Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Any recipes using Praline liqueur?

Pages: 1 7 replies

This coming Saturday, June 24th, is National Praline Day. I've seen Evangeline's Praline Liqueur at Total Wine and thought it might make a good addition to a tiki drink (in the same vein as macadamia nut liqueur or Frangelico). But I've not been able to find any recipes using it at all. I might just try experimenting, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any existing recipes first.

T

Well if it's like macadamia nut liqueur or Frangelico then look up drinks made with those
Liqueurs for a start.

There is also a whipped cream vodka that may work with this stuff.

Mac Nut Martini: Garnish with Donkey Ball (Chocolate covered Macadamia Nuts)
½ oz. Macadamia Nut Liqueur
2 oz. Absolut Vanilla Vodka

I'm just worried that the praline liqueur might be a lot sweeter than either the macadamia nut liqueur or Frangelico. I haven't tried it yet, but I did see one post mention that it's incredibly sweet, perhaps more so than the other nut-based liqueurs. It might make more sense to use it as a substitute for orgeat rather than a liqueur, but again, I wanted to find out if anyone has actually used the stuff.

T

I did find some so they are out there.
Try not to use the flavored vodkas and other fake man made flavored boozes myself.
If I use these in a drink and they do away with that man made flavored thing I can't make that drink / food again.

Plus some of them have a bad flavor, like the pomegranate vodka.

Looks like it's used in coffee type drinks a lot.

N'awlins Mudslide recipe
1 oz Praline New Orleans-style pecan liqueur
1 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
1 oz Bailey's® Irish cream

Add ice to an old-fashioned glass and add all three ingredients. Swirl the glass to blend the colors. Prolonged sipping is suitable or drink it like a shot. Savor the flavor!

Serve in: Old-Fashioned Glass

I like Skip's advice. This is a great opportunity to experiment and have a lot of fun testing. If it does turn out to be super-sweet, then dial it back and try to find proportions that are balanced and flavorful.

This, my friend, is what draws many of us into little projects and in to building out our home bars.

Have fun!

T

In looking for recipes for this I found a recipe on how to make it, as in Praline Liqueur.
See now yer talkin, make Praline Liqueur and that is the drink.

Plus you can tweak it to your tastes.
Too sweet, take out some sugar.

Plus when you make it yourself you gain knowledge and that Pecan flavor in your Praline Liqueur comes from Pecans not some lab made substitute.
How about using Palm sugar instead of brown or even a mix of the two.

This makes the more creative of us think wait what about making macadamia nut liqueur.

Good luck with whatever you come up with.

T

Would bet that you could just substitute macadamia nuts for the Pecans and make macadamia nut Liqueur with this Recipe.

Make it yourself, that's the Tiki way.
Plus when you serve it you can say "I made this Liqueur myself"
Or "I put my biggest nuts in this just for you" then my wife would kick me.

Homemade Praline Liqueur

Ingredients
2 cups dark brown sugar firmly packed
1 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups water
4 cups Pecan pieces toasted
4 vanilla beans split length wise
4 cups Vodka

1 combine brown sugar, sugar, and water in a pan over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.

2 Place vanilla beans and pecans in a gallon jar. Pour hot mixture into jar and let cool. Add vodka.

3 Cover tightly and store in a dark place at room temp for 2 weeks. Shake jar once daily.

4 Strain mixture and discard solids. Will make 4 1/2 cups liqueur

I bet that would be really good in a lion's tail. Seems like it would taste really good with the bourbon and the allspice dram. Maybe lemon instead of lime? But I bet the bourbon tiki drinks would work well with that.

Pages: 1 7 replies