Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Blue Drinks

Pages: 1 26 replies

OK, I've got a wedding coming up, which does have a tropical/tiki theme and the bride wants a blue drink. Besides the obvious, does anybody have any good (!) blue drinks. I hope that you guys can save me some time scouring the web and going through hundreds of bad blue curacao drinks!

S

Well technically you can make any drink that calls for an orange liqueur and just substitute it with blue curacao. So i'd be looking for recipes that use triple sec, Cointreau and even Grand Marnier, even though that is cognac based, as well as any with curacao.

chicks always dig the blue mai tai...

Blue Mai Tai could definitely work since blue and orange curaçao are interchangeable. Remixed has a small section dedicated to blue drinks that are supposedly much better than the obvious one but I've never tried any of the recipes so can't vouch for the quality of any of them.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2015-06-08 23:29 ]

A

I've gotta say the nicest blue drink I've found is the Blue Hawaii, here's the recipe with my tweaks:

3 oz fresh pineapple juice
1 oz lemon
1/2 sugar syrup
3/4 oz blue curacao
3/4 oz white Puerto Rican rum
3/4 oz vodka

It's a robust cocktail that IMO can be made with cheaper liquor in a pinch, the pineapple juice is the key ingredient so I use an inexpensive but good one. It does come out light blue / green (yellow pineapple + blue curaçao = not a true blue) but if you wanted to you could add flavourless / orange flavoured blue food to bump the 'blueness' up a bit.

It'd be easy to multiply up to make a big batch but pineapple juice does separate a little (eg the pulp sinks) so you may wish to allow guests to either stir the liquids if it's in a punch bowl or a jar with a tap in the side.

Your friend could also serve a few types of beers with blue labels (eg Blue Moon).

I never think blue curaçao is the highest quality so in contrary to everyone else, I'd leave the Mai Tai alone & invent or riff on something yourself (eg the Coconaut may not suffer to much from added curaçao or food colouring)

... or maybe just add a blue parasol to a regular Mai Tai :)

A

The Blue Hawaiian is another good cocktail, and easy to make:

2 oz Light rum
1/2 oz Blue curacao
2 oz Cream of coconut
4 oz Pineapple juice

Combine all ingredients in a blender with cracked ice and blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Pour into chilled highball glass and ganish with cherry and pineapple spear.

Blue Dolphin

1 oz vodka
1 oz French Vermouth
1/2 oz blue Curacao
1/2 oz coconut rum

Shake with ice cubes.

G

I always want a blue drink at my annual luau. My favorite is the Aquadisiac from Beachbum Berry. I've given away too much of the bum's hard work on here so instead of his single serving recipe, I'll list my hazy recollection of what I did to make it full sized.

1 750 Mount Gay
6.5 oz Orgeat
6.5 oz Blue Curacao
12 oz Lemon juice (adjust to your tart/sweet/water preference - this is the upper limit obviously and makes quite a tart drink. I probably ended up using 8 oz or so)
1 750 water (again, adjust this to your tart/sweet/water preference

Mix, refrigerate, pour over ice block or in decanter.

To really go out on a limb, I'll admit that I often just add some blue food coloring to an otherwise light colored punch because why not?

gabbahey

On 2015-06-09 13:29, gabbahey wrote:
To really go out on a limb, I'll admit that I often just add some blue food coloring to an otherwise light colored punch because why not?

This raises an interesting option:

-- Make a yellow cocktail, like the always popular Painkiller.
-- Add green coloring to get a nice shade of blue

:)

That would be a great drink if you were a Smurf who was in pain... :wink:

The Blue Hawaiian drinks were the obvious recipes to which I was referring. And since craft cocktails/all-natural ingredients is kind of our thing, using food coloring is kind of out.
And I have already considered the obvious Aviation and even a classic martini using Magellan gin (http://www.magellangin.com).

In my folders I have an Ocean Mist: http://liquor.com/recipes/ocean-mist/

And a Lady in Blue: http://liquor.com/recipes/the-lady-in-blue/#giSkrlWgPOCtIYcq.97

The problem with just substituting blue curacao for orange is that often mixing blue with many juices, like lime or passionfruit, gives you a less-than-pleasant color as a result.

Will try all the suggestions so far, though. Wedding isn't until October, so I have some time.

S

Our favorite blue "tiki" drink, and the only on we mix/drink in our house is the Marlin.

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 Luxardo Maraschino liuer
1/2 oz orgeat
1/2 oz blue curacao
1 oz amber Martinique rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican Rum

The Blue Hawaiian drinks were the obvious recipes to which I was referring. And since craft cocktails/all-natural ingredients is kind of our thing, using food coloring is kind of out.
And I have already considered the obvious Aviation and even a classic martini using Magellan gin (http://www.magellangin.com).

In my folders I have an Ocean Mist: http://liquor.com/recipes/ocean-mist/

And a Lady in Blue: http://liquor.com/recipes/the-lady-in-blue/#giSkrlWgPOCtIYcq.97

The problem with just substituting blue curacao for orange is that often mixing blue with many juices, like lime or passionfruit, gives you a less-than-pleasant color as a result.

Will try all the suggestions so far, though. Wedding isn't until October, so I have some time.

On 2015-06-09 14:35, TikiHardBop wrote:
And since craft cocktails/all-natural ingredients is kind of our thing, using food coloring is kind of out.

How do you think they make blue curaçao blue? Unfortunately if you want blue drinks you'll have to make that sacrifice one way or another.

If you don't want food coloring in your drink then you won't be able to use Blue Curacao. Curaçao liqueur is naturally colorless but is often given artificial coloring, most commonly blue or orange. There are not very many agriculture plants that contain blue color. The only one I can think of is blue corn.

A

Here is my attempt at recreating the Blue Gardenia cocktail (for two people) that used to be served at the Bali Hai in San Diego:

4 oz Martinique Rum
1 oz Blue Curacao
2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1 oz Brandy
1 1/2 oz Simple Syrup

Blend with crushed ice. Garnish with a gardenia blossom

the drinks with pineapple and orange juice are the ones that turn green. if you stick to clear/light amber rums, you'll have a nice blue mai tai. the ladies will enjoy it. put a big maraschino cherry in it as garnish. i dont think you can make anything blue that will impress a craft cocktail enthusiast anyhow.

On 2015-06-10 07:39, mikehooker wrote:

On 2015-06-09 14:35, TikiHardBop wrote:
And since craft cocktails/all-natural ingredients is kind of our thing, using food coloring is kind of out.

How do you think they make blue curaçao blue? Unfortunately if you want blue drinks you'll have to make that sacrifice one way or another.

Touché :wink:

Yeah, I know that blue curacao is artificially colored, but I didn't want to be adding any more artificial ingredients to the drink than I could. And I'm just looking for something that is blue, it doesn't necessarily have to have Blue Curacao, which of course, does narrow down the list of possible ingredients.

W

Blueberry Caipirinha? But someone's going to have to do one hell of a lot of muddling. And it won't look nearly as cool as a blue curacao drink. I'd go for the Blue Curacao Mai Tai.

Blue Gatorade and Everclear!

You did say this wedding was at a trailer park, right?

:)

Pretty close! And this is the wedding I was asking for Sunny&Rummy to help with!

I just watched the barkeep at Las Cazuelas in Palm Springs concoct a blue Margarita. It’s called a “Margarita Del Mar” and he used Blue Curacao instead of Triple Sec. Blue cocktails do not excite me.
Cheers

Pretty close! And this is the wedding I was asking for Sunny&Rummy to help with!

C

Any brand suggestions for Blue Curacao?

I've seen this for sale at Sprouts Grocery Store.

It's concentrate from the butterfly blue pea flower. It's all natural and it turns your drinks blue.

http://b-lure.com/ for more information and recipes.

http://www.wildhibiscus.com Where to buy.

K

On 2015-06-25 22:05, Corie wrote:
Any brand suggestions for Blue Curacao?

I'd say get whatever you can. If you want the best, try Senior Curacao of Curacao. If not, given how rarely you'll be making blue drinks, just go with Hiram Walker or Dekuyper.

Pages: 1 26 replies