Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Plantation Overproof OFTD

Pages: 1 7 replies

J

Any specific uses for this? Can it be a feasible substitute (directly, or as part of a blend) for any discontinued or impossible to find rums?

Try it in any recipes you previously used Lemon Hart 151 in. While it's not the same thing and is slightly lower proof, it is a good stand in.

In Chandler Arizona we have an AMAZING bar/speakeasy called The Ostrich that is in the basement of a fancy hotel. The folks that run the bar include a guy (Maxton) that used to run a bar in New Orleans who makes the finest tiki drinks (among other libations). When I was there a month or so ago, he served me the BB-46 USS Maryland that featured the OFTD rum (I've tried to include an image of the drink's description on the menu). He also poured me an ample sample-he is GREAT bartender. It was marvelous to talk to him and learn about his craft, information he shared openly and graciously. In any case, hopefully the image will come through and you have an idea of how the rum is used. THEN you need to come to Chandler Arizona and look up Maxton at The Ostrich!

[ Edited by: arcadiandj 2017-01-31 09:51 ]

Just scored a couple of bottles last week. So far the tastiest thing I have made with it has been a 138 Swizzle -- a 151 Swizzle with the OFTD in place of the LH 151.

I had high hopes for a Painkiller-type cocktail because there is a bit of a flavor profile resemblance to the higher proof Pusser's products. It was good but not great, but I used fresh juiced pineapple and orange juice and I'll have to try again using store-bought.

Looking forward to more playing around and, like the OP, would love some suggestions/recipes from anyone further along on the OFTD learning curve.

My "go to" 151 Swizzle is the Atomic Grog tribute as I find it to be a lot more exciting than the standard DtB recipe but out of curiosity I whipped up a Don's using OFTD (I guess technically a 138 Swizzle as stated above) and thought it was a lot more interesting than a Lemon Hart version. I made a few other drinks using the OFTD as a direct replacement of 151 and it worked well. Even made a high octane Big Bamboo with it. I anticipate a lot more experimenting in the future and hope to see more suggestions here.

When I was at Smuggler's Cove a couple months ago they made me a Formidable Dragon with it. The recipe is in the book.

B

Made this one a couple of weeks ago when it popped up on Imbibe's website-- it's great:

Latitude 29's "Mr. Curtis"

1¼ oz. Demerara rum (Jeff Berry uses El Dorado 8-year-old)
1 oz. chai syrup
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. Plantation O.F.T.D. Overproof rum
Tools: shaker, strainer
Glass: cocktail
Garnish: lime wedge pierced with pirate flag

Shake all ingredients with ice, then strain into chilled glass and garnish.

Chai Syrup: In a saucepan, combine 32 oz. (1 carton) of liquid chai concentrate (Berry uses Oregon Chai Original) with 20 oz. of gold turbinado or demerara sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring regularly, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool, and bottle. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

http://imbibemagazine.com/latitude-29s-mr-curtis-recipe/

B

Another great one-- this is by Steven Liles from Smuggler's Cove:

Rongorongo

1 oz. aged rum
1 oz. Stiggins’ Fancy Pineapple Rum
¾ oz. Plantation O.F.T.D. overproof rum
1 oz. pineapple juice
¾ oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. cinnamon syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters
Tools: blender
Glass: footed pilsner glass
Garnish: orchid, mint sprig, swizzle stick and pineapple leaf

Combine all the ingredients in a blender with a scoop (1 cup) of crushed ice, and blend for 5 seconds. Pour into a glass and garnish.

Enjoy!

Pages: 1 7 replies