Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar Presents Tahitian Terrace Daimond Luau

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

The print looks a lot nicer this time.

So same lay out as last time? Small bites and two drinks along with some entertainment/info dropping for the few hours before mug pick up / option to purchase the non-diamond white mug? Was that darker one the one that is just going to end up inside TS?

Swizzle sticks those pictured already and how about that recipe for Tahitian Punch?

[ Edited by: tikijackskeleton 2015-08-11 05:27 ]

On 2015-08-11 05:17, tikijackskeleton wrote:
So same lay out as last time? Small bites and two drinks along with some entertainment/info dropping for the few hours before mug pick up / option to purchase the non-diamond white mug? Was that darker one the one that is just going to end up inside TS?

Swizzle sticks those pictured already and how about that recipe for Tahitian Punch?

It was held on a large lawn area, on the other side behind the pool area. The check in was in front of Tangaroa Terrance, which seemed to throw some people off, as they got in line for the event, but had not yet checked in. Not sure why the check in was so far removed from the event. This was a MUCH better location, and really worked out to make it feel relaxed and enjoyable. Two drinks are included. One mug, the light blue glazed version was given out in the "swag bag." You could buy two additional mugs, the dark blue mottled version for $30 a pop. The artists for both the mug and Tahitian Terrace print were on hand to sign the items. There was a recipe card for the punch in the bag too, there was NO swizzle stick.

I don't think the darker mug will be at TS, as it is inscribed with Diamond Luau and the date on the bottom, as the light blue version. If that mug is going to TS, it will probably be a different glaze again (just my speculation).

Eats provided were pork sliders, veggie cones, and coconut fried shrimp. For dessert there were small cupcakes, I forgot the flavor, but everything was decent.

F

I agree that this event was better than the Mahaloween for the reasons Loki mentions above. The Wahine and I were disappointed that the food assortment was decidedly inferior though. Quality-wise the same, we just expected more variety based on hat we had at Mahaloween. Was disappointed there were no swizzles, but I'm still holding out hope some appear at Sam's eventually.

I think I actually like the darker glaze better. Like Loki pointed out, it's also got the same event name and dates on the bottom, so if they use this mold at Sam's eventually I would think that would be modified (fairly easily.) Unlike the other Sam's custom mugs, however, it does NOT say "first edition" on the bottom, so who knows. I should have asked Rhonda (who was working the event and I think said she'd be there again tonight.)

The two mugs side by side:

Cheers!
:drink:

F

Also, I'm pretty sure I spotted two of Danny Gallardo's Marquesan tiki totems from Home Depot on the stage, but need to compare to be sure. After I get the pic from the Wahine's camera...

F

Aaand, lastly, I just wanted to add that I think the best part of this even is having a great time socializing with and meeting new tikiphiles, many of whom are kicking off the week of Tiki O. It's one of my favorite things about Oasis and the spirit carries over even to events like this.
Ok, done. Sorry.
:drink:

On 2015-08-11 09:22, finky099 wrote:
I think I actually like the darker glaze better.

Agreed!

Also, I'm pretty sure I spotted two of Danny Gallardo's Marquesan tiki totems from Home Depot on the stage

Yes they were, plus a bunch of the other HD tiki's up there for decoration.

[ Edited by: Loki-Tiki 2015-08-11 10:19 ]

K

So I will also echo that the promised swizzles are not present. From what I was told, the blue mugs will be around for the remainder of the 60th/Diamond Celebration at Sam's. I will pass buying them at the event ($30 a piece) and instead wait to use my discount at Sam's. I fell for it once at Mahaloween 2014 and am not going to fall for it again. When you got another baby coming, every penny counts.

I was told that the 5pm Monday showing had a hiccup, where they didn't get enough tables and chairs out for the event (the one where there was a specific number of guests to be sat, haha.)

I'm bummed I have no chance of buying the light colored mug since every guest only had the chance to get the one. I doubt anyone is going to give it up. I'll still buy a darker one if anyone wants to sell me one.

[ Edited by: TheParkCollector 2015-08-11 12:32 ]

[ Edited by: TheParkCollector 2015-08-11 12:33 ]

From what it sounds like, you'll be able to buy the dark mug at Trader Sam's shortly. Yeah, I was one of those idiots last year who bought the second mug at Mahalloween for $30 when I could have just waited a day and gone in to get it at TS for far less - with a drink even.

It looks like they stepped up their game a little, but I'm not regretting opting out of this one for the cost. Especially since there was still issues.

And if the food was less quality than last year.. Oh man, yeah.

I did get a confirmation last night that they will be doing mahalloween and the mug artist said the special mug is going to be a jack o lantern . I know it's all a rumor but he seemed like he knew.

[ Edited by: Jungle Chris 2015-08-11 12:50 ]

O

My wife and I attended the 7:00 PM showing on 10 August 2015.

While the food was mediocre, aside from the cupcakes; the drinks, entertainment, speakers, and other guests made attendance of the event worthwhile.

As others have indicated, the special edition event mug was limited to one per individual. You had the opportunity to purchase up to two each of the limited edition mugs, as we also were told that they will only be available during the Disneyland Diamond celebration at Trader Sam's.

If one so desired, the mug(s) and the art piece were autographed by the associated artist. Therefore, buying additional mugs at the event enable an autographing of the mugs.

The discussion regarding the Tahitian Terrace was unique and informative.

Oceanic Arts was also in attendance, as well as a very eclectic group of tiki-philes, neer-do-wells, and space colonizers. Yes; Space Colonizers!

Anyone interested in selling their extras I would be super interested. I'm willing to pay up for it! Please email me. [email protected]

Thanks
Nick

When I was at Disneyland yesterday, I stopped in at Trader Sam's and they still had a few of the special mugs left for $30.00 each. I saw the darker color of the two. I had to open a box as none were labeled to see which color I was getting.

On 2015-08-17 10:54, Enchanted Tiki Guy wrote:
When I was at Disneyland yesterday, I stopped in at Trader Sam's and they still had a few of the special mugs left for $30.00 each. I saw the darker color of the two. I had to open a box as none were labeled to see which color I was getting.

Was there a drink that came with it too?

They said at the event they would be for sale, but did not say how much. I assumed it would be less at the bar, as you could get it signed at the event and they would charge more for it. That's what happened at Mahaloween. But I figured I was there, instead of making another trip I'll just pick them up right then. Even without getting a discount, I figured it was worth the time and gas to do it.

Actually, I didn't even ask about the drink, but the mug was $30.00 and if you have a Disneyland Annual Pass, they honor the discount. I was told they didn't have too many left, so who knows how long they'll last.

are the darker edition of the mugs going to remain a Trader Sam's souvenir or be on the menu with a drink?

K

They probably have plenty of diamond mugs (blue) left. There's only word of mouth and whatever the bartenders remember to tell you about it being available. It's $30, same as the event which kinda blows as I don't think it's a $30 mug. There's no drink with or for it, just the mug itself. With that, let me throw down my review:

I had zero complaints about the food - small portions but it was buffet style and you could eat your gluttonous ass off if you wanted. I didn't expect a luau pig or anything grander because I know this is a Disney event. The show itself was great - the performers nailed everything, and given that I selected the late showing meant that the fire dance would be especially great in the dark.

We were fortunate to be waiting in the front of the line so that when it was time to sit, we could be selective and park ourselves right up front. The experience probably wouldn't be quite as great if you were late and had to sit along the back, but the stage is laid out as such to where I think you'd have a decent show. If you really were unhappy you simply could have stood along the sides of the event.

The featured "diamond" cocktail was particularly disgusting. From what I gathered, the original recipe was basically the Tahitian Terrace Punch plus rum - not exactly that, but it wouldn't have mattered if it was. It was told to me by a bartender that the recipe was "salvaged" although I still think it was awful and something Smith & Cross was unable to save. I got a Big Wave lager for my second drink.

The gifts at the end is where the misleading information and lack of communication between Disney Parks Blog and Food & Beverages hit yet again. According to the blog, we'd receive the swizzle sticks in which we received none. Now it's silly to get upset about a little stick perhaps, but to be honest I looked forward to it more than the mug, haha. Anyway, speaking of the mug, there was more miscommunication: people were under the impression that you could buy a second minty/white colored mug ala Mahaloween 2014. Apparently those were off limits and you could only buy the second, blue, edition at $30 a piece. I skipped this because I trusted the public's hunch that they'd be available at Trader Sam's the next day, which they were. Unfortunately for me, my discount meant jack because they charged gratuity to it due to not having a system in place for this particular mug. How do you add gratuity to a non-food item? Anyway the mugs are average to me and I partly dislike them because they're designed by the same artist that did last Mahaloween's print and I am just envious that he gets these jobs.

Speaking of the print, it's a giant step forward from Mahaloween 2014. Don't even get me started about the Mahaloween print as just thinking about it drives me nuts. Although this Tahitian Terrace print is much improved, I will probably part ways with it and sell it to somebody that wants to give it a home. On eBay.

The "Diamond Luau" lei is where I was skeptical most, at first. Turns out the thing was just a dark brown bead/nut lei with an attached card featuring the event's information. Not bad, even if it's just a basic lei once the card is removed. I am glad to hold onto this. Much better than the Mahaloween $2 "Trader Sam's Panama Hat" that was just from Oriental Trading Company.

Overall, the event was MUCH improved on how it was run. There's still some blame to go around regarding communication and "putting out." Clarification needs to be made regarding all future mugs, and if an item is to be included, it should be included or never mentioned at all. As always, because I'm a sucker, I will probably do another event like this in the future. I'm glad I've learned my lesson though and don't buy additional mugs when they're offered because they're guaranteed to at least be slightly cheaper the next day.

A

I went back to Trader Sams Wednesday. People were able buy the mug with their annual pass holder discount. Bartender Roy told us they were planning to serve the punch til Sunday.

According to the Marcus Gonzalez, he's doing this years Mahalloween event mug as well. We didn't talk very long, but he mentioned the mug is gonna be pumpkin shaped.

K

On 2015-08-17 20:55, aroldo wrote:
According to the Marcus Gonzalez, he's doing this years Mahalloween event mug as well. We didn't talk very long, but he mentioned the mug is gonna be pumpkin shaped.

I've heard pumpkin/jack-o-lantern as well. I also heard that Richard Terpstra will be doing some work for it (apparently not the mug) which means some quality stuff.

Went today, Kelly couldn't find any more Terrace mugs and it sounded like they were all gone yesterday.

:shrug:

K

I don't believe the blue mugs are out just yet - more should be arriving. In addition, if you wanna leave feedback (positive or negative) about the luau event, email [email protected] . They just got back to me today.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2015-08-20 11:36 ]

RD

My daughter called Sam's on Monday night and was told they had plenty of the mugs.
When she went on Tuesday they had none.

P

Just got a few of the dark ones a few minutes ago. Bartender sez thay are supposed to limit to 2 per party/table. I think that's more of a guideline. :wink:

[ Edited by: PremEx 2015-08-22 12:26 ]

In case someone wanted to try this:

Any drink with Tang as an ingredient (unless you're a 1960s Astronaut, because that is way cool!)
is not kosher with me!

T

There was No Tang in what they were serving at the event though lol every bartender was more then happy to make that clear.....also this recipe was not at all what they were serving, when I asked (because I enjoyed it as it seems not everybody did) they said it was not that recipe with rum added they had recreated the taste of the original with fresher ingredients and 3 rums, etc.....they told me the full recipe unfortunately by the time I left I had forgotten the details other then three kinds of rum, OJ, pineapple juice and like 4 other things which I wish I could remember.

[ Edited by: TongaT 2015-08-23 16:08 ]

RD

On 2015-08-22 12:24, PremEx wrote:
Just got a few of the dark ones a few minutes ago.

[ Edited by: PremEx 2015-08-22 12:26 ]

Thanks for the update. My daughter was able to pick one up for me tonight.

Pages: 1 2 77 replies