Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Maori Carved Surfboards from Aotearoa, New Zealand

Pages: 1 17 replies

Kia ora everyone

My name is Bino Smith from Aotearoa, New Zealand and am a native of the Maori people down under...not Australia either lol. I am a multi medium artist and I specialize in Carved Sufboards, Sculptures, Carved Wood, Bone Carvings and Painting. I am very new to Tiki Central and was guided this way by Vampiress or Marlene who just purchased one of my Boards, Hine moana...Goddess of the Sea, I will post her board first, and others I currently have for sale.

Best to contact me through my FACE BOOK PAGES..Bino Smith..Bino Smith Art..Tribal Stylez Carved Surfboards.
Nga mihi nui ki a koutou katoa.

Hine moana SOLD.

Ranginui $3500.00 USD in Gallery

Pounamu...Green board $2500.00 USD and Ko te Pango..Silver Fern is $3500.00 USD in Gallery

Tangaroa...God of the Sea $2500.00 USD

Tane Mahuta...God of the Forests and living Creatures $3500.00 USD in Gallery

[ Edited by: Bino Maori 2015-09-20 18:36 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central Bino. Nice carvings, especially Tane Mahuta and Pounamu. I'm thinking you can't still surf them? :lol:

Kia ora Mad Dog Mike. Thanks bro and no not quite lol..but I am working on ones that may and also waiting for some Posca Pens to arrive to do some Maori Art on rideable boards. Nga mihi nui bro :)

So glad to have you on the board Bino. It is such a pleasure to speak with you. Your art is simply gorgeous, I am really looking forward to getting my Hine Moana...she will be in a good home and have many spirits and love from my Tikis and friends.

I know of your town due to the Split Enz song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7DgREshAk

HugsHugs Marlene

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2015-09-20 20:15 ]

Awww Kia ora ano e hoa :)

I can't thank you enough for, firstly purchasing Hine moana. I have never mentioned I how much i'm going miss her being with me. I have had many offers for her over the years, but just couldn't let her go. The time is right now and she is going to a wonderful person, so my Wairua...Spirits..are at ease. Second, is showing me the world of Tiki Central and all the awesome things I have seen on here so far, on this page. I will slowly get my head around it all and look forward to sharing the Maori Culture, and who we are as a people, to this group.

No reira e hoa, kanui taku mihi ki a koe, otira ki to roopu o Tiki Central :)
Tihei Mauri ora..from Aotearoa, New Zealand.

O
Otto posted on Sun, Sep 20, 2015 8:40 PM

Bino, very nice work and very unique idea. I hear you are also a cultural ambassador for the Maori people? Good work.

WOW,
It's great to see a fresh idea.
How bout some more?

On 2015-09-21 04:13, Will carve wrote:
WOW,
It's great to see a fresh idea.
How bout some more?

+1

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 21, 2015 8:29 AM

Fantastic oceanic carved art Bino, thanks for posting!! Please share more Maori cultural lessons, so interesting!

[ Edited by: cy 2015-09-21 08:35 ]

You could make a wicked surfboard chair for those who like functional art.

Kia ora to all the Tiki Whanau...Family. I'm going to add more pictures from my Maori culture, but think I need to add the difference in what we see as Tiki, compared to what I see on here.
To us Maori this is a Tiki. To us it is a carving and is not as simple as what the western world portries it. Our lines are meaningful than just something that is drawn or carved upon for the sake of it.
These examples will show the difference. I am certainly not trying to bag what is shown here, but more to inform and to show our difference in style as the last Pacific and Polynesian culture settled within the Pacific realm.

*** Too poke your tongue out in a Haka or in gesture, is too insult your enermy before close combat warfare and death. The Haka is performed to invoke the Gods for guidance before warfare is engaged, and is paramount to our culture.

This is how we see the Tiki...&&& hopefully these videos will come through and enhance my people and my culture from Aotearoa, New Zealand :)

Nga mihi nui ki a koutou katoa :)

http://www.maoritelevision.com/news/regional/tainui-waka-kapa-haka-festival-ngaa-pou-o-roto?utm_source=brightcove&utm_medium=button&utm_campaign=share%20this%20video

32x5604fd82.jpg[/img]
[ Edited by: Bino Maori 2015-09-25 01:11 ]

[ Edited by: Bino Maori 2015-09-25 01:12 ]

[ Edited by: Bino Maori 2015-09-25 01:18 ]

[ Edited by: Bino Maori 2015-09-25 01:21 ]

Thank you for any information you are willing to share. Your carves are beautiful and full of expression and life - just as your culture. What you see on this website is a generalization (or bastardization, depending on how you view it) of polynesian pop culture - a blending of different styles and cultures. We take inspiration from these cultures to create our own visions. "Tikis" thrive in all cultures around the world - showing the real power they possess.

Very beautiful carvings!

C
cy posted on Fri, Sep 25, 2015 12:45 PM

Very well stated AlohaStation. Western style tikis are, and should be, a reflection of our own culture, with respect to the original Polynisian designs from the past. Bino, you are a master and hope to see more inspirational work from you here on TC!

Wow

Fantastic artistry!

R

Incredible stuff, man!

Been busy with our Cap City Tiki Crawl. Wasn't able to pick up Hine moana...Goddess of the Sea, but plan on it over the next few weeks. Keep on carving Bino!!!

Pages: 1 17 replies