Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Trader Sam's Shrunken Headed Zombie

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hi Friends!
I noticed that there have been a few posts on here related to drinks from Trader Sam’s at the Disneyland Resort (Krakatoa Punch,Red-Nosed Zebra, ect). My favorite drink there is the Shrunken Headed Zombie, but I’ve had a hard time finding a recipe that best matches what they claim is in the drink. The official menu says that it contains: Reserve and Aged Rums, Tropical Juices, Falernum, and Cinnamon.

Based on some posts here (linked below), Trader Sam’s likely uses POG juice for their “Tropical juices” and I’ve made some Falernum myself. I imagine the cinnamon simply comes from syrup. I was hoping some of the more experienced tiki connoisseurs here could give me a hand with the recipe. Thanks!

Krakatoa Punch Recipe: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45752&forum=10&vpost=741060&hilite=Krakatoa%20Punch

K

While I enjoy reverse-engineering Sam's drinks, their zombie to me is my least favorite rendition of the classic. I would personally abandon ship and stick with the Aku Aku Zombie.

I thought their Zombie was pretty good! Not up there with the classic, but very tasty. I'd start with the recipe of something like the Aku Zombie & tinker from there. As I recall Sam's was very cinnamon-forward. That would be cinnamon syrup, yeah.

The ones I'd really like to see recreated are the Uh Oah & Nautilus. Those were very good. Didn't Hurricane say he was trying to figure those out at one point?

K

On 2015-07-20 10:17, happy buddha wrote:
The ones I'd really like to see recreated are the Uh Oa

Yep, Hayward did and I think it's pretty spot on - reliable for sure.

*A tribute to UH OA! by The Atomic Grog

2 ounces silver Puerto Rican rum
2 ounces Myers’s Original Dark rum
3 ounces POG (passion fruit/orange/guava) juice
1 1/2 ounces white grapefruit juice
1 1/2 ounces fresh-squeezed lime juice (save shell for garnish)
3/4 ounce falernum
1/2 ounce cinnamon syrup
Sugar cubes and 151 rum for flaming garnish

Pulse blend with 2 cups of crushed ice for no more than 10 seconds. (Note: Pulse blend means to flip the blender switch on and off, rather than holding it down continuously; we don’t want a slushy drink.) Pour unstrained into an Uh Oa! bowl, or other large Tiki bowl or mug (around 12-ounce capacity) and fill with more crushed ice. Add powdered cinnamon to the bowl’s appropriate receptacles or just keep in small containers nearby. Garnish with maraschino cherries and half of a squeezed lime wedge. Insert 2-3 sugar cubes into the wedge. When serving, douse with 151 rum and light. Sprinkle pinches of cinnamon over the flame to conjure up the Tiki gods.*

I know what I'm drinking tonight :) Thanks kkocka!

R

Trader Sam's uses B.G. Reynolds (Formerly Trader Tiki Syrups), if you are going for the exact ingredients.

Pages: 1 5 replies