Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Art or Images in Weird and Strange Places

Pages: 1 7 replies

We have a thread for tiki faces in weird and strange places, and a thread for strange tiki merchandise. This thread is for tiki art and/or related elements (in a very broad sense) found in strange and unusual places.

I'm starting with a single photo below, and will eventually add some close-up scans once I get some of the actual product.

I'm planning on visiting the opening of a new tiki-themed section of a water park this weekend and I might find some other interesting things to post.

Here we go: Organic tortilla chips with a pretty cool tapa pattern and very subtle sort-of-bamboo background decorating the bag. How tortilla chips and tapa designs came to be connected on this packaging is a mystery, but I'll guess the packaging designer(s) may be fans of tiki. The Kirkland brand hails from the Pacific Northwest, so it's possible they are familiar with the tiki scene in that part of the country and wanted to do something fun with it. The design and color scheme is very cool.

On 2017-03-22 11:58, AceExplorer wrote:

Here we go: Organic tortilla chips with a pretty cool tapa pattern and very subtle sort-of-bamboo background decorating the bag. How tortilla chips and tapa designs came to be connected on this packaging is a mystery [...]

Rumor has it that somewhere, deep in the thickets of uncharted Polynesia, the "Taco Pop" subculture is going strong. Perhaps Costco has locations out there and is marketing to them....?

We actually had those chips later that night after posting to this thread. They're pretty awesome, organic, GMO-free, gluten free, and yes also tiki-free...

Tapa markings and South American glyphs/pottery motifs often have similiar motifs
the spiral is one example.... Is this because of Ancient Polynesian migration or is it some universal motif we all have in our collective iconic recall... Not sure,but i would kindly have to say that these chips do not fulfill the thread's title....
The whole Tortilla Chip Bag/Tapa motif connection is not a connection at all
but a mis-identification....
Now... if you could enlarge the "tapa"
it will get clearer as to whether the designers used a South American OR Polynesian motif for the border...
:)

On 2017-03-28 12:34, little lost tiki wrote:
Not sure,but i would kindly have to say that these chips do not fulfill the thread's title....

...and...

Now... if you could enlarge the "tapa"

Great feedback, thank you, little lost tiki. I'm not an expert, and am glad you shared your insights because I'll learn from it. And Mike and Marie, yup, they are dang good tasting chips.

I will take a pic of the bag's artwork and post the photo here. Previously I was only able to post an image from the manufacturers site, and I know it was hard to see.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts once you see these more clearly, and understand this product as shown may not fit the thread title. I'm curious, though, to learn if a designer might have come up with some unique hand-drawn versions for purposes of "cultural neutrality" on the packaging, but may have still drawn upon inspiration from the motifs of other cultures.

Tapa or not, let's see what we've got here. I'm hoping there will be other posts similar to it in this thread. Cheers!

Found at a yard sale. Award for participating at the Irvine Lake Mud run in Irvine, California Ribbon is missing. My quick research disclosed no connection to Tiki other than the party city Tiki image and the Nazi torches on the medal.
Cheers

On 2017-08-27 22:19, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
...Nazi torches...

In a couple years when people look back on this thread that will be a very confusing remark!

T

God, I hope so. As if the cries of "cultural appropriation" aren't bad enough,now we have Nazi tiki torches...geez.

Pages: 1 7 replies