Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The recipe for Trader Sam's Gorilla Grog?

Pages: 1 16 replies

J
jj69 posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2017 8:17 PM

I know it's officially a closely guarded secret, but I've seen some discussion of reverse-engineered recipes online. Just wondering what people here consider the recipe that is closest to the original?

Here's the one I'm working with at the moment, which I found somewhere online:

• 1 oz Passion Fruit juice
• 1 oz Orange juice (no pulp)
• 1 oz Guava juice
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 1 oz Lemon juice
• .5 oz. B.G. Reynolds Orgeat
• .5 oz. B.G. Reynolds Falernum

I'm told Trader Sam's does use the B.G. Reynolds brand syrups, and I think I have the other ingredients correct. Just not sure about the proportions.

Anyone know more?

[ Edited by: jj69 2017-01-24 20:18 ]

On 2017-01-24 20:17, jj69 wrote:
I know it's officially a closely guarded secret, but I've seen some discussion of reverse-engineered recipes online. Just wondering what people here consider the recipe that is closest to the original?

Anyone know more?
JJ, I know it needs rum. : ^)
Please post more
Mahalo
Btw, might be a bit too much Lemon juice, I’m gonna mess with your recipe-should be fun.

[ Edited by: jj69 2017-01-24 20:18 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-01-25 01:04 ]

J
jj69 posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2017 5:40 PM

Please post more
Mahalo
Btw, might be a bit too much Lemon juice, I’m gonna mess with your recipe-should be fun.

I've actually been trying to recreate Sam's "Shrunken Zombie Head" drink. The recipe I have (which I believe is from one of the recipe cards given out at the "Behind the Scenes" events last fall) is as follows:

• 3 oz Gorilla Grog
  • .75 oz Bacardi 8 Year rum
  • .75 oz Appleton Reserve rum
  • .5 oz Gosling 151 rum

The Bacardi 8 Year was technically discontinued late last year, so if you like it, grab it while you still can.

J
jj69 posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2017 5:43 PM

One thing I don't understand (and keep in mind I'm new to Tiki) is that the recipe I posted above makes a drink of just 5 oz! Is that considered a full sized drink? These tiki mugs are big - maybe 16 oz, and I realize there is a LOT of ice in each drink, but how could 5 oz of liquid possibly fill the whole glass? Do the bartenders add extra Grog to complete the drink, or am I missing something?

The Bacardi 8 Year was technically discontinued late last year, so if you like it, grab it while you still can.

Holy crap - I had no idea. Gonna clear out the local tonight, then.

K

This is the second time I've heard Bacardi 8 being discontinued but haven't seen anything in Google search results. Can anybody confirm?

J
jj69 posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2017 7:43 PM

On 2017-01-26 14:08, kkocka wrote:
This is the second time I've heard Bacardi 8 being discontinued but haven't seen anything in Google search results. Can anybody confirm?

Perhaps it's regional? I'm in the northeast.

On 2017-01-26 14:08, kkocka wrote:

If it's been discontinued, no one told the Bacardi marketing team. It's still listed on their website, unlike the maligned Bacardi 151. I know that you can't simply rely on a corporate site for completely accurate information, but I haven't seen evidence that Bacardi 8 had been discontinued.

Kevin

On 2017-01-25 17:40, jj69 wrote:

Please post more
Mahalo

I've actually been trying to recreate Sam's "Shrunken Zombie Head" drink. The recipe I have (which I believe is from one of the recipe cards given out at the "Behind the Scenes" events last fall) is as follows:

Mahalo JJ..

W

I visited in November and the bartender told me they use B.G. Reynolds syrups.

When I came up with that Gorilla Grog recipe I had a hard time with the lemon juice quantity too, I went up and down with it until a Krakatoa tasted about right, 1oz of lemon seemed do the trick for me, but 1/2oz seems to work too.

Since the official recipe apparently hasn't been leaked we may never know for sure but here's what I have used in my Krakatoa Punch. Like you JJ, I found it somewhere on line and I'm not sure where
1 oz Passion Fruit juice
• 1 oz Orange juice
• 1 oz Guava juice
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 2 oz Lemon juice
• .25 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. Falernum

I think that was my reverse engineering. :wink:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45752&forum=10

And I think that if you use good, fresh lemon juice 2.oz may be a bit too much, when I was doing the initial work I had crummy dried-up lemons.

(I need to be more active here, been reading for years and years and not contributing...)

K

Reminder there's no sign of orgeat in Gorilla Grog - falernum, yes, but no orgeat.

W

Thanks for sharing this! I'll have to gather the juices and give it a shot.

Most definitely BG Reynolds syrups. I love being a part of the Trader Sam's experience!

W

When I visited Trader Sam's and asked about the Falernum and syrups the bartender said they used B.G. Reynolds syrups.

Pages: 1 16 replies