Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it could be true:

There are some interesting theories circulating on Twitter… MousePlanet as found that Disneyland has filed a permit for “Open flames and torches" at the Tahitian Terrace. Hopefully, this means that something Polynesian will be heading to the space soon. My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

https://twitter.com/MousePlanet/status/637020773383671808

Just spitballing, here...

Another theory for the Tahitian Terrace: It’s a Disneyland version of WDW’s forthcoming Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen

F

I would love to see something fun return to the old Tahitian Terrace space in DL, but am not getting hopes up. I love the idea of what they're putting in next to WDW's Jungle Cruise and would welcome that in DL. Esp if there was a back deck overlooking the Jungle Cruise river that we could sit on while sipping drinks.

Cheers!
:drink:

On 2015-08-27 16:08, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

You are definitely not alone with that theory. It would make a lot of logical sense to reopen the Tahitian Terrace for the reasons you state and due to the huge success of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in Florida. The fervor for that place has not gone unnoticed.

P

Don't forget that Disney is releasing their animated film Moana in the near future. They love theme park movie tie-ins.

On 2015-08-28 06:31, Comicbookhero wrote:

My theory: Disneyland closes Big Thunder Ranch BBQ to make room for Star Wars, and opens up Tahitian Terrace to make up for a closed eatery. I hope it happens. Maybe the Diamond Luau at Sam's was a test for something bigger.

You are definitely not alone with that theory. It would make a lot of logical sense to reopen the Tahitian Terrace for the reasons you state and due to the huge success of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in Florida. The fervor for that place has not gone unnoticed.

Excellent to hear. Who else is talking about it? Trader Sam's at DLH leads to TS at WDW, which leads to Tahitian Terrace back in Disneyland. It would make sense.

On 2015-08-28 13:46, PremEx wrote:
Don't forget that Disney is releasing their animated film Moana in the near future. They love theme park movie tie-ins.

As much as I dislike synergy, it would be nice to get Moana in THIS spot, as it would leave the Enchanted Tiki Room alone. Good thinking.

On 2015-08-29 08:54, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
As much as I dislike synergy, it would be nice to get Moana in THIS spot, as it would leave the Enchanted Tiki Room alone. Good thinking.

Is the Tiki Room "holy land" at Disney? In the past, it wasn't, and we got the "Under New Management" show which proved well-intentioned but misguided and annoying. I get the impression that imagineers don't want to relive that again with a crappy Tiki Room "update." So I'm hopeful that the Terrace stands a pretty good chance of coming back with a Moana tie-in. We need Moana to be a successful film with a good story. That would help ensure lots more Polynesian and tiki stuff shows up in the parks.

K

Ace, that's a prime example of the difference between Disneyland and Walt Disney World - in Disneyland, Enchanted Tiki Room IS sacred grounds. It was Walt's pet, the first for audio animatronics. WDW allows itself to change more, whereas Disneyland tends to hold onto certain things with history. Still, you never know, as It's A Small World has been bastardized.

Considering that WDW corrected their mistake and restored to Tiki Room to it's original glory, I'd say that WDW is getting back on the right track for some things.

That said, I'd still worry about Moana being another "Frozen" and causing them to alter things. I wouldn't put it past Disneyland, either, if Moana is incredibly popular.

Still, as for the Tahitian Terrace, it's certainly something to watch... if they can get it to open before Moana comes out (A year and a few months?) from now, perhaps it, too, will be safe.

Let's say Disney has one big hit every two years, and for each big hit, they build an attraction. How long will it be before they realize that they can't sustain this sort of activity, and realize that other parks are building bigger and better whiz-bang things than they are? Or, that they can't build attractions fast enough to outpace the dissipation of interest ahead of the arrival of the next "big" movie? Or that they have had sucky success with updating some classics, like the Tiki Room update in Orlando, and the distraction of Johnny Depp's character in Pirates?

I know, I know, they're building Star Wars Land, and Avatar Land, and Disney Springs. But still, when will the promotion of movies get to a point where everyone sees it for what it is - shameless attempts to vacuum more money out of our pockets as opposed to the higher-level entertainment approaches other Disney teams have taken?

Sorry, just realized this is off-topic. Can't get my delete button to work... heh...

A Moana tie-in would be welcome here, but the movie doesn't open until November 2016. Seems a bit early for that unless the space is getting a significant overhaul.

I think a "Moana" tie in at TT would be awesome as well. They already have a "Moana" titled gift shop at The Polynesian Resort-WDW after the recent renovation. There was nothing in the park after the initial success of "Frozen" (and they've been trying to play catch up ever since), so maybe they've learned their lesson and are trying to have something in place before the "Moana" release.

On 2015-08-30 12:08, finky099 wrote:

A Moana tie-in would be welcome here, but the movie doesn't open until November 2016. Seems a bit early for that unless the space is getting a significant overhaul.

True, it is a bit early. Still, the opened Sleeping Beauty Castle in 1955 and that film didn't come out until 1959.

On 2015-08-29 08:53, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

Excellent to hear. Who else is talking about it? Trader Sam's at DLH leads to TS at WDW, which leads to Tahitian Terrace back in Disneyland. It would make sense.

A lot of Disney podcasters and message boards have thrown out the theory that the Tahitian Terrace party was a back door survey of interest. There has been rumblings for years of ways to spruce up Adventureland in both DLR and WDW. This would definitely accomplish that.

I'm surprised that you guys aren't mentioning that a number of Disney artists and imagineers are fans of tiki, jungle, tropical, and other retro stuff. I would imagine that this would have been noticed from content in some of their interviews and projects. Or am I the only one picking this up? I see Kevin Kidney in Fort Lauderdale every couple of years or so at the Hukilau, and I had dinner with an imagineer a couple years ago, and the love for these genres runs deep at many (but not all) levels.

So my point is that there is some support behind-the-scenes do bring back Tahitian Terrace and things like it, but the right "motivator" in the form of marketing reasons and permissions aren't always present.

My fingers are crossed, as I'm sure yours are too.

Cheers!

On 2015-09-01 09:55, Comicbookhero wrote:

On 2015-08-29 08:53, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

A lot of Disney podcasters and message boards have thrown out the theory that the Tahitian Terrace party was a back door survey of interest. There has been rumblings for years of ways to spruce up Adventureland in both DLR and WDW. This would definitely accomplish that.

Good to know. I don't listen to many podcasts, but I'm glad the idea is out there.

Subject brought up again on MiceAge/Micechat

MiceChat: Disneyland Resort Update Jan 8 2018

That would be great! I took a couple of dates there, it was always a good time. Let’s see, if it does come back, if the experience will again include the free shell necklaces with the meal. I still have one or two of those.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 12:05 PM

On 2018-01-09 14:26, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Subject brought up again on MiceAge/Micechat

MiceChat: Disneyland Resort Update Jan 8 2018

Here’s the pertinent information from that article by Dusty Sage:

Tahitian Terrace Return?

Disneyland has filed permits to work on Aladdin’s Oasis. As we’ve covered in numerous MiceAge Rumor Updates, Disney has toyed with the idea of returning the Tahitian Terrace to its rightful spot in Adventureland. The permit calls for the expansion of a deck, removal of an exterior wall, and restroom renovations. Construction could begin as soon as this month. Could this be the project we’ve all been waiting for? We’ll be watching with baited breath. Nothing would make us happier.

Tahitian Terrace opened in 1962 and was always busy. I vividly remember the fire dancer and hula girls. It was dinner and a show at Disneyland. Magical. In 1993, the venue was rethemed to Aladdin with a similar idea, it would still be dinner and a show. But the concept flopped with guests. Rather than revert it back to its Polynesian glory, the venue has been only sporadically used as a storytelling spot, character meet and greet location, and recently as a distribution spot for Fantasmic box lunches.

Disney has been testing your interest in all things tiki and what you’d be willing to pay. Special tiki-themed events at the Disneyland Hotel and the tremendous success of Trader Sam’s all bode well for the return of the Tahitian Terrace...or something inspired by it.

I too would love the return of the Tahitian Terrace, but realistically the best we might get is something involving Moana, since it seems everything the company does today must be self-referential and include existing intellectual property.

On 2018-01-13 12:05, Hamo wrote:
...the best we might get is something involving Moana, since it seems everything the company does today must be self-referential and include existing intellectual property.

Excellent point! Can we not have a "pure" and "non-commercial" tropical/tiki experience which is memorable simply because it is done well? That's how the Tahitian Terrace was originally. I certainly hope so. We will have to wait and see.

On 2018-01-13 12:10, AceExplorer wrote:
Excellent point! Can we not have a "pure" and "non-commercial" tropical/tiki experience which is memorable simply because it is done well?

Not anymore we can't! We'll be lucky if they don't team up with Geeki Tiki to make it something Star Wars-related. It's the Anything-But-Disney Decade!

F

I would love to see either a return of the TT or a port of the Skipper Cantina from WDW. Whatever they do in that space, I hope it brings some life and fun back to that corner pocket of Adventureland.
Cheers!
:drink:

It's the one change to Disneyland going on right now that I'm NOT reacting to with a sense of impending dread! Wow!

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Feb 24, 2018 10:16 PM

I dunno. There’s not much detail to that description, and to me that concept drawing looks neither particularly tropical nor hidden away....

From a post on other social media. Seen at Disneyland 5/16/2018 in Adventureland.

Good find, thanks. I did a quick Google search and found a single concept art pic, see below. Details are very vague at this point. One article went so far as to confirm that it would not be serving any alcohol. No real references to tiki at this point, just "tropical." Will have to keep an eye open as more details come out. I like the idea of a place to chill and get away from the hustle and bustle, but wonder to what extent they will actually be able to achieve this? My idea would be to have recliners with tropical cocktails and foot massages, lol...

An update on the Tropical Hideaway from the MiceChat web page with lots of photos...

Micechat: Tropical Hideaway on the Way

"Walls went up around Aladdin’s Oasis in Disneyand’s Adventureland this week. It will soon become the Tropical Hideaway, a refreshment area which will likely serve Dole Whip, skewers, and other refreshments. It’s all part of the larger plan to make Disneyland’s walkways more . . . well . . . walkable."

H
Hamo posted on Thu, May 17, 2018 11:00 PM

On 2018-05-16 09:55, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Interesting; that looks almost exactly like the glass I got during my visit last August.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, May 21, 2018 7:45 PM

This looks great. You could sneak some airplane bottles in and empty them into your ex-Virgin Tropical Libation, then just sit around watching the Jungle Cruise boats coming in.

Yeah, add a couple of skewers and ya got a party. Put your feet up on the railing. They ain't gonna get me out of that place once the sun sets.

On 2018-05-17 23:00, Hamo wrote:
Interesting; that looks almost exactly like the glass I got during my visit last August.

I think that's the first time I've seen the merch precede the announcement of the attraction, let alone the existence of it!

T

On 2018-05-22 07:24, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:

I think that's the first time I've seen the merch precede the announcement of the attraction, let alone the existence of it!

It's a little difficult to read, but the glass appears to say established in '58. Could this be in reference to the restaurant idea that Walt had before making the Enchanted Tiki Room just an attraction? Or are they just using the original Tiki Room date?

On 2018-05-22 16:26, tikitube wrote:
It's a little difficult to read, but the glass appears to say established in '58. Could this be in reference to the restaurant idea that Walt had before making the Enchanted Tiki Room just an attraction? Or are they just using the original Tiki Room date?

I looked up the glass (and t-shirts) with the logo and it says "Est. '63", so it's referring to the Tiki Room.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, May 24, 2018 8:45 PM

On 2018-05-22 20:17, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:

On 2018-05-22 16:26, tikitube wrote:

I looked up the glass (and t-shirts) with the logo and it says "Est. '63", so it's referring to the Tiki Room.

Right. The main text says “Walt’s Tropical Hideaway Karaoke Hut,” and the surrounding text says “Where the birds sing words and the flowers croon.”

With exception of the “y,” the font for “Tropical Hideaway” on both glass and wall appear identical. The pessimist in me thinks they decided, “Hey, we already did this thing for merch; let’s just go with that.”

K

*On 2018-05-24 20:45, Hamo wrote:*The pessimist in me thinks they decided, “Hey, we already did this thing for merch; let’s just go with that.”

I would say you are spot on with that. A little revision and you've saved yourself hours of work and time on needlessly rebranding what was already created.

On 2018-05-25 10:07, kkocka wrote:

*On 2018-05-24 20:45, Hamo wrote:*The pessimist in me thinks they decided, “Hey, we already did this thing for merch; let’s just go with that.”

I would say you are spot on with that. A little revision and you've saved yourself hours of work and time on needlessly rebranding what was already created.

We also can thank the Imagineers for their enjoyment of tiki and tropical things which they have had for a number of years. They just plain enjoy this stuff like we do. It's cool, it's fun, and their guests enjoy it.

On 2018-05-24 20:45, Hamo wrote:
With exception of the “y,” the font for “Tropical Hideaway” on both glass and wall appear identical. The pessimist in me thinks they decided, “Hey, we already did this thing for merch; let’s just go with that.”

That might be a LITTLE cynical. If I was going to speculate wildly, I'd imagine it was more along the lines of them working from the same zeitgeist and maybe seeing the merch and thinking it was a good name. After that, you just borrow the same logo until the real logo is hashed out.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, May 25, 2018 9:21 PM

Okay, I can see it that way, too. But considering the company’s recent “laziness,” can you blame me for being pessimistic?

H
Hamo posted on Fri, May 25, 2018 9:25 PM

Although I don’t really get why they’d change the appearance of just one letter between the two designs....

Aladdin’s Oasis has disappeared

Some artwork added to barrier wall

And inside..

J

New update from the official blog. Sadly for those hoping for more of a tiki bar vibe this appears like its going to be an open air counter service restaurant. If anyone has been to Animal Kingdom I'm expecting something similar to the Harambe Market added a few years ago in the Africa area by the train.

Update:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/08/sneak-peek-what-to-discover-at-the-tropical-hideaway-in-disneyland-park/

Preview photo of Harambe Market in AK (the final product was a bit different but close enough)

[ Edited by: JasonMa 2018-08-28 13:31 ]

Good update, thank you. I have heard that the park is always super busy, so they need to add food service capacity. This is a good way to do it. Even though it's not tiki per se, I know the Imagineers have a fondness for tiki. They may have concluded that this Adventureland location (despite being next to the tiki room) worked better as a non-tiki venue because it's directly adjacent to Jungle Cruise. The tiki room is at the very entrance, sort of off on its own.

Just guesses. Random musings from a sober mind...

Orange County Register article

Disneyland's Newest Eatery

On 2018-08-28 13:38, AceExplorer wrote:
Good update, thank you. I have heard that the park is always super busy, so they need to add food service capacity. This is a good way to do it. Even though it's not tiki per se, I know the Imagineers have a fondness for tiki. They may have concluded that this Adventureland location (despite being next to the tiki room) worked better as a non-tiki venue because it's directly adjacent to Jungle Cruise. The tiki room is at the very entrance, sort of off on its own.

Just guesses. Random musings from a sober mind...

It's not NOT Tiki... The Adventureland aesthetic is already a mix of things (much like Tiki itself is), but it does have an overall more Tiki feel to it than the Adventurelands in Walt Disney World, Tokyo, or Paris. It was more pronounced during the Tahitian Terrace days, but there is a fair continuity between the Enchanted Tiki Room at the gate through the Jungle Cruise queue and dock area (with the floating house and catamaran). This has only been accented by Trader Sam's using Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise specifically for its template. Tropical Hideaway will probably have all the stuff we'd typically associate with Tiki... Thatched roofs, torches, Tiki statues, animatronic birds, tapa patterns, Chinese food, and that sort of thing.

On 2018-08-29 08:09, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Tropical Hideaway will probably have all the stuff we'd typically associate with Tiki... Thatched roofs, torches, Tiki statues, animatronic birds, tapa patterns, Chinese food, and that sort of thing.

That's better news then. I was under the impression it was ultra-lite in tiki, really just an incarnation of "jungle" or "jungle tiki" if those are the right terms. I'm looking forward to seeing photos when its done.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies