Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Have you seen this? Boardreader.com

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

T

Boardreader.com Has info on what goes on post wise on Tikicentral.
Kinda cool.

http://boardreader.com/site/Tiki_Central_666060111.html

Top authors during last week:

NamePosts
KonaKaiBaby27
danlovestikis25
AceExplorer21
hang10tiki18
mikehooker15
VampiressRN14
tikiskip12
RevBambooBen10
MadDogMike10

Top 10 forums on Tiki Central:

General Tiki - 109,682 posts General Tiki: forum profile
California Events - 84,962 posts California Events: forum profile
Other Crafts - 59,371 posts Other Crafts: forum profile
Collecting Tiki - 53,764 posts Collecting Tiki: forum profile
Tiki Carving - 47,480 posts Tiki Carving: forum profile
Tiki Marketplace - 41,125 posts Tiki Marketplace: forum profile
Other Events - 30,532 posts Other Events: forum profile
Tiki Drinks and Food - 25,976 posts Tiki Drinks and Food: forum profile
Locating Tiki - 20,195 posts Locating Tiki: forum profile
Tiki Music - 19,726 posts Tiki Music: forum profile

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-06-17 05:25 ]

T

boardreader.com has a Posting activity graph that took a dive starting on the 15th of this month.
Would guess this is due to Hukilau.

AND Tiki central Site rank 2,648 (go to rank page)
Most of the top sites are Chinese / Japanese?

Come on TC cat sites are kicking our butt.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-06-17 05:42 ]

Holy carp, don't show my boss that list! heheheheh...

T

He would just look at it and say "who is AceExplorer?"
Plus you almost beat Wendy on most posts!

And RevBambooBen almost never posts, if not for his bad back he would not be on the top ten list.
Keep postin Ben.

Don't know how accurate it is.
Fun to look at.

D'oh! Don't show MY boss! I'm supposed to be working on a big book editing project! :o

I think our jobs are partly to blame. The more we get stuck doing paperwork and other relatively mundane tasks, the more we need to "wander" with our brains and take a break. TC offers exactly that sort of escape many times throughout the day.

So it's not my fault - I blame my job! :lol:

T

KonaKaiBaby you were top o the list too.
Your prize is on it's way.

At least your not on some cute cat site.

Ace, I like it...I'm going to embrace that philosophy. It's not my fault, it's my job's fault for being so boring!

Skip, noooooo definitely not on cat sites. My husband might be slightly relieved, if I was...if he didn't hate cats so much. Because if I make him look at one more tiki bar pic online, I think his head will explode :o He's actually a very good sport. Drove to Canada for me last week to get a peacock chair off of Craigslist.

Hmmm...talking about why I'm not getting my work done seems to be a great way of avoiding work! If only there was a way to insert tikis into environmental studies, my problems would be solved...

KonaKaiBaby, I think you may have a much more serious issue to contend with... Did your hubby pick up that chair in Canada and then also bring you back some of the "special" rums they have for sale there? Heheheheh... That would be true love!

Sadly, no. But it's my fault for not asking. But I'm sure we'll be up there at least once before the summer is out! There's hope yet! :)

That is funny Skip, I see my name just popped up, but I have barely been posting the last few months
TCers get to posting more!

Top 5 baby! Wait, does this mean I have a problem? I mean, 95% of my queries are in the drinks forum. I guess I'll have to fix myself a drink and ponder that one...

Tiki Centrals raking on this boardreader site fell to 3,081 down from 2,648.
look for that to go up as you know who is gone, I kid.:)

Looks like we need more pictures of cats and other BS as this tiki things not working.
Or is cats and BS the problem?
Hummm.

Name Posts
hang10tiki 34
mikehooker 14
JenTiki 14
AceExplorer 13
kkocka 12
VanIsleVibes 12
hiltiki 10

http://boardreader.com/site/Tiki_Central_666060111.html

J

And they try to tell us tiki isn't all about the drinks! More than the next two most active forums put together.

Top 10 active forums on Tiki Central during last week:

Tiki Drinks and Food - 107 new posts Tiki Drinks and Food: forum profile
General Tiki - 59 new posts General Tiki: forum profile
Collecting Tiki - 45 new posts Collecting Tiki: forum profile
Home Tiki Bars - 35 new posts Home Tiki Bars: forum profile
Other Crafts - 31 new posts Other Crafts: forum profile
Tiki Carving - 25 new posts Tiki Carving: forum profile
California Events - 18 new posts California Events: forum profile
Locating Tiki - 18 new posts Locating Tiki: forum profile
Tiki Marketplace - 15 new posts Tiki Marketplace: forum profile
Other Events - 8 new posts Other Events: forum profile

On 2016-04-29 10:29, JenTiki wrote:
And they try to tell us tiki isn't all about the drinks! More than the next two most active forums put together.

Top 10 active forums on Tiki Central during last week:

Tiki Drinks and Food - 107 new posts Tiki Drinks and Food: forum profile
General Tiki - 59 new posts General Tiki: forum profile
Collecting Tiki - 45 new posts Collecting Tiki: forum profile
Home Tiki Bars - 35 new posts Home Tiki Bars: forum profile
Other Crafts - 31 new posts Other Crafts: forum profile
Tiki Carving - 25 new posts Tiki Carving: forum profile
California Events - 18 new posts California Events: forum profile
Locating Tiki - 18 new posts Locating Tiki: forum profile
Tiki Marketplace - 15 new posts Tiki Marketplace: forum profile
Other Events - 8 new posts Other Events: forum profile

I think a lot of those posts in the Tiki Drinks forum shouldn't really apply as they are about beer.

"I think a lot of those posts in the Tiki Drinks forum shouldn't really apply as they are about beer."

I thought the same thing.
But then how many posts on TC are even remotely about Tiki these days?

Ballast Point does have 3 tiki mugs out, which might make them the most tiki friendly beer :wink:

H

Maybe we could have a "What tiki beer are you drinking now" thread?

On 2016-04-29 12:02, hiltiki wrote:
Maybe we could have a "What tiki beer are you drinking now" thread?

That would be right up there with "What cocktail and liquor inventions of the Polynesians do you prefer in your home bar?"

:)

:drink:

J

Or a "what beer are you drinking" thread in the Beyond Tiki forum.

T

"What cocktail and liquor inventions of the Polynesians do you prefer in your home bar?"

"Tikicentral
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop"

I don't know if that even fits in the definition of Tiki Central.
Would that fall more under ancient Polynesian history?

Plus if we did follow What cocktail and liquor inventions of the Polynesians that would
be Kava root chewed up and spit into a big bowl that everyone would then share, gross!

The yeast in the spit would help ferment the Kava and make a booze of sorts.
Some tribes drink it every night so says Going tribal TV show.

This may be where the mystery bowl idea came from, only with the Polynesian mystery bowl
it was more of a "what virus or disease am I going to get from this"?

Well, now that you put it all that way, didn't the ancient Polynesians invent the Boston shaker?

:D

At least I'm not in the top 10 anymore LOL

T

On 2016-04-29 14:34, AceExplorer wrote:
Well, now that you put it all that way, didn't the ancient Polynesians invent the Boston shaker?
:D

No, that was the booty shaker the ancient Polynesians invented.

On 2016-04-29 10:57, Hakalugi wrote:

I think a lot of those posts in the Tiki Drinks forum shouldn't really apply as they are about beer.

At least being about beer would be a contribution, instead we get this content gold:

On 2016-04-29 04:21, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2016-04-28 19:41, Tiki501 wrote:
It wasn't meant to be useful.

This made me laugh out loud.

T

Quote:
On 2016-04-28 12:55, kkocka wrote:

Quote:
On 2016-04-28 12:40, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Unless there is a revision to correct/improve it, this is not very useful.

Agreed. But as I've said in other Gorilla Grog-related topics, I remember reading (maybe from All Ears?) that there's POG, pineapple, lemon, and falernum in Gorilla Grog. It's the proportions that need fooling around.

Quote:Tiki501 wrote:
"Ok, tiki queer."

Ha! you left out the best part where you are called a "tiki queer"
What is a "tiki queer"?

You drinks nutz get worked up over fruit juice mixes that is for sure.

Some serious BS IMO Skip.

T

Just to be clear I did not say "tiki queer"
I did not know what Loki was talking about and looked it up to find the juice fight.
And that quote.

Yeah that was directed at the comment, not you Skip! I just didn't want to quote the comment :wink:

T

Ok that's good.
The guy who said it is a good guy I guess, we have emailed each other.

I just never understood getting so worked up and calling names and S$%t over a drink mix.
Where's the Aloha?

T

Sooo here is an update from Boardreader.com Looks like we went from Site rank 2,648 on 2015-06-17 to a whopping Site rank of 5,321 on this date of 10/26/2016.
You know who is still gone and all those who said they stay away because of the flaming on TC don’t seem to have come back.

Sad indeed.
It may be time to add TIKICENTRAL to The Dead Thread in Bilge.

At this date there are two items on Cool & Current…

1. The Original TIKI Market Place's Happy Hula Days S...
    And
  2. Kirby's Rumpus Room 7 yrs. & still going strong!

TIKICENTRAL:
Site rank: 5,321
hang10tiki
danlovestikis
Hurricane Hayward
nui 'umi 'u
Hami-The-Tiki-Torch
TikiAno
JenTiki
arcadiandj
Dr. Coruba

Top 10 forums on Tiki Central:
General Tiki - 112,760 posts General Tiki: forum profile
California Events - 86,681 posts California Events: forum profile
Other Crafts - 62,840 posts Other Crafts: forum profile
Collecting Tiki - 55,653 posts Collecting Tiki: forum profile
Tiki Carving - 49,145 posts Tiki Carving: forum profile
Tiki Marketplace - 42,784 posts Tiki Marketplace: forum profile
Other Events - 31,212 posts Other Events: forum profile
Tiki Drinks and Food - 29,790 posts Tiki Drinks and Food: forum profile
Locating Tiki - 21,646 posts Locating Tiki: forum profile

*•..(¯•..¤(¯*•.(¯•..¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤..•*´¯)

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Let Tikiskip light up your Halloween¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Wise Skip, What is your opinion on the reason?.....The great divide over The TIKI show mess at Don's?....The evil (which I still am not a part of) Facebook?....That not to be mentioned November event?...Not enough stuff on eBay to flip?...No new TIKI Jeep? WTF?

That 'flaming' that you mentioned? That's an excellent way to kill a forum, and I've seen more than one die because of it.

T

"That 'flaming' that you mentioned? That's an excellent way to kill a forum"

Well you got that on Facebook too.
The thing about Facebook is the user can let in ONLY the cool kats they like.
Heck the whole world seems to be flaming each other at this time so why would TC be different?

"What is your opinion on the reason?....."
The bloom is off the rose a bit, and there is not as much new stuff to say hey look at this as well.

BUT one point to look at is of the four? people ever kicked off of TC THEY for better or worst did add to TC.
LOTS of times the people who complain the most about these types are only here for a short time and then they leave so it is a net loss really.

My goal is not to get anyone reinstated just my thoughts on the matter.

The tiki world just seemed to fight itself from the start, this event against that one, that group over this group, this state OWNS tiki, no it's this state too.

You would think that a stupid hobby would bring like people together, but it has not.

Look at what IS still hot on TC, THE MONEY, yep, folks who have something to sell.
Ever notice that people who are getting ready to sell a new Mug, event or book get real chatty on TC right before the product they are pushing drops.

HEY nobody will keep watching TV if it is ALL advertising.
But the same ten people selling to each other can't keep this commercial called TC alive.

I probably check into TC 5 times a day anticipating new posts and a lot of times there's nothing new. I guess I could sign up for notifications but I hate a cluttered inbox and find it funner to just pop in at random parts of the day and see what I get. Sometimes I'll bump an old thread or start a new one just to get some dialog going. I don't frequent any other forums of any kind and I hate Facebook and otherwise interacting with people interwebly. But Tiki Central brings me a lot of joy and has been an invaluable tool for me over the past few years. I have several friends that I've gotten really into tiki (especially the cocktail aspect) and I've encouraged them to join the discussions but none have bothered to sign up. I'm not sure how to make it more "appealing" to draw people in. Even if there aren't a lot of new things being discovered to excite people these days, there's a trail of artifacts laying around here to keep people busy for a long while.

OGR

"BUT one point to look at is of the four? people ever kicked off of TC THEY for better or worst did add to TC.
LOTS of times the people who complain the most about these types are only here for a short time and then they leave so it is a net loss really.'

"My goal is not to get anyone reinstated just my thoughts on the matter."

Well put Skip, and I agree w/ all aspects of that. I have personally enjoyed TC for the locating and collecting, as a 30 year Restaurant Career Professional and a Restaurant Research/Collector/Artist as long. I do enjoy other aspects such as cocktails/home bars/art/ etc. but what I also TRULY love is the escape, which is how this whole thing started in the first place, correct?

T

“as a 30 year Restaurant Career Professional and a Restaurant Research/Collector/Artist”

Our paths in life seem very much the same.
Don’t know if that makes me like you more or dislike you knowing the horrible person you must be being so much like myself.
I kid.

The one trait that people who still come to TC often is they don’t do other forms of social media as much as people that have kinda put TC to the side do.
Would be interesting to know if the people who don’t do lots of other social media are older as well.
I would bet they are.

One thing about the computer / social media age is people are flighty they don’t stick to things long their attention span is very short as a new shiny object pops up every other day.

The computer / social media age is very ME, me, me orientated once people feel left out they check out and find a place they fit in.
This has formed at least two other tiki type groups that fractioned off of TC really, one is gone now, but one person gets dissed and goes away mad and collects up all the other pissed off people.

I can’t follow people, could not even make it in Boy Scouts.
It’s a much harder road to follow your path and convictions, have seen yes men where life is much easier, but then there are way too many yes men these days.

It's kinda weird.
In the last 3 days since I last posted
I've had 1332 views.
I traditionally see 200 a day.
Less people are commenting than back in the day.
More views less participation.
Go figure.

I've said this before, and here I go again...

Despite some human-nature negatives, Tiki Central remains a large searchable database of tiki information. That's not true of Facebook and other social media sites.

Many thanks to Hanford and the moderators, and to whoever else is involved behind the bark cloth curtain!

T

Will carve I too look at your thread, great stuff!
Have seen where a thread will get one hundred thousand votes in 3 days, come on we
all know that is not the true number though.
Somebody clicks back and forth till tons of hits are counted but it's just one guy doing it, many times a friend of the thread poster or even the thread poster who is REALLY into lager hit numbers on their own thread.
so I'm not so sure about the hit counts on TC.

And AceExplorer I too think TC is great and has good things to offer still and even support it with lots of time and even donate money to it's cause.

Skip, I know you're on board. Just had to say it for the benefit of those who bring up the flame wars and other negative stuff. It's not always clear just how much of a repository this system is. How often do we read other blogs and magazine articles and see that the author very likely looked at some of the info posted here? This place rocks!

J

On 2016-10-27 04:26, tikiskip wrote:

The one trait that people who still come to TC often is they don’t do other forms of social media as much as people that have kinda put TC to the side do.

I'm not sure I agree with this assumption. I'm on that list of top posters above, but I'm also still very active on facebook and on reddit lately too. What I have noticed about my own participation, is that since moving across the country from most everyone I know two years ago, I depend more on TC and facebook for keeping in touch, with friends, events, rum news, etc. Sometimes it's the only social interaction I get for several days, aside from co-workers with whom I have very little in common.

I also want to comment on the folks who've been kicked off ... I think four is a pretty low number, but a lot of the folks who've been removed weren't around long enough for people to really remember them. They showed up, flamed a few folks, and were summarily dismissed before making enough impression for anyone to really miss them. Yes, there are a few others who've been kicked off in recent years who really did make a contribution, but ruffled a lot of feathers in the process. I think in some cases, permanent suspension may have been a bit harsh and perhaps a "time-out" would have sufficed, but then I am not privy to all the backroom conversations that go on. So what do I know? I know that moderating this forum can't be an easy job and the moderators are just doing the best they can with the evidence available to them, and I respect that.

S

Speaking of it, I have been considering what happens to my sites when I pass, and made me wonder about TC. If Hanford stops maintaining it, or just does not pay the registration or hosting, this site and all its info would vanish forever. That would be a big loss. Is there any way to put TC into some sort of protected space where many people are able to keep it alive for a long time instead of just one guy?

How many cool websites are now gone? Remember Vegas Vic and all the fantastic music he shared? Gone.

Cataloging just Locating Tiki into a book would be a big volume.

But the answer has been the same for 6 years or more: The age of discovery is almost completely over. Newly opened Tiki bars may outnumber vintage ones by now, and if not, they will soon. We have perhaps unfortunately (IMO) resurrected Tiki. And all these new places and the things involving them are not what TC is designed for. Facebook is. New mugs sell more and for more money than vintage. People are waiting in long lines and paying too much money for a Trader Sam's mug. The Tiki Farm Mai-Kai decanter sells for more than the original.

We are in the new Tiki era and TC is the Encyclopedia America of the old Tiki reawakening era.

Look at Hukilau last year. A bunch of the presentations were Tiki old timers talking about how they got started in it and got here today. The history of the history of people of Tiki in the new era.

I was a bit set back by recent visitors to my home bar and how very casual they were about the bar and the cocktails. Then I realized these were people who got into Tiki in the last few years and every Tiki bar they have been to were pretty much new, well decorated and served great drinks. And they dissed the old places and really had no room for them. They'd rather go to Lost Lake than Hala Kahiki.

We turned the corner. It is now a post-revival era. And as much as Sven did for TC and the old revival era, Jeff Berry is who made this new era possible. If he had not published Donn's recipes and made very good Tiki drinks available for all, new bars would not have opened. At least not when they did. Since then many of us have Donn's recipes and they would have come out probably, but we may not have been as aware without Jeff's work.

I'm active on a lot of social media and come here a few times a day, but only ever look at a few things. Locating Tiki and some cocktail and vintage stuff threads.

I'm also kind of over the new Tiki era. It may seem like the ultimate end of what we've been doing here to resurrect Tiki and have new, awesome Tiki bars opening all over the country serving great cocktails, but not to me. I have little interest in new Tiki bars. Glad that my friends and doing great business and are really coming into a big time with their products and services. Heck, I'd rather have a good Old Fashioned than a good Tiki drink.

But I still wish I'd gone ahead and opened the Headhunter Lounge in 2004 in downtown Knoxville and be an old guard Tiki bar now. Would have really changed my life. But maybe it's best the way it is.

Swanky, good points and observations. From the standpoint of cocktails only, I have been observing what I suspect could become another fracture or schism among tiki cocktail revivalists -- the "purists" and the "modernists." The purists will tend to know and appreciate and prefer the old drinks and their subtle flavors and balances. The modernists will tend to embrace and encourage and prefer the newer drinks which rely heavily on innovative new syrups wild tinctures and sometimes esoteric and strange bitters, which are often things you cannot or do not want to make at your home bar. This makes the latter category of folks, the modernists, very 'professional bar-dependent' because they tend to get their tiki only where the bar owners don't mind taking whole 750ml bottles of 'expensive liquor X' and making 'old gym sock, shoe leather, and ginger tincture.'

To be clear, purists and modernists are both extremes on the scale. I fall somewhere in between, but will always profess a profound love and understanding and appreciation for the classics. And like you, I enjoy a well-made Old Fashioned too, among many other things outside of tiki.

I think what we're seeing is just plain old human nature. A lot of the new tiki folks come into it through their local "tiki" bars, and only a few come to endeavor to build a home bar. They will tend to most often be served by bartenders, and will rarely come to use recipe books and re-create drinks at home, with the possible exception of some shots, and maybe margaritas with Cuervo.

But there is a golden opportunity for us tiki folk, and others out there, to help bring about a home bar revival. Let the word get out that people can have pure awesomeness behind the stick in their own homes, combined with great social fun, and we can help folks discover more of the historical cocktail aspect of vintage tiki. I tell people often that our grandparents really knew how to drink!

So I recognize that this post is cocktail-centric. I think similar things can be said for décor, carvings, exotica music, food, etc. which are also being discovered by new folks to tiki.

"Tiki bars opening all over the country serving great cocktails, but not to me. I have little interest in new Tiki bars"

I agree with this right here, now there are a few great new ones.
But for me it's all about the old places, Heck I would rather go to an old restaurant of any kind than many new tiki bars.
Like the one 15 minutes from me, hey I've been there twice.

But then the places people like me like go down right and left these days sooo.

Tiki central is suffering from a case of "locking the barn after the horses got out". Over the years They were very slow to deal with the fighting, trolls, bad behavior, spam and thieves. It caused people to leave. Now that its peaceful and nice, nobody is here to see it.

Why didn't the people come back?

Here's why...

In the beginning, tiki central was the only game in town, love or hate it. Now with facebook, people have options, and to be truthful, better options. Except for the history and information about tiki of the past, facebook provides a much friendly platform. Easier to use, easier to filter out things you don't wanna see, easier to filter out the idiots. You have far less internet bullies and keyboard tough guys due to real names, pictures and access to their entire life being a click away, unlike here where people using aliases are free to smack talk and bully anonymously. Moderators are quicker to crack down on nonsense (especially Adrian's group which is awesome).

Now let me repeat...nothing beats TC for information on the past. this place a history book, and I love history....which is why I'm still here.

Like someone mentioned earlier, a lot of people don't care about the past, so why come here? It provides nothing for them.

Facebook has the things they wanna see, its easier to use and less drama.

Other than history, TC provides nothing tiki people can't get faster and easier from facebook.

In order to make TC great again.... Somebody from TC staff would have to get involved. The owners and moderators don't seem to be around. Obviously the owner cares enough to keep it going and pay the bills...which I'm extremely appreciative of..... but beyond that?

TC staff have done nothing in years to make this place better. No updates, slow dealing with bullies, took forever to get the spam problem fixed, nothing new at all, heck for years we've had to see that "missing link" screen on "finding tiki" thread when a new page rolls over. (see pic below)

How would these people who left TC know that its a nice place to come back to? TC does no advertising, no socializing, doesn't reach out into the community to encourage people and there hasn't been any cool extra stuff for Grand Members in years. Unless these people checked it out for themselves, how would they know it cool to come back?

There are probably tons of tiki people that got into it in the last few years that have no idea tiki central exists!

Now, I'm not throwing the owners/moderators under the bus. Maybe they do care, maybe they don't, maybe TC is exactly what they want it to be...but to make TC great again, it would take changes, updates, promotion and those would have to come from the top.

TC needs to give people a reason to come back and entice new people to notice them.

H

Would anybody like to step up and be a moderator? Tiki Central is seeking one or two.

On 2016-10-27 19:43, Hakalugi wrote:
Would anybody like to step up and be a moderator? Tiki Central is seeking one or two.

What’s involved? Lotsa details please Hak.
Cheers

Pages: 1 2 78 replies