Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Bora Bora hut, my home Tiki bar in The Netherlands

Pages: 1 26 replies

F

I got to know the whole Tiki culture in 1998 when I spend some time in USA. Immediately understood that was a phenomenon that only in the USA can take place. Many years later and back in Europe I started dealing with vintage items online. In my searches here in The Netherlands I started to find vintage bamboo furniture pieces from the 50s 60s and 70s that can easily fit in a Tiki hideaway. On the other hand the typical Dutch citizen travels around the world for work or on vacation and they always bring with them the typical cheese tourist souvenirs as well as proper local art work. That means that in thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales, etc you have a big chance to score something. Also Indonesia and Guinea where also Dutch colonies and the cultural links are still alive.

After several intents to get a nice bamboo bar I manage to find one from the 60s in good shape and reasonably priced. I picked up in Rotterdam and that was the begin. From there I looked here a TC for inspiration. Our Tiki bar is an outdoor area. I have to deal with several negative facts: the weather cold and wet, a limited budget and the outdoor space that have to be share since is also our bicycles storage and the garden which is 80% kinder oriented. This means no tropical construction materials, some African masks instead PNG which I will like to have and not the indoor space where you can create easily the escape/immersion feel.

We where also looking for a fun and bright outdoor space to enjoy during the short season of good weather. The space has came out with more of a Caribbean that Polynesian look and is far from what I will like to have but is a first step and we are going to enjoy it.

With the purchase of this vintage bar has everything begin:

Then I made a structure with bamboo to hang from the ceiling and fishnet to camouflage the nasty chipboard from the roof.

The shelving was a quick solution to display the nic nacs and also needs to be improved

The bar and lounge area

In my short term to do list:
-a name for the hut (have few in mind but not decided yet)
-drinks menu and flyers ( a tattoo artist friend is working on some drawings and I will put them together)
-kick off party ( in our neighborhood at the begin of July is a night when people open there patios and gardens and let musicians (mostly classic music) play live. I was thinking on having the B side from that and take advantage that people goes from house to house and playing exotica records in my bar announced with few flyers along the route from the other shows. And of course have my crew on board.

Kind regards from the no tropics Netherlands,

Fran.

[ Edited by: FranNL 2019-07-28 08:32 ]

T

Welcome and congratulations on building your tiki space! It looks great so far, and I will anxiously look forward to seeing your progress. That bamboo and netting ceiling treatment is fantastic. :)

Cheers,

Jeff

F

Aloha, I forgot to show the gator that keeps my kids away from the rum

And few details, I really dig this little couple
the Moai and a Indonesian carving from Nias, Soumatra(all the way to the right on the shelf):

Then few masks and bamboo carvings:

BB

Again, welcome! I like the mixture of mask & carving styles - it gives it a globetrotter / explorer feel.

Very nice, Fran! We all know that the space available forces the tiki to adjust to it, and building an outdoor tiki lounge is a challenge in any climate. I think you've done a fantastic job thus far, pulling together the available elements and cultural connections. The rum gator is a nice touch--I didn't know they had those in the Netherlands! :wink:

H
Hamo posted on Wed, May 30, 2018 9:28 PM

Welcome to TC, Fran, and congratulations on your home tiki space. It’s more than I have, and even better than one commercial “tiki” bar I’ve visited....

Go Fran! We are anxiously awaiting pix as you progress.
Best wishes

T

LIKE the distinctive pieces your showing. Please keep TC updated. (-:

F

I just added a small Maori Tiki a carved mask from Bali and a couple of typical Indonesian landscape scene made of bamboo (real kitsch).

[ Edited by: FranNL 2018-06-19 02:51 ]

[ Edited by: FranNL 2018-06-19 02:52 ]

K

Very nice set up!

F
FranNL posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2018 2:55 AM

I added a little rattan shelf that blends well but also open my eyes to keep decorating that wooden fence.

C

Very nice Tiki Bar, sir.. Tiki can be anywhere and you prove that.. How was the tiki neighborhood party?.. I bet everyone loved your house and drinks.. Enjoy!

F

Few updates here, we finally came out with a name for the bar: "Bora Bora hut"
We also have planed a grand opening for Sept.15. A friend made the invitation for us:

Last night we had a pre-party and went really well. Tried out some recipes and garnishes I now also have all the booze at home for the opening. Was funny to heard the conversations between the guests and there own impressions of "tiki". My favorite was when this colleague of my partner said (when Martin Denny's Quiet village song was playing) she felt like a mosquito was about to bite her or a snake is going to show up any minute!. I had many compliments about the cocktails (trader's Vic Mai Tai and Blue Hawaiian the most), the decor and the atmosphere. I'm really happy how the bar looks at night with few little accent lamps. I can't wait for the opening!

You're on your way, good luck at the opening!

F

I also did the drinks menu, I included a mixture of classic cocktails and tiki cocktails getting the most of the little selection of booze that I have.

F

I have few pictures of me in action last summer inauguration party

During the long winter months I manage to collect 3 boxes full of nic nacs, lighting, fake plants and more.

Last weekend I started by taking most of the decor away for a new fresh start, I want more shelving, eventually I'm trying to create more layers, I'm also paying more attention to the lighting and looking forward to ad bigger pieces with will be a question of time.
I manage to find every now and the small souvenir pieces (mostly Maori) but let me tell you is not many tiki here in Holland.

Looking good. Don't worry about finding stuff....it will find you. I'm in the USA and I have a really hard time finding anything in my location also. Keep up the good work.

F

Summer time is almost here and before going on a vacation we decided to have a tiki cocktail party at the Bora Bora Hut. The wather is nice and mild to hang out at the bar and is getting dark at 22:30 or so. Last weekend I was trying in "petit comité" the cocktails that I want to introduce to the menu and went fine. I worked this weekend on the decor and I'm gonna hit the liquor supplier in the next few days. The same week I'm planing to go to the local fruit market to get garnish and stuff for syrups.
Here the flyer for the party I be back with some pictures of the progress of my build. Aloha!

F

The mp3 play list is ready, the drink menu and the virgin cocktails list are also finish I have all the booze at home and I just need to make few syrups for next weekend.

F

couple of update pictures:

T

Looks good!

F
FranNL posted on Mon, Jul 1, 2019 1:28 AM

The party last weekend went great, I took few pictures before the first guests arrived. I didn't feel like taking pictures later when mixing cocktails and when people was relaxing and chating. At one stage I was walking behind with the orders and people had to wait for the drinks but I suppose that's what you get a home bars. Again Mai Tai and blue hawaiian were very popular followed by Honolulu and dark n' stormy. I made a couple of black magic and they were great and well appreciated. People didn't seem to like cocktails when I used either falernum or Don's spice #2.

BB

Looking good! Loving the new addition of the tall tiki.

On 2019-07-01 01:28, FranNL wrote:
People didn't seem to like cocktails when I used either falernum or Don's spice #2.

Both Falernum and Allspice liqueur can be pretty powerful flavors, depending on their strength, so to a crowd who likes sour and sweet drinks, yes, the spice can be pretty off-putting if you're not expecting it. My first attempt at home-made Falernum was way too spice-heavy, and the drinks I mixed it with suffered as a result. My second batch (Falernum #9) turned out much better, with less of a tendency to "bite". Now that I'm working with a bottle of Taylor's Velvet Falernum, it's even less spicy, and balances well.

Then again, I like the Donn Beach style spicy drinks.

The bar is looking very nice! Glad to hear the party was a success.

On 2019-07-01 01:28, FranNL wrote:
People didn't seem to like cocktails when I used either falernum or Don's spice #2.

On 2019-07-10 14:09, Bam Bam wrote:
Both Falernum and Allspice liqueur can be pretty powerful flavors, depending on their strength, so to a crowd who likes sour and sweet drinks, yes, the spice can be pretty off-putting if you're not expecting it. My first attempt at home-made Falernum was way too spice-heavy, and the drinks I mixed it with suffered as a result. My second batch (Falernum #9) turned out much better, with less of a tendency to "bite". Now that I'm working with a bottle of Taylor's Velvet Falernum, it's even less spicy, and balances well.

Then again, I like the Donn Beach style spicy drinks.

I definitely think that the classic Donn-style tiki drinks have a bit of a learning curve to them, unless you/your crowd already is used to those spices
in their food.

When I started making tiki cocktails for my wife she was not at all a fan of the Donn style drinks, now, if there isn't something like Falernum or Pimento dram in it she says it's "too sweet and kind of flat tasting". So I guess my work here is done. :wink:

Not too long ago I had some friends over for what turned into a tasting party where I made several classics including the '34 Zombie, and they all went over VERY well- But they are reasonably adventurous eaters- she's originally from China and still cooks northern and western style (Sichuan) food for her parents- and he'll eat ANYTHING. LOL.

F

@Bam Bam you are right the crowd at my party were mostly expecting sour and sweet drinks. The clove was overwhelming on my Falernum. I'm gonna keep trying maybe with another receipt, I may will buy a Taylor's velvet falernum in order to have an example.

@Sandbartender I think the learning curve is more on my side, the crowd that attended to the party was international and used to spice on there food.
Here a picture of my homemade syrups (l/r): falernum, agave syrup, chilled colombian coffee, grenadine, rich sugar and Don's spice #2

I like receipts that are long, difficult and they never come good at the first try!

F

Last summer party for my hut.

J
JJ's posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2019 1:02 AM

Hi Fran, we live in the same city and both have a home Tikbar! I don't recognize the pictures and I don't know a Fran from Breda, so II guess we'll have to get to know each other and drink some cocktails! Our homebar has a FB-page, you can find information there to contact me. See you soon! Greets, Joyce. https://www.facebook.com/JJs-Tiki-Hide-Away.

Pages: 1 26 replies