Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Identify vintage Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 12 replies

B

Aloha! Any help on identifying this vintage beauty? Dad picked it up from a lady in her 90's with a lot of mid century.

Any ideas or input welcome. It's in Washington state.

Mahalo!

K

It's certainly unique, but definitely not tiki. Strangely looks like woven yard covering the face and rear of it!

It looks homemade.

The doilie bar: like getting drunk at a Christmas sweater

T

I think the idea is the more you drink at that bar the more it looks like bamboo. Or maybe it's a magic eye thing. Can't tell.

So that's what happened to my old sweater!

B

Lol! So no one likes the bar. While I can't say that I blame you, I'd have to disagree that it's not Polynesian inspired. (Aside from the legs) The outside is a natural grass like fiber that has been carefully woven into pretty traditional Polynesian repeating shapes. The black and white on the inside reminds me of The Japanese Textiles. A play on the yin/yang symbol. With the correct accoutrements, this is absolutely passable in a Tiki Bar setting.
Can anyone give me a universal definition of what makes something TIKI? Seems to be pretty subjective.

And thanks for all the ....help?

That particular question has many incarnations on these boards, all of which are interesting reads. I'd say in regards to this type of bar, you could get away with calling something with a rattan or bamboo facade tiki.

That thing there though is macrame.

T

Lloyd looms?

On 2015-09-04 15:08, Brandonio wrote:
Lol! So no one likes the bar. While I can't say that I blame you, I'd have to disagree that it's not Polynesian inspired. (Aside from the legs) The outside is a natural grass like fiber that has been carefully woven into pretty traditional Polynesian repeating shapes. The black and white on the inside reminds me of The Japanese Textiles. A play on the yin/yang symbol. With the correct accoutrements, this is absolutely passable in a Tiki Bar setting.
Can anyone give me a universal definition of what makes something TIKI? Seems to be pretty subjective.

And thanks for all the ....help?

I like to give straight answers, so not Polynesian, not Mid Century Modern & most defiantly not Tiki
most "home bars" are not Tiki bars, you can have a rattan bar, a bamboo bar, a Danish Modern bar
but none of these things make it a "Tiki" bar, yet all of these things can be an element of a "Tiki" bar
the consensus here after years of bloody battles discussing this very question, is it must have Tikis
as part of the design, so no Tikis, no Tiki bar.

Also the shelf paper is Art Deco design.

What you have there is a home cocktail bar made out of an ugly rug, it sure appears to be home crafted
maybe to match existing decor.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-09-04 19:36 ]

B

Regardless of tiki pedigree, I like it, and it's a really good starting point for something more elaborate.

[ Edited by: bkrownd 2015-09-04 20:03 ]

H

I don't know why but when I first saw this bar, I thought it looked like it came from Peru.

Brando,
Your find has good bones. If you like it - enjoy it!
Cheers

Pages: 1 12 replies