Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Purple Tiki Drinks?

Pages: 1 13 replies

H
Hearn posted on Fri, Apr 22, 2016 8:08 AM

Anyone have any good ideas for a Purple tiki Drink?

Having a special event in the TomAndrea Lounge to mourn The Purple One's Passing.

Mahalo!

On 2016-04-22 08:08, Hearn wrote:

Having a special event in the TomAndrea Lounge to mourn The Purple One's Passing.

Mahalo!

There's a nice looking one by JenTiki here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31307&forum=10&start=4965&4966

J

On 2016-04-22 08:24, Jeff Bannow wrote:

On 2016-04-22 08:08, Hearn wrote:

Mahalo!

There's a nice looking one by JenTiki here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31307&forum=10&start=4965&4966

Thanks! I was just about to post the same link here! I'm still tweaking the ratios, but it's something like this:

The Paisley Park Swizzle

3 oz white rum (I used Cana Brava)
.5 oz lemon juice
.5 oz cinnamon syrup
.25 oz simple syrup
about 8 blueberries and 4 blackberries

Put the berries and lemon juice in the glass and muddle them to a pulp.
Add the rum, cinnamon syrup, and simple syrup (you might want to reverse the ratio on the syrups as mine was a bit too spicy and not quite sweet enough).
Fill the glass with crushed ice and swizzle until the berries have worked their way up into the drink and the outside of the glass is frosty.
Garnish with mint, lemon slice, and a Raspberry Beret.

You'll want to use large diameter straws since the berry bits kept clogging my narrower one.

If you put it on a written menu, please credit http://www.rumspiration.com.
Thanks!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2016-04-22 08:38 ]

Thanks for the recipe Jen! Just a couple days ago my wife asked if I knew of any drinks with blueberries and I didn't so she Googled and found one. It wasn't great. This looks promising. I'll report back once we make it.

J

I still think it needs something to add some complexity to it, maybe some interesting bitters. A richer rum would probably help it, but it would muddy the color and obviously color was a key component of this one. Maybe a cachaca would work. If you experiment, let me know what you come up with.

H

Thanks JenTiki!!!!

I'm not a big fan of chunks of fruit in the drink, so I may try a shake/strain derivision. I'm thinking adding a little falernum and like you said...some bitters to add some complexity.

That swizzle sounds really good. I've a bottle of lavender bitters that just might go really well with it.

J

On 2016-04-22 13:04, HopeChest wrote:
That swizzle sounds really good. I've a bottle of lavender bitters that just might go really well with it.

My initial attempt included about 1/4oz Crème de Violette (I added it for purple color, but it didn't really change it), but I couldn't really taste it. I might try it again this weekend with more of the CdV, but lavender certainly sounds good too, and of course it matches the theme. :)

Maybe a touch of blue curacao would help the flavor and the color.

The Regal Daiquiri

2.5 oz gold spanish-syle rum
1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz creme yvette
1 dash orange bitters.

It's purple...ish. You could get a more ideal color from it by replacing all or part of the gold with an aged white, but I like the flavor better with all gold, preferably on the extra-old end of the spectrum.

LorAnn also makes a purple liquid food coloring.

C

Most likely too late for the event, but acai makes things a lovely purple shade. It comes in frozen single-serve packets, and can be used frozen or defrosted. It plays well with blueberries, mango, pineapple, kiwi, lemon, and rum, so it's a tropical workhorse. I've only just started using it in smoothies, so no recipes yet!

Wouldn't recommend it in a top-shelf daiquiri, but for novelty, it's very delicious.

I've seen this for sale at Sprouts Grocery Store. 

It's concentrate from the butterfly blue pea flower. It's all natural and it turns your drinks blue, purple or pink depending upon the acidity of the drink. 

http://b-lure.com/ 
for more information and recipes. 

http://www.wildhibiscus.com 

Polynesian Spell
1 oz grape juice
¾ oz fresh lemon juice
¼ oz triple sec
¼ oz peach brandy
½ tsp sugar syrup
1 ½ oz dry gin
Shake well with ice cubes. Strain into a champagne glass.

Orignal drink by Sandro Conti of the Kahiki, Columbus, Ohio, circa 1961. Adapted from Jeff Berry & Annene Kaye, Beachbum Berry’s Grog Log. (San Jose: SLG Publishing, 1998) p. 65. Reproduced under license. From Beachbum Berry's Tiki+ for iPhone.

T

How about the classic Purple Rain?

1 1/4 oz. Curacao, blue
1 1/4 oz. white rum
2 oz. Grenadine
1/4 oz. Lime Juice
2 oz. Pineapple Juice

Add ice and mix in blender for a frozen drink. Or shake with ice and pour into ice-filled glass.

I've also seen a recipe with cranberry juice, but couldn't put my hands on it quickly

[ Edited by: Tele295 2016-04-26 07:40 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies