Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar Presents Tahitian Terrace Daimond Luau

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

This will probably be announced later by the Disney marketing machine, but the website is up and taking reservations now. Book while you can before the limited seats are gone!

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/trader-sams-diamond-luau/

Wonderng if Disney saw a chance to get folks headed to Tiki Oasis to come to this?

Damn. Monday and Tuesday. What a time to have weekends off!

K

On 2015-07-10 09:05, Biotron2000 wrote:
Damn. Monday and Tuesday. What a time to have weekends off!

Call in sick? Anyway I think it was timed w/the coming weekend being D23 and all. Given that the days and times are spread out, it seems like they've learned a bit from all the negative, and deserved, Mahaloween feedback.

See you there Tues 11th at 7!

Sounds great. I wonder what the mug is... maybe it'll be a new one for Sam's, like we saw with the Mahaloween event.

Call me a sucker for this stuff, but I'm in! Monday at 5. I hope the "specially designed mug" will be a new design, unlike the re-glazed Zombie for Mahaloween, but whatever it ends up being, we'll have fun being there.
Cheers!
:drink:

K

On 2015-07-10 10:20, finky099 wrote:
I hope the "specially designed mug" will be a new design, unlike the re-glazed Zombie for Mahaloween

Damn, wish you were there at 7 dude! We'll cross paths temporarily at least. The mug will be a brand new design, not a reglaze. I'm told it's pretty cool.

I'll be there with kkocka on Tuesday at 7. Disney still hasn't advertised this event yet. Let's fill it up with tiki villagers before the pixiedusters find out!

Booked for Tuesday at 7! I don't know why I'm doing this after going to mahaloween last year but I'm a sucker?

On 2015-07-10 13:25, Tiki_Koro wrote:
I'll be there with kkocka on Tuesday at 7. Disney still hasn't advertised this event yet. Let's fill it up with tiki villagers before the pixiedusters find out!

Are you coming from Orlando?

On 2015-07-10 16:06, Jungle Chris wrote:

Yes, I'll be there all week for the D23 Expo.

On 2015-07-10 17:06, Tiki_Koro wrote:

On 2015-07-10 16:06, Jungle Chris wrote:

Yes, I'll be there all week for the D23 Expo.

What are the chances of you bringing some trader sams grog grotto mugs with you? I'll buy you a drink and happily pay you for them!

On 2015-07-10 22:16, Jungle Chris wrote:

What are the chances of you bringing some trader sams grog grotto mugs with you? I'll buy you a drink and happily pay you for them!

I would be happy to. PM me, and we can make arrangements.

On 2015-07-11 05:41, Tiki_Koro wrote:

On 2015-07-10 22:16, Jungle Chris wrote:

I would be happy to. PM me, and we can make arrangements.

Very awesome of you! PM sent! We will be at d23 as well!

K

I'm eager to taste the Tahitian Terrace Punch, and how that varies from the version served with alcohol. I've never had the punch, and the internet isn't yielding good recipe results as there's a confusion with Planters Punch Tahitian.

Anyone looking to sell their mug or their print or both? :)

K

On 2015-07-11 22:08, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Anyone looking to sell their mug or their print or both? :)

If the print is anything like last year's Mahaloween print, I'll probably happily sell it. :lol:

^ Seriously. That thing is a mess.

P

Anyone that is going to this event--I don't know if there will be any extra mugs, or if anyone is coveting anything from the east coast, but I'd be happy to trade any of the TS Grog Grotto mugs, or the WDW Polynesian Village mugs for one! PM me!

K

Well I haven't read anything about the option to buy a second mug ala Mahaloween 2014, however I've been told this mug will be the "special edition" and that the mug will have a public version available for the remainder of the 60th Celebration. Like Mahaloween 2014.

On 2015-07-15 17:33, kkocka wrote:
Well I haven't read anything about the option to buy a second mug ala Mahaloween 2014, however I've been told this mug will be the "special edition" and that the mug will have a public version available for the remainder of the 60th Celebration. Like Mahaloween 2014.

Keith, are you still of the opinion that this mug will be a new mold/design instead of a new glaze on an existing mold? Sounded like "new mug" before but wondering if your source is now more vague about that point. Interesting that whatever it is, it may be around through the rest of the 60th. Makes me think you're right about it being a whole new mold.

Or maybe it'll just end up being a limited colored Tahitian Pearl! (JK)

On 2015-07-15 22:56, finky099 wrote:
Or maybe it'll just end up being a limited colored Tahitian Pearl! (JK)

That's not funny! :wink:

K

On 2015-07-15 22:56, finky099 wrote:
Keith, are you still of the opinion that this mug will be a new mold/design instead of a new glaze on an existing mold?

New mug, though apparently two variations/glazes from what it sounds like - we get the special edition (probably marked up more on the bottom of the mug) and then there will be a general public edition that will likely have different colors etc. Just speculation, though I'm certain on the new mug aspect.

EDIT: It seems like despite no official announcement/advertisement of the event, word has spread to the MiceChat forums (ugh) but the general opinion is that this event is too costly to participate in (which I agree with, despite participating in).

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-07-16 10:05 ]

On 2015-07-16 10:04, kkocka wrote:
... but the general opinion is that this event is too costly to participate in (which I agree with, despite participating in).

Yeah, I didn't remember the last one being $150pp, but Nikki said that's about what she remembered. I must have been in the euphoria of having full employment and a paycheck again. But, I'm still going again anyway, too. (I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.)

Anyway, that's exciting at about the new mug. I hope we'll be able to buy an extra like last time.

$150 is steep. But I would pay it If I were going to be there. And the idea of a new mug, even without the Luau glaze, is still exciting. I will pick one up (hopefully) in October.

On 2015-07-16 10:36, finky099 wrote:
Yeah, I didn't remember the last one being $150pp, but Nikki said that's about what she remembered. I must have been in the euphoria of having full employment and a paycheck again. But, I'm still going again anyway, too. (I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.)

Anyway, that's exciting at about the new mug. I hope we'll be able to buy an extra like last time.

Mahaloween was $125, and that was totally not worth it. Hopefully they've learned from that failure (aren't I the optimist), and this will be worth the $25 markup. And I'm with you finky, even though it was a bust, I'm in for the Luau too.

K

Disney Parks Blog finally gave a formal update with details:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/07/trader-sams-enchanted-tiki-bar-at-the-disneyland-hotel-presents-tahitian-terrace-diamond-luau/

Everyone also gets goodies:
-a commemorative Tahitian Terrace Diamond luau lei
-a special edition diamond Tiki glass and swizzle stick
-a Tahitian Terrace print on parchment
-and a Tahitian Punch recipe card.

Guests can also purchase up to two Diamond Tiki glasses.

The only thing I'm right away worried about is the "commemorative Tahitian Terrace Diamond luau lei" which already sounds like it will be this event's version of the "Trader Sam's Panama Hat," i.e. a cheapo Oriental Trading Company gift. The print on parchment is another concern I have, based on the Mahaloween print as well. Things always tend to sound promising, and now I can't help but feel guarded.

F

Thanks for the heads-up, KK. At lesat there's a sneak peek at the mug. Sounds like there will be a special swizzle, too, which is cool.

I'm betting you're right about the lei and canvas print, but I'm holding out hope the canvas print will at least be in a style that "speaks to me" more than the Mahaloween one, which just didn't. At all.

Cheers!

New mug!

Here's the link on the Disney Parks Blog. Comes with a swizzle stick and you can buy more mugs. :)

[ Edited by: EPCOTExplorer 2015-07-20 14:47 ]

I'll buy someone's event gifts if the don't want them. PM or email:[email protected]

P

No takers to swap for a Grog Grotto mug? Or willing to sell me one of their extras?

I managed to get a reservation for the 11th; the 10th was booked up. Really looking forward to this!

On 2015-07-22 09:57, Biotron2000 wrote:
I managed to get a reservation for the 11th; the 10th was booked up. Really looking forward to this!

I think you got in right under the wire, it looks sold out now!

Whew! I just checked, and you're right! I wonder if I got the last one. And how they're going to handle a reservation for a party of one.

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 2015-07-22 14:21 ]

I just checked and they are still selling tickets for the 5pm show on the 11th. See you there! Louis

Cool! Maybe they blocked my IP since I made a reservation already. Glad you got in!

On 2015-07-22 14:18, Biotron2000 wrote:
...And how they're going to handle a reservation for a party of one.

If it goes down like Mahaloween, and I suspect it will be very similar, there's no hostess seating, or even enough seats for everyone. Just wherever you feel like sitting, if you want to sit, or just walk around and read the exhibits, and listen to the presentation. I am looking forward to the dancers.

So who is falling for this years "Money Grab"?

K

On 2015-07-23 12:10, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Me, every time. If I really felt so entitled I'd resell everything to make my money back and then some.

O

On 2015-07-23 12:10, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Guess we are suckers....

Two seats opened up for 10 August @ 7:00 and we grabbed them.

Truth be told we were at Trader Sam's last Saturday and Bartender Roy recommended attending, if possible.

As it became possible, dual Birthday presents.....

Anyone interested in meeting up in the (Disneyland) Park on Tuesday, the 11th? I took the day off to go to the 5:00 show.

K

On 2015-07-29 04:54, Biotron2000 wrote:
Anyone interested in meeting up in the (Disneyland) Park on Tuesday, the 11th? I took the day off to go to the 5:00 show.

I might make myself available, depending on when I decide to call it at day at work and how the traffic is. I want to have plenty of time as though I were attending the 5pm show, although I'm 7pm.

Also, from my rough understanding, the swizzle stick mentioned for the included gift package will look familiar to some from the Tahitian Terrace days:

Oh man, I really was disappointed with last year's cash grab. Still have that god awful "print" rolled up in the trunk as I never bothered to take it out.

If it's like last year and folks can buy multiples of the special mug, I'll gladly pay someone as well as toss in enough to get yourself a drink on me.

Local to the area and can easily meet up. The mug looks nice, but am not going to drop $150 in hopes that I eat that value in ahi filled cones that they were serving up.

F

On 2015-08-01 10:56, kkocka wrote:

Also, from my rough understanding, the swizzle stick mentioned for the included gift package will look familiar to some from the Tahitian Terrace days:

I dig that maori-inspired swizzle. Thinking wishful that maybe Sam's will get a new swizzle or two for the bar sometime soon (one of the unused Kidney designs?) Wonder if there's a possibility they use a version of the commemorative one for the remainder of the 60th.

Cheers!

If anyone's going to Disneyland Tuesday before the event and wants to meet up, send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

Going to the 5 o'clock tonight. The first time in quite a while I've been this excited for a Monday.
Cheers!

Just got back and I really loved this event, well done and way to pull yourselves back from the mahalloween catastrophe

Any bits of info on the whole thing? What I'm gathering is that the 1 mug that was included was the Diamond white edition and the extras they let you buy was a darker tone colored one that is going to sell through at Trader Sam's whenever they decide to crank them out?

Pages: 1 2 77 replies