Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vics recipe auction... wow!

Pages: 1 17 replies

Not sure if anyone was following this one but, wow! Quickly got out of my price range. Since the auction is over I hope it's okay to post the link. Definitely was not my auction.

Just thought some might find it interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trader-Vic-s-Backbar-Drink-Recipe-Book-Hawaiian-Tiki-Bar-Super-RARE-/253421944247?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=hUYQOJryfS5fHUmtqCO%252BXrpi%252B4s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Yeah. That's impressive!

Wow!! Crazy!

(That Suffering Bastard recipe though...)

Yeah, there's definitely a couple of pics worth saving in there.

On 2018-02-19 13:55, CosmoReverb wrote:
(That Suffering Bastard recipe though...)

I misread this as "Stuttering Bastard," which would make sense given the crazy sale price! I wonder what such a recipe would look like? Surely something to give the would-be drinker pause...

Yeah, I'm going to compare the recipes in the pics to the recipes I have at home.

Study hard, my friends, and do lots of "homework!"

RR

That is a sad Mai Tai recipe.

I'm guessing it'd be silly to hope that someone here won it and would share the recipes with the rest of the gang?

howlinowl

A

It's cool, but since Vic pretty much provided all his recipes in his bartender guide, I think the price is a bit ridiculous.

K

Oh man, I'd love to know who the winner was!

Is there a particular name for that style of binder? My searches are just turning up the three-ring type. An card folder of that particular design looks mighty convenient and would work much better in my bar than the Moleskine I'm currently using.

I haven't found anything new, but search Kardex Card File Folder. You might can find a vintage one for sale.

Leave it to tikiskip to come through with links! Those prices are a little on the high end for me, but this absolutely gives me a great starting place. Thanks, man!

R

Very cool. Plus a 10% off first time buyers discount. I am one of those people who needs cheat sheets on occasion and this would be ideal.

Rick in Texas

On 2018-02-22 12:26, tikiskip wrote:
https://www.acscatalog.com/Card_Indexer_Kardex_Visible_Records_p/185-ln-acs.htm

https://www.acscatalog.com/Card_Indexer_Kardex_Visible_Records_p/285-ln-acs.htm

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-02-22 12:28 ]

T

"Those prices are a little on the high end for me"

Yeah they are kinda high dollar, but they are made of leather.
What's a leather wallet go for these days?

It's one of those things that you can find for less but it could take many years to do it.
Plus it looks like these might be used by doctors or hospitals so that can jack up the price too.

My drinks mostly these days are booze, juice or coke, ice.

Yeah, it's a matter of prioritization. I want it, but for that I can get a couple of large glass floats, the better part of two rolls of bamboo fence, boards to carve for the column cladding, and additional tropical ceiling fan to replace those remaining ugly white ones... what gives me the most bang for my buck in the ongoing bar build? I might think a recipe index like that is super-cool (especially since I don't have any recipes committed to memory yet) but will my guests be wowed? Probably not. :)

At least the Mai Tai recipe was shown. Interesting that lime wasn't mentioned.

Pages: 1 17 replies