Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Snack Mix

Pages: 1 11 replies

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2018 5:21 PM

I just happened across this recipe from Food & Wine, which looks like it was first featured in the November 2008 issue. Anybody else seen or tried it?

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tiki-snack-mix

"In 2018, Food & Wine named this recipe one of our 40 best: As the modern craft cocktail scene continued to blossom, tiki cocktails were especially popular, and it seemed only fitting that there should be the perfect cocktail mix to snack on while downing a mai tai or a Singapore Sling. Former F&W Senior Associate Recipe Developer Melissa Rubel put together this irresistible mix of soy-and-honey-glazed peanuts, bacon, and chewy pineapple, combining Polynesian flavors in every bite."

That looks good!

Would leftovers require refrigeration?

T

The only item that would spoil is the bacon.
So how many days would you eat cooked bacon that has been cooked and siting out?

Pizza with bacon on it lasts out for at least a few days.
So it should be good for four or five days, heck after that long the oil starts getting weird.

That recipe is simple and straight forward, but no too quick and not too easy. I make bacon in the oven every once in a while and it can be a real mess to clean up. But it does sound interesting and tasty if you have the time to make it.

I don't see snacks as anything you want to keep around for several days. I pretty much have to make stuff for my events / parties immediately beforehand so they're fresh. There are exceptions though. But for me, time is my enemy with many party snacks / hors d'ouvres from the standpoint of prep time, and shelf life.

I keep nut mixes around for impromptu no-advance-notice or short-notice evenings. Heck, plain salted peanuts are $1 a jar at Dollar Tree. Start with that, come up with some other things you can mix in, and then you won't have to go through the production required for that recipe.

Good topic though. Reminds me to go look through Taboo Table again.

Here's a secret for a higher-end type of guest ---- take a Dorito, put a raw or cooked oyster on it, a small splash of A1, and a small dab of horseradish. Good stuff! Oysters will make the chip soggy, so it's no good if it sits out for a while, so make 'em all at once, serve on a tray, or let your guests build the snack at the bar. Can't remember where I heard or read about this, so can't credit the inventor, but it wasn't me. And this certainly isn't "polynesian" because everyone knows that Doritos are not authentic Hawaiian, lol...

On 2018-11-04 20:07, AceExplorer wrote:
...take a Dorito, put a raw or cooked oyster on it, a small splash of A1, and a small dab of horseradish. Good stuff!...

:o :o :o

Yeah, baking your bacon works well for large quantities and you don't have to tend to it, freeing you for other tasks. By frying is much quicker

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2018 9:10 PM

Alright, I expect to see both the Tiki Snack Mix and Oyster Doritos on the "What's Cooking" thread soon.

T

"baking your bacon works well for large quantities"
I used to have to cook 100 Pounds of bacon at OSU in the ovens and order by order on the grill at my restaurant both ways sucked!
May be the reason I'm not such a bacon is awesome guy.

BUT I did remember that a restaurant that was next to me in the ally was moving across the street and the guy who I knew was in there working so I went in to see him and one of the things he was moving with him was a two gallon cambro of cooked chopped bacon!

And it was bacon they cooked all congealed and yucky looking so no preservatives.
They did not refrigerate that ever.

BUT he feed that to people and nobody died that I know of, Can also say I would not eat at his place even before seeing that.

But they also used a plunger in the ice bin and I don't think it was only used for the ice bin.
One time a glass pitcher of beer broke and the bartender poured the rest of the beer from that broken pitcher in the new pitcher and served it.

You would not eat out if you knew what some idiots do in their kitchens.

No raw oysters for me Hamo, I'm a Respiratory Therapist and they remind me too much of snot :lol: The cooked ones might be good but I don't do horse raddish either

"But they also used a plunger in the ice bin and I don't think it was only used for the ice bin" :o :o :o

No raw oysters for me Hamo, I'm a Respiratory Therapist and they remind me too much of snot :lol: The cooked ones might be good but I don't do horse raddish either

"But they also used a plunger in the ice bin and I don't think it was only used for the ice bin" :o :o :o

Skip’s comments reminded me of the movie “Waiting.” If you haven’t seen it, you should. It’s not a documentary - but dang funny.

“A little floor spice makes everything nice.”

“If you don’t make the 5-second rule you immediately go to the 15-second rule.”

“I always thought ‘Chlamydia’ would be a great name for my daughter.”

And finally:

“THE BAT WING!” or “THE GOAT!” or “THE BRAIN!”

Good stuff in that movie, lots of memorable one-liners.

T

I never even when young messed with peoples food or did shaky stuff.

The guy with the plunger, Ali no longer has a restaurant, but he may still have some of that bacon left.

BUT working in other restaurants and even at OSU I have seen some bad stuff.
They used to boil the floor matts in the same kettle that they would cook in.
Not being a manager I could not tell these people anything and at times it was a boss doing the bad stuff.

One "chef" asked me if using chicken stock in a dish would make it no longer vegetarian.
Think about this guy cooking for people with religious food restrictions.

The students would do lots of the work in the kitchens and they just did not care, they are moving more towards having the students do the work so OSU doesn't have to pay for health care and benefits.

Now that's what I call "affordable"

Pages: 1 11 replies