Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"Tiki In Orange County" exhibit - Opening reception March 4, 2017

Pages: 1 19 replies

I'm "guest curating" an exhibit, "Tiki in Orange County," at the Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections & Archives in the Leatherby Libraries (4th Floor) at Chapman University in Orange. It's open to the public Monday through Friday 10am to 5pm, January 23 - August 25, 2017.

The big opening reception/exhibit will be on March 4th, at 4:30pm. (The Same day as the Tiki Marketplace in Garden Grove.) You're welcome to attend, but please click through and RSVP, so we know how many little paper umbrellas we're gonna need: https://www.facebook.com/events/1890812404488105/

Otherwise, come by and see the exhibit whenever you can. Since it will be open through August, some of you out-of-towners will hopefully have the chance to see it on your way to or from nearby San Diego.

I've incorporated materials from the South Pacific, from WWII, from the pre-Tiki (think bamboo bar) era, the "golden age" of Tiki, and the Tiki Revival. Along with material from my own collection, the exhibit also includes some wonderful Tiki stuff on loan from Bamboo Ben (and Mrs. Boo), Oceanic Arts, bigbrotiki, dustycajun, Kevin and Jody, Jason Schultz, the American Legacy Museum, the Anaheim Heritage Center, the Orange County Archives, Chapman University, and more.

It's a labor of love. I hope you like it.

Chris

Chris Jepsen
Local Historian

Chris, My wife CeCe and I will be there. I’m too old for Facebook.
David
Btw, Hatch is less then a half hour south, just off the 405. Tiki lite but ono grindz and very tasty tiki drinks

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-02-12 20:20 ]

We'll be fresh of the boat from Kansas City!

Tiki Cat that is......

Hope to see many of you there!

March 4th I am interested .

On 2017-02-18 12:28, 1961surf wrote:
March 4th I am interested .

Swell! Thanks! Please RSVP on the event FB page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1890812404488105/

I don’t do the Facebook either. I really enjoyed your presentation in Garden Grove last year and look forward to seeing this exhibit! In addition to myself, I’ll be bringing my two daughters.

That's great! Glad you enjoyed the program in Garden Grove! See you on March 4th!

CJ

Good luck dis Saturday Chris. We’re looking forward to seeing you and the exhibit.
Cheers

See Ya'll tomorrow!

8T

Would love to see this but can't get out there. Chris, is there going to be a brochure or booklet about the display that is available?

My wife and I had a wonderful tiki day. Started off at the Original Tiki MarketPlace at the Elk’s. Next we we went to Chapman U. to see and hear Charles (SpaceAgeCity) at the Exhibit . The large room was packed and the line into the exhibit was long. Lotsa tiki peeps there. GoTiki, BigToe, Kinny Ruzic, Sven, DustyCajun, and many others.Scotty (SkooTiki) gave a demo on tiki carving. Food was ono and the wine and Mai Tai’s flowed. We finished up with drinks ar Hatch in Tustin. Having trouble loading pix-will try again tomorrow.

Mahalo Chris to you and the great staff at Chapman.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-03-04 22:46 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-03-04 22:43 ]

Great presentation
great exhibition
and great Aloha there!
Thanks Chapman U and Chris!
will be visiting the exhibit again with sketchbook at the ready!
the room with the Miguel Covarrubias maps took up most of my time there...
and they're on display permanently!

Awesome!
mahalo to all who made this happen
staff and visitors alike!

You're quite welcome! Thank you ALL so much for attending last night. I saw so many friends and made so many new ones!

To anyone who missed the program/opening, please know that the exhibit will be open Monday through Friday all the way through August 25th.

If anyone thought to take photos, I'd love to see them. Post them here and/or send me some full resoultion stuff at [email protected]. I really wanted to be EVERYWHERE at once last night and say hello to everyone, but I just physically couldn't. (Stupid physics!)

Mahalo!

Chris

*On 2017-03-04 22:43, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:*Having trouble loading pix-will try again tomorrow.

Room was filled well before Chris made his appearance at the podium

Chris in action

Long line into the exhibit.

A worthwhile visit to Orange County!

Books displayed in the lobby of the Chapman library

At the entrance to the exhibit

Detail of a display

Visitors at the exhibition

Author Alan Hess and artist Kevin Kidney in discussion

The reading room

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2017-03-08 08:41 ]

That was really fun event, thank Chris Jepsen for all of the hard work putting it together. Here is a link the the Flickr photo album for the event.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/traderchris/sets/72157677673181063/

DC

M

Enjoyed the Flickr Photo Album.

S

I had a great time at the opening reception Chris. Thanks for the opportunity to do a little bit of TiKi carving. It was a privilege to be involved in a small way.

Navigating around Chapman University is an adventure for out-of-towners

Chapman University: Tiki in Orange County

but when you make it to the exhibit, it's worth it

Pages: 1 19 replies