Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Liquor.com's 11 best tiki bars

Pages: 1 14 replies

This just popped up in my inbox, so I thought I'd share:

The Best Tiki Bars in the USA

Not sure how accurate it is, since I've never been to any of these, but there are some familiar names dotting the list. In my experience, lists of this nature succeed best at stirring controversy. :wink:

K

"There are no matching venues. Try widening your filters."

Upon clicking your link. =\

Strange!
The link worked yesterday when I clicked it; and now it appears that Liquor.com removed the whole write-up

Yeah. I looked at it yesterday when Sven posted the same link on Facebook.

The one they included that made a few people twitch was Mother of Pearl in New York, which bills itself as a "Post Modern" Tiki Bar.

"Post Modern" in this case, I guess, means they decided to make their place a breezy white-washed resort type of atmosphere, right down to painting their Tiki barstools white!

Some of their drinks look interesting, though.

I called it hair salon decor.

On 2017-04-26 21:06, bigbrotiki wrote:

You nailed it with that description Sven!

K

On 2017-04-26 21:06, bigbrotiki wrote:

Took the words right outta my mouth. Although, if you can get a manicure while sipping a navy grog...

A 'post-modern' tiki bar is idiotic and the antithesis to what tiki is supposed to look like.

For what it's worth, in the past I've had some brief email exchanges with the editor of Liquor.com about errors and inaccuracies. He was friendly and polite, and appreciated feedback. But they mostly put out a "decent" product with some inaccuracies and silliness like the white-washed "tiki" bar.

Sometimes the pressure to publish content overtakes the interest and desire to publish quality material.

But the white-washed joint --- there's no excuse for putting that on the list.

I do read these articles and try to keep in mind that few journalists travel the country trying out tiki bars. So sometimes these things are an indication of the shallowness (or depth) of the writer's knowledge. It's a good thing that we chime in and make ourselves heard. We don't want our "real" tiki places taken for granted.

On 2017-04-27 12:29, AceExplorer wrote:

Sometimes the pressure to publish content overtakes the interest and desire to publish quality material.

I just got an email from them advertising a "The Best Long Lived Bars In The USA" article featuring an SF bar that was opened in 2009. I love Rickhouse but come on.

That white bar looks like something out of some bizarre movie dream sequence in heaven.

OGR

On 2017-04-27 13:18, HopeChest wrote:

On 2017-04-27 12:29, AceExplorer wrote:

I just got an email from them advertising a "The Best Long Lived Bars In The USA" article featuring an SF bar that was opened in 2009. I love Rickhouse but come on.

That white bar looks like something out of some bizarre movie dream sequence in heaven.

Or Liberace's House :)

F

Mother of Pearl is supposed have a good cocktail program, but the interior reminds me of the Milk bar from A Clockwork Orange. Throw on a little of the Ludwig van and let's get drinking!
:drink:

Glad, but not surprised, that Porco's is #4.

On 2017-04-29 13:31, finky099 wrote:
Mother of Pearl is supposed have a good cocktail program, but the interior reminds me of the Milk bar from A Clockwork Orange. Throw on a little of the Ludwig van and let's get drinking!
:drink:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. A little laced milk and we're all up for some ultra-violence! Not terribly tiki, that, is it?

On 2017-05-02 21:11, Prikli Pear wrote:
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. A little laced milk and we're all up for some ultra-violence! Not terribly tiki, that, is it?

Watch out for violent acts done with tiki figures, lol!

(sorry, had to say it, it was just too easy...)

Pages: 1 14 replies