Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Which of these is the best name for my home tiki bar?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I'm having trouble picking a name here. I came up with the idea of Lili-Kai - a play off of liliquoi and kai.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

The Lili-Kai Club
The Royal Lili-Kai
The Grand Lili-Kai
The Lili-Kai Grotto
Kapu Lili-Kai

[ Edited by: Jeff Bannow 2015-09-16 11:12 ]

B

That's certainly a matter of personal taste. I'd prefer the archaic and classy sounding "club".

On 2015-09-15 11:10, bkrownd wrote:

That's certainly a matter of personal taste. I'd prefer the archaic and classy sounding "club".

Ditto.

"Lili-Kai Lounge" also comes to mind, but "Club" is swanky. But either of those evoke more of a mid-century hang-out with just a touch of Polynesian flair, and less of an immersive exotic tropical paradise, so it depends what the feel of the place is. If you won't be able to see the walls through the foliage, Grotto might be a better pick, etc.

I always tell people to never rush this decision. You may be living with it for a long time. I have found that some of the best bar names just arrive organically anyway. Usually along the lines of some drunk patron saying "You ought to call this bar ..."

I like The Grand Lili-Kai myself... It reminds me of all the various and sundry hotels in Hawaii named "Grand" this (or "Royal" that). But as other said, it's ultimately what you have to live with, so let it sit for a bit if you're unsure.

Or just put "Lili-Kai" on everything and alternate between clubs, grottos, grands, and royals whenever you feel like it... Or why choose? The Grand Royal Lili-Kai Grotto Club ^_^

I am an editor and I will tell you the same thing that I tell writers when they have decisions like this. "What are you trying to convey?" I honestly like all of the options you have created, but which one evokes the feeling you are trying to convey with the tiki bar space you are building? Here is what comes to my mind for me with each one:

The Lili-Kai Club - "Club" always conjures dark, mysterious, and tucked away for me.
The Royal Lili-Kai - Classic 50's tiki bar name that would pair nicely if you want that 50's aesthetic.
The Grand Lili-Kai - Same general feeling as "Royal." Use this though if you want less accentuation of pomp and circumstance.
The Lili-Kai Grotto - "Grotto" gives you the tucked away aspect of "Club" but with an emphasis on being unspoiled and part of nature.
Kapu Lili-Kai - I would use this if you want to convey more of the Polynesian roots of Tiki culture.

I hope this helps.

[ Edited by: Comicbookhero 2015-09-21 10:34 ]

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback!

T

How about Lai Kai?
Kinda rolls a bit better than Lili.

Then you could scratch off the "M" on Mai Kai glasses and add an "L".

Aloha Jeff thanks for asking. It means you want to do what is right. Yes liliko'i is the passion fruit but lili basically means jealousy in an angry way. Not a great trait for anyone i.e. "Basic Instinct" -haha! So in Hawaiian your name could mean a raging jealous sea if this is your intent. As you know tiki is about hanging loose or escape to a relaxed uninhibited state. So I would suggest thinking about it a little longer if you want to have a great name and using the language correctly which I'm sure that is what you want to do.

Although my indigenous grandparents spoke Hawaiian and I have studied it, am not the quintessential expert. But I would suggest to all TC readers to use an excellent online Hawaiian dictionary called "Na Puke Wehewehe 'Olelo Hawai'i" at http://wehewehe.org/ Catch is...it's only in Hawaiian -- just kidding but that is how it opens. Just go to the top right and click on "English Text" and then one can enter any Hawaiian or English word and one can find an appropriate name or meaning for anything. There are other Pacific Island language online dictionaries out there on the web AND one can use the good old google.com to look up almost anything.

Mahalo nui

Tiki Movies & Tiki TV @ southseascinema.org

[ Edited by: creativenative 2015-09-16 16:05 ]

And the winner is - The Lili-Kai Club

Sounds great, now you need a logo, then you can get personalized swag made. Have fun...CHEERS

I liked the Lili-Kai Lounge because alliteration.

I'm also a big fan of adding "Room" to the end of a tiki bar.

Pages: 1 12 replies