Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Great Big Hawaiian Dick?

Pages: 1 24 replies

A heads-up to Tiki Central that I'm about to launch a campaign for GREAT BIG HAWAIIAN DICK via Kickstarter.

We're launching a new HD series from Image Comics this spring (ALOHA, HAWAIIAN DICK), and it's been awhile since our last series, so hopefully this will help remind people about us.

The support from Tiki Nation has always been great for Dick, so I wanted to drop in and share the cover here. If it should be moved to the marketplace, so noted. This is always the best place to keep people updated.

We're also a day or two away from announcing some news about HD in other media, which, I HOPE, will turn on Centralites.

Mahalo -
BCM

HeHe, you said Dick!

On 2015-11-16 15:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
HeHe, you said Dick!

Get used to it!

• BCM

That's what she said

Here's some art from the Kickstarter book to share with the TC community.

And the link again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1509613551/great-big-hawaiian-dick-100-page-hardcover-graphic

Mahalo!
-BCM

The TV show -- I can imagine how this went down:

Producer: "Hey, team, whaddaya think about this show, 'Hawaiian Dick?'"

Writers: "Hahahaha, he said 'dick!'"

Producer: "Hey, wait... A show in Hawaii. Filming in f-ing Hawaii!"

Writers: "LET'S DO IT!"

So there you have it - it's all about escaping LA to work on a TV show with a funny name in Hawaii.

On 2015-11-19 11:54, AceExplorer wrote:
The TV show -- I can imagine how this went down:

Producer: "Hey, team, whaddaya think about this show, 'Hawaiian Dick?'"

Writers: "Hahahaha, he said 'dick!'"

Producer: "Hey, wait... A show in Hawaii. Filming in f-ing Hawaii!"

Writers: "LET'S DO IT!"

So there you have it - it's all about escaping LA to work on a TV show with a funny name in Hawaii.

You'd think!

This time around, they actually wavered a little on the title, which drove me crazy.

I mean, I think the comic book is damn good, and deserves attention, but I can't begin to tell you how much PR the title alone is worth.

And, I mean...when you put "Johnny Knoxville" and "Dick" in a headline...

-BCM

Wikipedia has a pretty detailed treatment of Hawaiian Dick for those (like me) who aren't entirely familiar with the material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Dick

BCM, if you have any influence over the TV or film scripts, or the sets, or future artwork, please consider sneaking in a nod to Tiki Central if you can, please. :) Especially the words "Ace Explorer" look pretty darn good on the big screen. :P

Cheers and best wishes!

On 2015-11-19 12:03, AceExplorer wrote:
Wikipedia has a pretty detailed treatment of Hawaiian Dick for those (like me) who aren't entirely familiar with the material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Dick

BCM, if you have any influence over the TV or film scripts, or the sets, or future artwork, please consider sneaking in a nod to Tiki Central if you can, please. :) Especially the words "Ace Explorer" look pretty darn good on the big screen. :P

Cheers and best wishes!

I will definitely mention TC in the upcoming series, at the very least.

With the new series, the hardcover and a possible TV show, I'd love to hit Tiki Oasis next year, too. More tiki cons, less comic cons!

-BCM

So a lot of people want Dick?
I mean this is the Dick they want?

But will they be getting the best Dick?

On 2015-11-19 12:05, Hawaiian Dick wrote:

With the new series, the hardcover and a possible TV show, I'd love to hit Tiki Oasis next year, too. More tiki cons, less comic cons!

-BCM

That would rock. And you make an interesting point that tiki events would take on a whole new significance beyond just attending and having a good time. Tiki events would take on a role as a jumping off point (or expansion point) for concepts looking to get out in front of their audiences. Hawaiian Dick must appeal to a much broader demographic in order to get ratings points and hang in there. Good writing and good stories are essential. I also think you're right that having Johnny Knoxville and "dick" in the title will pay dividends for you. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. The images you shared earlier are very nice and rich in tiki.

On 2015-11-19 12:18, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2015-11-19 12:05, Hawaiian Dick wrote:

-BCM

That would rock. And you make an interesting point that tiki events would take on a whole new significance beyond just attending and having a good time. Tiki events would take on a role as a jumping off point (or expansion point) for concepts looking to get out in front of their audiences. Hawaiian Dick must appeal to a much broader demographic in order to get ratings points and hang in there. Good writing and good stories are essential. I also think you're right that having Johnny Knoxville and "dick" in the title will pay dividends for you. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. The images you shared earlier are very nice and rich in tiki.

Thanks, Ace!

When we first launched the book over ten years ago, we leaned heavily on Sven Kirsten's work (and sent him a signed copy of the first issue in appreciation), and spent a lot of time swimming in Tiki culture. Like, obsessively so.

One of my prized Dick-related souvenirs is our profile in one of the early issues of TIKI MAGAZINE...

I'd love to do a better job of hooking Tiki Nation into HD.

-BCM

On 2015-11-19 12:14, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So a lot of people want Dick?
I mean this is the Dick they want?

But will they be getting the best Dick?

It's Hawaiian Dick. And it's Great Big.

What else can I say?

(the next book should be a massive collection of every "Dick" joke I've heard in the past decade)

-BCM

Well that sounds like some good Dick.....

One more thought: Keep Byrd away from the hookers in Honolulu otherwise he could end up with:

I posted some of the pictures on Instagram and tagged #bighawaiiandick. They seemed to be well liked. I also shared your Kickstarter with the I Love Tiki group on Facebook.

On 2015-11-19 14:15, tikilongbeach wrote:
I posted some of the pictures on Instagram and tagged #bighawaiiandick. They seemed to be well liked. I also shared your Kickstarter with the I Love Tiki group on Facebook.

Thanks, Lori!

-BCM

I've never seen Big Hawaiian Dick before. Sounds like someone might get leied as the plot thickens.

bump

Here's some more GB Hawaiian Dick art.

I like sharing.

-BCM

Love the artwork!!!

That's what she said!

Here's an interview I did, with more info on both the Kickstarter campaign, and the NBC deal:

http://planetcomicon.com/interview/b-clay-moore-interview/

-BCM

We're down to the last full day of the GREAT BIG HAWAIIAN DICK Kickstarter, if you're so inclined!

And here's a tiki-riffic new page from artist Paul Reinwand.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1509613551/great-big-hawaiian-dick-100-page-hardcover-graphic

MAHALO!

-BCM

Pages: 1 24 replies