Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Sign Painting Newbie questions

Pages: 1 7 replies

T

I found a nice piece of untreated wood for a tiki sign. I stained it with Miniwax special walnut and it's beautiful.

QUESTION 1: Do I have to seal it before I paint words on it? I like the rough look, but I don't want the paint to be absorbed by the wood and look washed out.

QUESTION 2: If unsealed, what kind of paint should I use for the words? I presume if it's sealed that any paint will work.

Please help, ohana!

I wish I could answer these questions. At least I'll look forward to reading any posts that come up. Sometimes it's best to just experiment before using your best piece of wood. Good Luck, Wendy

That was good advice Wendy just gave you.
I give my frond pendents a stain bath
then I spray clear to seal them.
Then I use a black faux glaze I can wipe off.
I clear it so it doesn't soak in &
I can wipe it off.
Then I clear it again to seal it & it's done.

[ Edited by: Will carve 2016-10-16 14:00 ]

One Shot lettering enamel would be best. A cheaper alternative would be to letter your copy with a good acrylic latex primer, then use acrylics over that. Have fun!

T
TU posted on Mon, Dec 12, 2016 4:19 AM

The Minwax should seal it, but if it is going outside I would use extra sealer. I use 1 Shot as well and it is weather proof pretty much. If you don't want to spend a lot of cash, Testor's modeling enamel is pretty much the same as 1 Shot and you can get it in flat or glossy. If you want it to look like it has been around for a while and are keeping it inside, cheap acrylics don't usually cover so well and have a nice faded look if you dry brush them.

Have fun!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 16, 2016 3:29 AM

I usually get feedback from the paint team at the hardware store. I use One Shot for sign writing, but for a one off like this an exterior grade paint should be fine, just get one that's compatible with the base coat.

T

"then I spray clear to seal them."
Willcarve

When I do touch up on things with paint I also do a satin coat, I do it to
even out the brush strokes and make the different coats of paints/stains look
better together.

And it seals too, win, win.

Although 1shot would be ideal, I leave it to the professionals. I take the rookie way out and sketch with a pencil and outline/fill with paint pens. Throw a clear coat on there if needed and let nature take its course to weather it. But, if you’re looking for the correct way; 1shot paint and Polyurethane is probably the way to go.

Works in progress, all need to be fine tuned or redone completely.

Pages: 1 7 replies