Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Homemade syrup too sweet?

Pages: 1 3 replies

K

So I was in desperate need of cinnamon syrup over the weekend, having used up the last of my Monin and decided to whip up a batch of my own. I did the usual 1 cup water + 1 cup sugar + 3 crushed cinnamon sticks (I actually doubled it given the amount I needed). After tasting it, it tastes super sugary, although the cinnamon flavor holds up and is legit.

Am I too used to the commercial stuff by BG Reynolds and Monin? Should I try reducing the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 cup, or is my taster just off when it comes to homemade?

Hi KK, Have you tried it inna drink” I use “Morena” sugar in my syrups exclusively since I “discovered it at Smart and Final during the last Tiki Oasis. To me it seems that cutting the sugart/water ratio does not have a lot of effect onthe syrup so I usually just tweak the amounts of lime, syrup,etc.
Happy mixing! Keep posting , I enjoy reading em.

The one to one ratio of sugar & water is pretty standard
unless your going with a "Rich" syrup with is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water
and that is extra sweet!

I think you just need to add maybe half as much prepared syrup to a cocktail if it is making it too sweet for you.

K

I think maybe it's just something I need to get used to - I've only used it in a large batch cocktail/punch. I'll try it in a Jet Pilot or Zombie or something. I have some Nui Nuis in my future so that'll be another test. Thanks for the input!

Pages: 1 3 replies