Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does Taylor's Falernum go bad?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Falernum is one product thst is just not sold anywhere in Japan (and neither is Lemon Hart 151, for that matter).

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Taylor's Falernum when I was home in the USA in the summer of 2015, and while cleaning up the closet I keep my liquor in, noticed that it has some cloudy sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

When I shook the bottle, the sediment made like a mini tornado and largely dispersed.

The contents still smelled OK, but I was wondering if the bottle has spoiled. (It's been in the closet so long, I've forgotten what it had looked like new. Maybe the slight cloudiness is correct.)

I'd hate to junk the bottle as there is no way to get a replacement, but I don't want to drink it if the white stuff is some sort of mold,

Thanks for any feedback!

[ Edited by: Michelle66 2017-01-30 06:41 ]

Interesting question. I think this would depend on how the falernum was made and if it was filtered. It does contain alcohol, so it is likely not spoiled, but since you've had it in storage for a while, may be some normal settling of the particulates which are normal in falernum. Shake it and then smell it, and if its still not giving you the heebie-jeebies, taste it. If it passes these tests and seems ok, you can gently raise it to 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit and then cool it rapidly in an ice bath. This would kill any living organisms but would not eliminate any toxins which could be present.

I don't suspect it would have spoiled though - I really think you're more likely seeing some settled particulates from long-term storage. My guess is that you've shaken it by now and that it's too late to post a photo.

You might want to change the title of this post to "Does Taylor's Falernum go bad?" which I think would be a more accurate thread title.

On 2017-01-30 06:35, AceExplorer wrote:
Interesting question. I think this would depend on how the falernum was made and if it was filtered. It does contain alcohol, so it is likely not spoiled, but since you've had it in storage for a while, may be some normal settling of the particulates which are normal in falernum. Shake it and then smell it, and if its still not giving you the heebie-jeebies, taste it. If it passes these tests and seems ok, you can gently raise it to 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit and then cool it rapidly in an ice bath. This would kill any living organisms but would not eliminate any toxins which could be present.

I don't suspect it would have spoiled though - I really think you're more likely seeing some settled particulates from long-term storage. My guess is that you've shaken it by now and that it's too late to post a photo.

You might want to change the title of this post to "Does Taylor's Falernum go bad?" which I think would be a more accurate thread title.

Thanks for the information (and the thread title suggestion).

I had bought the falernum to make authentic Zombie cocktails, but with Lemon Hart 151 currently unavailable in Japan, I've been conserving the half bottle I have left and the falernum has gone largely unused. (About the only overproof rum available here right now is Ronrico Purple Label...)

Michelle66, others have shared similar stories of not being able to get certain rums, syrups, mixers, etc. in their areas. It can be very rewarding to improvise. But on the other hand, you may have access to a lot of other unique and useful things in your area and country which we would love to get our hands on. I hope you find lots of good information and encouragement here on TC.

By the way, you can also make falernum at home. There are numerous recipes online, and there is quite a bit of discussion here on TC as well. I make my own, and I really enjoy the process and then the end result. The lack of choice in overproof rums in your area will require substitution, for example, perhaps with a pleasant vodka instead of the Ron Rico Purple Label. But you also have the opportunity to make two half-batches using vodka for one, and Ronrico for the other. Choose your favorite to go forward with.

Home-made falernum, from my experience, has a much stronger flavor profile than the Taylors. So prepare yourself for some new tastes if you set out to make your own. You will need a Micro Plane-type grater for the lime zests.

Let us know what you do and how it goes. Cheers!

J

I don't think it would go bad that soon. I've had bottles for more than a few years that are still fine. The color tends to turn a bit "golden" after a while, but it has smelled and tasted fine. As long as you keep the bottles tightly closed, they should be fine. If you're worried about sediment, perhaps you can leave the bottle undisturbed long enough for it to settle again, then strain it through cheesecloth.

U

Changes in temperature (warm to cold) and long, stationary storage could cause ingredients to separate resulting in either sedimentation or a coating on the inside of the bottle. I have had this happen with ouzo. Warming the bottle slightly solved the problem and didn't seem to cause any change in taste or enjoyment. Okolemaluna!

On 2017-01-30 06:28, Michelle66 wrote:
Falernum is one product thst is just not sold anywhere in Japan (and neither is Lemon Hart 151, for that matter).

Anyway, I bought a bottle of Taylor's Falernum when I was home in the USA in the summer of 2015, and while cleaning up the closet I keep my liquor in, noticed that it has some cloudy sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

When I shook the bottle, the sediment made like a mini tornado and largely dispersed.

The contents still smelled OK, but I was wondering if the bottle has spoiled. (It's been in the closet so long, I've forgotten what it had looked like new. Maybe the slight cloudiness is correct.)

I'd hate to junk the bottle as there is no way to get a replacement, but I don't want to drink it if the white stuff is some sort of mold,

Thanks for any feedback!

[ Edited by: Michelle66 2017-01-30 06:41 ]

I’ve burned through many bottles of Taylor’s Falernum over the years. I’ve purchased it looking like it has been highly filtered at times, and containing a slight amount of particulate at other times. The only problem with your bottle is that you’re not drinking it.. If you can’t make a zombie, make some corn and oils and suck it up!

JDT Velvet Falernum has a date on the bottle, although I couldn't tell you if it's a production, best by, or use by date.

Pages: 1 7 replies