Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Homemade 'coconut rum'

Pages: 1 6 replies

Anyone got a good recipe? I'm trying to emulate something like Cruzan coconut (can't get it in my country and have never tasted it). We can get Malibu and Koko Kanu, both of which I find overwhelmingly sweet.

I'm angling to make a version of the Three Rum Scum, which also calls for Sailor Jerry's (which I'm also not crazy about). For the Jerrys I'm going to make a home version of the SC Spiced Rum from the Smuggler's Cove book. What should i make for the coconut rum?

(I'm guessing I'll need a sweetish recipe because I believe the Cruzan rum is on the sweet side (?). There's a recipe for fresh coconut infused rum on the Serious Eats website - http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/03/how-to-make-diy-homemade-coconut-rum.html - but that involves no sugar at all which judging by the recipe isn't what's needed.)

Not sure if this is what you may be looking for....I did this. Uses quite a bit of simple syrup also. Came out pretty good, I drank it straight. I used Myer's Platinum White for the rum. I think most commercial coconut rums are clear, and probably have a extract added for the flavor.

https://youtu.be/Vc0kLEQEaEc

howlinowl

Nice! Thank you very much. . And the fastest reply I've had on here, I think!

Did he specify any measurements or does he kind of eyeball it the whole way? It looks like roughly 1 cup of simply syrup and 1 cup of chopped coconut, with maybe 2 - 2.5 cups of rum poured over it but that's just my guess?

I'd have to watch it again, it's been a while since I'd made it. I do know it called for two 750 ml bottles of white rum (I had bought a 1.75 ltr bottle as it was only a buck each than the 750 ml ones at the time). Two or three coconuts....probably two, but I think I upped it. Can't remember the simple syrup at the moment. Everything went into a sun tea jar and into my kegerator. After the required time, (have to check the video, but two weeks seems to come to mind), just filtered out the coconut bits and bottled. I only used a fine-mesh strainer, would get few small bits every once in a shot. It was white and would separate, had to shake it before serving. Not sure of the alcohol volume. Rum was 40 proof, but after the addition of the simple syrup, I'm sure it was probably lower.

Starting to think I need to make more of it

howlinowl

If you're going SC with the spiced rum, why not take the same route as them for the coconut rum. Use about equal parts rum and coconut cream.

For example in his updated lei lani volcano the book calls for 1 oz coconut cream and 1 & 1/2 oz blended aged rum, where the original recipe from the total tiki app calls for 2 & 1/2 oz coconut rum

[ Edited by: The_Alchemist 2017-08-26 08:05 ]

Hi Alchemist - you know I missed the fact there was a cocunut recipe in the SC book, although using coconut cream sounds like a great idea. I currently have a bottle of Bacardi sitting steeping with the flesh of one coconut..

There's a recipe on the Total Tiki app? I'm sure there isn't on the app I have! Thanks btw

Oh hold on - are you saying there's an approach to getting the effect of coconut rum that doesn't involve making an infusion? In which case bring it on, because I only want this for the recipes.

Pages: 1 6 replies