Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaiian Language help

Pages: 1 5 replies

I've sold our Tiki-Lander camper and beginning the decoration of our new rig.

My wife and I like the "Ka Holoholo Hale" or just "Holoholo Hale" as the new name for our trailer (ka'a hale).

We've looked carefully at this as a name and feel it captures what we want it to be "out on a lark/walk/drive house"

However, we know that context is important and would not want to offend with a double entendre for this word combination that we don't know.

Anyone knowledgeable enough to offer advice on this or is a speaker to guide our use of these words?

I'm no expert but that's the meaning I'm familiar with. There's a boat tour company on Kauai called Holo Holo Charters. I imagine if there were a negative connotation they wouldn't be using that name. Hopefully someone fluent can confirm.

Haha, at first looking at your name Ka Holoholo Hale made no sense - " the cruising house" because houses don't move. Then I laughed to myself realizing you are naming a trailer. With the limited knowledge I have in my granparent's first language your name makes perfect sense in a modern content. I can't think of a better English word for cruising, which is a modern vernacular of the English/American language, for me and as you know it means just taking off and chilling either down the main hometown drag or across the continent. In other words, I think that is your intention of your rig and because of that Ka Holoholo Hale is a perfect name. Pomaika'i oe! (Good luck to you!)

[ Edited by: creativenative 2016-06-20 17:31 ]

Thanks for the comments folks!
I've done better sleuthing and library time and it looks like it will be a good choice.
I even found some other examples in use.
Much appreciated.

Here is a mock up of name and stripe design in progress.

According to http://hawaiian-words.com/common:

Mele Kalikimaka ---> Merry Christmas

Happy New Year ---> Hau‘oli Makahiki Hou

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau‘oli Makahiki Hou ---> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

I did not find words for Halloween or Easter. However, as a consolation prize from the tiki language gods, I did stumble across:

‘Ôkole ---> Ass or butt (slang)

Wishing everyone a FUN, safe, happy, and prosperous New Year!

Pages: 1 5 replies