Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is the Tahitian Terrace about to return?

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

J

Yes, my comment was meant more towards the "it won't be a bar" part of "not a tiki bar" than "it won't be tiki". I'm sure it will keep at least somewhat close to the feel of that area which, as mentioned, already has a tiki feel to it.

From Miceage.com

"Here are some ....random decorations from the area."

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2018-09-04 14:34 ]

Concept art has been added to the construction wall.

Here's what you see looking over the fence from the stairway at marketplace as of Tuesday.

This may explain why Oceanic Arts has been exceptionally busy lately.

According to Micechat.com, "... about ready to open is the Tropical Hideaway in Disneyland, which will very likely open next week. Training is set to begin on the 15th and we’ll see the facility open not long after that. The tiki lamps and decorative fixtures have been lit."

MiceChat: Holiday Surprises

There's a good photo in the article looking down the main entry. If that isn't Tiki then I'm not sure I know what Tiki is anymore.

TM

My stance is that since adventureland was created in 1955, right in the middle of what now call the “ tiki culture” era, with decorations and tikis from OA, then it iS tiki and i would say tiki to the hilt. We have to remember that labeling things was all done retroactively, by later tiki authors in the 90s.
Back then, it all fell under much vaguer definitions like polynesian, exotic or jungle.

Disney Parks Blog - article with photos

Disney Parks Blog: First Look: The Tropical Hideaway at Disneyland Park

Newspaper article

Press Telegram: Here’s what Disneyland’s new Tropical Hideaway in Adventureland looks like

[ Edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2018-12-11 12:57 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Dec 11, 2018 1:13 PM

Finally - chairs to sit on in Adventureland.

Who cares if it's "Tiki"? This was Walt's backyard; let's see YOUR backyard.

It's gonna be REALLY busy.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Dec 11, 2018 9:57 PM

Thanks for those links, Bushwich. I haven't been following this project recently, so I didn't realize that there's going to be an Audio-Animatronic tiki bird in the space, too.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/10/rosita-flying-into-the-tropical-hideaway-in-disneyland-park/

"Rosita is a friendly cockatoo that looks forward to meeting travelers from around the globe who are also visiting The Tropical Hideaway. Pull up a nearby seat and say hello! But beware… she has a repertoire of jokes and one-liners that would make any Jungle Cruise Skipper proud!"

I just hope it isn't too annoying or tacky....

From the Disneyland Resort Ambassadors

"Here’s a first look at Rosita in action! Soon you’ll be able to see her and enjoy an exotic new marketplace, Tropical Hideaway, in Adventureland!"

Instagram: Disneyland Ambassadors- Rosita in action!

On 2018-12-11 08:39, lucas vigor wrote:
My stance is that since adventureland was created in 1955, right in the middle of what now call the “ tiki culture” era, with decorations and tikis from OA, then it iS tiki and i would say tiki to the hilt. We have to remember that labeling things was all done retroactively, by later tiki authors in the 90s.
Back then, it all fell under much vaguer definitions like polynesian, exotic or jungle.

That and the fact that Adventureland in Disneyland has a more "Tiki" feel in general, which you notice more after going to other Disney Parks. From the gate, past the Enchanted Tiki Room, now Tropical Hideaway, and to the loading area of the Jungle Cruise with the house and catamaran, Disneyland's is much more reflective of Tiki aesthetics than Walt Disney World's (I'm not really sure what they're trying to do) or Disneyland Paris' (which is much more influenced by European colonial exploits in Africa).

Even if we say that, officially, Tropical Hideaway is Not-Tiki... does it matter? Or is it still hitting 99% of the right notes that appeal to people who like Tiki?

Photo from MiceChat Dec 17, 2018

MiceChat: Disneyland Update December 17, 2018

You can buy a spork for $2.99.

Not my picture.

And designed to resemble the Trader Sam's Piranha Pool mug no less.

Tropical Hideaway at Night from MiceChat

YouTube: MiceChat-Tropical Hideaway at Night

Tropical Hideaway Hidden Menu .
Candied bacon can now be added to anything at the Tropical Hideaway for $0.99.

Is everything truly better with bacon? Now is the time to find out!

Pages: 1 2 68 replies