Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Florida Feb/Mar 2018 Tour: Mr. Ho’s Orchestrotica

Pages: 1 13 replies

MH

Ok, Florida tiki folks, buy tickets for Brian's concert NOW! I'm going to the Bonita Springs performance on Sat Feb 25th 2018 and I've got 2nd row dead-center seats. I'm driving all the way from Jacksonville for this concert - it's a "must see" for me and Mrs. Explorer.

We all like this music, right? Buy tickets and don't miss out on what I know will be a great show.

Seriously, you have no excuse if you live in the Orlando or Tampa areas to get tickets and then get in your car and drive a couple hours for an outstanding 3pm show.

Do you need an added bonus? After the concert you can swing by the Bahi Hut in Sarasota afterwards for drinks. That's where we will be. And we're bringing duct tape so we don't fall off their awesome bar stools!

Cheers!

I am planning to attend the 3PM Sunday show in Venice, Tiki Gods willing...

That's great - I'm sure it will be a good show. We don't get to see Mr. Ho's often enough here in Florida.

MH

Thanks everyone! The presenter actually told me about the Bahi Hut prior to knowing any relationship to tiki. How’s that for karma?

Maybe we can meet up there!

Mr. Ho

Definitely could do that, we will be going to the Bahi after the Saturday show.

P
pablus posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2018 6:30 PM

We plan on attending the show and then hitting Bahi as well.

P
pablus posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2018 6:31 PM

Sunday show.

MH

Thanks for the support everyone!

Local FL folks - looking for recs for stone crab in south miami, bonita springs, and sarasota/venice area. Always try to have them in season. The presenter for us in Bonita told us to try Pinchers in Bonita Springs but no recommendations yet for other locales. Can we get claws @ Bahi Hut ? :wink:

On 2018-02-20 12:57, Mr. Ho wrote:
Local FL folks - looking for recs for stone crab in south miami,

In South Miami, everyone I know goes to Joe's Stone Crabs. It's a classy joint along a waterway and next to a marina as I recall. It's high-end, so you should be very pleased with both quality and service. I think I ate there and had excellent steak though, it's been a while. You're close to South Beach, so make sure you drive a bit north after your meal. Dance on the tables / bar top at Mango's in South Beach and post photos here. NEVER look at your watch and just have fun!

MH

Ace: I almost qualified my earlier post by saying, “I’m well versed with Joe’s Stone Crab in South Beach after last Hukilau visits” so that one I’m well aware of (also fell in love with key lime pie there). Any other suggestions? It’s probably a bit too formal and not practical for this trip and the time we have. We’re only in Miami one night and staying near the airport...

Unfortunately I can't be more help for stone crabs, but it's a huge food city and there will be many outstanding options. That's always my problem when I go there... Cuban versus Brazilian steak houses versus seafood versus German (yes - Bavaria Haus and Schnitzel Haus on Biscayne Bay) will drive you mad. Of course there are nice views (and seafood) from the Rusty Pelican on Biscayne Bay where a big scene from Caddyshack was filmed with Judge Smails and his boating disaster. (I know, not tiki, but it's Caddyshack!!) But it's not the best choice for dining when the rest of the city has true culinary and cocktail jewels. What I do when I'm looking for guidance in a new city:

1. Concierge and hotel staff - they get these questions a lot, and the restaurants pump up the hotels with information, and they know from past guests who the winners and the dives are.
  2. Locals, even your porter or cab driver, cuz, well, they KNOW the city.
  3. Yelp and Tripadvisor if you're really not making progress with #1 and #2.

The big goal is to avoid your one night becoming a disappointment - you need a true winner. That's why I like the concierges and the locals, and I will sometimes compare them against each other to confirm that the hotel isn't simply in cahoots with the "restaurant-of-the-month."

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes. And if you need someone to bail you out of jail, post a note here -- you know you can count on us TC'ers to help out and then to keep quiet about it. Ha...

M
Mambo posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2018 1:43 PM

Saw Mr. Ho's in Miami this past Saturday.
Great tunes and time!
Thanks Brian.
Keep up the great work.

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2018 9:36 AM

Thanks for making the trek Mambo; glad you enjoyed it! :wink:

Mr. Ho

Pages: 1 13 replies