Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Rock

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

Nice update! The volcano "filter" is a fun feature.

A functional bar is always better than no bar at all. Enjoy it.

E
eroc posted on Thu, May 16, 2019 7:00 AM

Not so fun update....

That manila rope I have around my bar? Well it rained. What happens to manila rope when it gets wet? That's right, it shrinks. And what happens to miter joints that are wrapped with a shrinking rope? That's right.....they split. Ug. Have to redo the bartop.

That is great information to have, but I hate that you had to find out the way you did. Sorry for the setback.

On 2019-05-16 07:00, eroc wrote:
Not so fun update....

That manila rope I have around my bar? Well it rained. What happens to manila rope when it gets wet? That's right, it shrinks. And what happens to miter joints that are wrapped with a shrinking rope? That's right.....they split. Ug. Have to redo the bartop.

Ouch, that stinks.

There is available a poly blend rope that looks like manilla but won't shrink or rot. It's not cheap though.

E
eroc posted on Thu, Jun 20, 2019 9:57 AM

Just a quick few updates.

Here's the current inside of the Tiki Rock. Still need sink, plumbing, cabinet doors, roof and door decorations. Seems like it will never be done.

And here's the start of phase 2, Dragon's Eye Cove. (name subject to change) It will be a 10x10 sitting area next to the main bar. L shape furniture with some type of fire feature in the middle.

K

Great Project Pix and comments. Enjoyed your work around the permitting issues and the expansion thoughts. Winging it as you go.

I'm 5 years of procrastination on my bar. Life happens. One day...

Thanks for the inspiration.

T

Great build! I like the volcano! I might steal a few ideas to build my fountain. Thanks for sharing.

K

Following your Build. Great ideas. What about the Sink? what did you end up with?

E
eroc posted on Fri, Jan 10, 2020 1:32 PM

Hello all, been a bit since last post, and some updates. I ended up going with a brown, single bowl deep entertainment sink. Working out pretty good. Just got an awesome piece of olive wood that I am going to set with colored epoxy for the lower bar.

I upgraded the TV from 32" to 50". I know, "TV bad, smash!" Well, I like football and the wife doesn't. So perfect place for me to go.

Have been using it constantly, but there is still lots of work to do. I am extremely happy with the way it came out, but as far as I'm concerned, only about 50% done. Still have to cover every single piece of exposed construction material, redo some electrical, put flooring down, finish the cabinets, etc. There's even a custom stone fireplace I'm trying to fit in somewhere....

I also posted some videos, so you can take a virtual tour. I apologize for my poor commentary, my profession certainly is not an emcee. (Moderator, this isn't against ToS, is it?)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI5YxLrp9c9JtTAmY2DanTw

Once I get the lower bar finished, I'll post more. Should be a week or so. Epoxy and mica powder will be here this weekend.

BB

I like the walkthroughs. I actually wish more peeps would do video tours of their tiki spaces.

Thanks for the walk-through! I've got that exact same brass faux-bamboo faucet in my bar. I need to do a video walk-through of my space, but I need to wait for may landscaping to recover from winter die-back.

Also, Harryhausen FTW!

E
eroc posted on Sun, Jan 19, 2020 3:37 PM
E
eroc posted on Sun, Jan 19, 2020 3:43 PM

Thank you. I thought about waiting until done, but realized if I did that, I would never do a video. Plus, video is so much easier to explain layout. Going to try to put a nicer video together in the future. Still in major amateur phase, video recording and tiki bar building, lol .

Harryhausen had so much influence in my childhood. Grew up watching all his movies. I was very surprised to find a signed poster by him, so I jumped on the opportunity. And I actually got the idea of a bamboo faucet from you, lol!! Didn't realize I got the same one!

That's an awesome bartop. Well done with the epoxy - that stuff can be tricky!

H
Hearn posted on Mon, Jan 20, 2020 7:04 AM

On 2020-01-19 15:37, eroc wrote:
Lower bar update

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAivKZR3Ahk

Very Cool I'd use a blue iridescent tile for backsplash. Something like: https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=iridescent+blue+tile

E
eroc posted on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 10:36 AM

On 2020-01-20 05:53, Commodore wrote:
That's an awesome bartop. Well done with the epoxy - that stuff can be tricky!

Thanks. I had a panic attack when I accidentally mixed the top coat by weight and not volume. Apparently different epoxy manufactures do it differently and I ended up with more hardener than I was supposed to have. After 24 hours, it was still tacky. Always read the instructions, lol.

Luckily, I let it sit for a few more days and it hardened. I really didn't want to scrap half cured epoxy off this thing.

I love the epoxy window you created in your thread. This stuff is pretty cool once you get some color into it. Going to try to see if I can come up with more ways to use it.

E
eroc posted on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 4:15 PM

E
eroc posted on Sun, Feb 2, 2020 12:20 PM

Update. Finished the backsplash. I brought home a sample of the box store backsplash and it didn't feel right. So went with bamboo.

https://youtu.be/5ZZUebVMX_w

https://youtu.be/iwiqwL5_wRQ

[ Edited by: eroc 2020-02-02 15:03 ]

E
eroc posted on Thu, Feb 20, 2020 2:14 PM

On 2019-04-21 22:57, Hamo wrote:
Be careful; another year, maybe two, and that mug case will be full and you’ll need to make second one....

Going through my thread again and saw this.... you are SO right.

I am at the point now (thanks to friends and family alike) that my collection has grown. It's almost as if they know birthdays and Christmas are designed to give me tiki mugs...

So I'm taking time to 'review' my current wall space to see if anything would lend its hand to allowing more 'mug space'. I have some cool live edge shelving units that I just lathered in high gloss spar urethane that I believe are up to the task.... pictures will be following....

I have been away a bit and it was exciting to come back and see what you have accomplished. Really nice spot.

M

This is such a cool build! Loving the volcano and the lower bar, especially.

E
eroc posted on Tue, Feb 25, 2020 3:44 PM

Thank you all for the positive feedback! A lot of hard work has gone into this project (and figuring out how to auto-rotate pictures for this website, lol!), so its nice to hear it's appreciated.

I need to make another video because I have added a lot to the light/lamp/hanging stuff decor. With everything I have done, starting to feel 'lost' in there sometimes (which is a good thing!)

Until the next video, here's a picture of the center of my bar awakening......

E
eroc posted on Tue, Mar 3, 2020 7:42 AM

Dragon's Eye Cove just leveled up:

My sister in law is into photography and has identified my bar as a new muse:

M

Fantastic pics!!

E
eroc posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2020 5:07 PM

Sad to say, but Tiki Rock will be closed for the next two weeks. We want to ensure the safety of all of our guests. Wait, did I say closed? No no no, I meant, I will be hanging out in paradise for the next two weeks while the world burns. Mahalo.

:)

B

Dude this is looking great! Loving the lighting!

Eroc, I think there are a bunch of us who are going to ground in out tiki paradises, disinfecting ourselves with liberal applications of rum. I feel bad for those amongst us without such tiki refuges.

Pages: 1 2 75 replies