Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2023 - Drawing Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies

MDM you and this project are one of a kind! Excellent.

Wow everyone is really going hard. I spent the last few days working on my swap art. ![](Uploading IMG_2158.jpeg…)

danlovestikis Thank you, I'm having fun!
anthonymaye You pushed the Post Reply button too soon and the pic wasn't fully loaded yet. Please try again. You have to wait until the "uploading" part of the image tag is gone. Thanks :D

My spider box is done with the glaze firing. I didn't really allow enough space for the glaze and now the lid is kind tight. It would work but it's not optimal. I think I'll take a wet tile saw and shave off about 1/8" from one edge of the lid then reglaze that edge. Box 1

Working on the spider head body. Was going to use commercial beads. But stopped at Jesus Crafts (Hobby Lobby) and they didn't have what I was looking for. So I'll make them from ceramic and glaze them
Box 2

Anthony in the tiki house 👍🏼

Mad Dog- looks great

Will- how’s the 60lb necklace coming along?

IMG_6673

IMG_6674

D

I am in for the swap this year. I have no idea what I am making yet, but I will come up with something. I think this will be swap #4 for me.

David

David in the tiki house!!!

Body shape done, started on his melon

70931691171__B7A1F0BA-256A-4CDA-B3B7-DE3A0240F0E9IMG_6722

IMG_6741

Stick God sanded to 3000 grit and Howard Feed-n-wax applied.

Super slickery!!!

IMG_6755

Next, the base, hmmmmmmmm

Palm?

Nope

Fail

Center of palm no good

IMG_6757IMG_6758

Hmm

IMG_6756

Chunk of bass wood?

IMG_6769

IMG_6761

Fail #2

Note to self, when something is not straight to start with, don’t drill a straight hole to put in in

Hmm

IMG_6763

I have a big piece of burl wood

Fingers crossed!!!

Drilled it, cleaned it up, coded it with orange oil.

IMG_6774

You will have to wait for the glamour shot

Dray1218 welcome back! hang10tiki Damn Dude!!!! Looks great! Is that burl wood going to be the base for your Tiki peg?

Yup

The Hawaiian Stick God will will rest atop the burl mountain

Bitchin'!

Thanks Mike

DONE:

The Hawaiian Stick God

IMG_6806IMG_6807IMG_6808

There's some really cool pieces being made. You are all rocking it.

Wow. That looks great

Looks AMAZING hang10tiki!

Thanks guys, can’t wait to see where it ends up. Who is going to finish up next??

I was out of town for the weekend but picked up some supplies so I'm ready to hit it again

Unfortunately CY is out of this one

😞

This post will help me keep track of people as we near the end so I don't lose anyone
hang10tiki - done
MadDogMike - done
BlackWater - done
danlovestikis - done
AnthonyMaye - done
Will carves - done
Dray1218 - done
Joshua Bell - started
Hamo - started
TikiAno - started
Dray1218 - done
Mrs PennJones - interested
CY - not this year

So far we have 11 people interested or working/finished.

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-19 11:21:36 ]

Amazing work everyone. I've been making some progress. Looking forward to the holiday weekend to work on this and little else. I'll be ready.

I seem to remember maulrat expressing interest after last year's swap; hopefully he will be able to join in.

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2023 11:16 PM

Looking good, all. I got derailed this week by an unexpected visit from my parents, but I intend to get started next week.

Working on the spider and mechanism.

https://youtu.be/axfJOxAKFKw

Spiders do well in Vegas

hang10tikiLOL.

Tried out a signatue cocktail for my mug.

Golden Tarantula.
3 fresh apricots pureed and strained.
2 oz Tequila.
1/2 oz Lime Juice.
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice.
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup.
3 drops Vanilla Extract.

It's a good enough drink but was a lot of work and mess. Add the fact that apricots have limited availability, I think I'll try with canned apricot nectar. Probably increase the lime to make up for the added sugar in the nectar. The lime tarantula wasn't that successful either LOL.

20230701_191011

MDM your spider is a cute one. Fun video.

T

Okay, thanks Mad Dog for the heads up email letting me know about the Art Swap. I did a rapid read through of the first page (need to re-read to get all of the details)- but as of now I saw-

• Wendy's Swap retirement????? Mind blowing but understood.
  • Cool work started.
  • Mad Dog, wouldn't an ACTUAL spider be food-safe? I suppose it depends on the actual kind of spider???

I'm in, I never started up my clay studio membership, but will work in SOMETHING.

I recently moved, and while taking down the home bar got to revisit ALL of the amazing work I've received via the TC Art Swap through the years. Mad Dog most likely knows exactly how many I've participated in, but taking all of the art pieces down and into boxes brought me back and made me smile loads. Now, without a dedicated (garage) bar TC pieces are slowly appearing everywhere- which will make for fun discussions with future guests.

Mike, your crocodile has embedded itself in the new curb strip and surprising dogs on their daily walks, though!

Thanks for reaching out MDM, and even cooler running into you and Teresa at the Bali Hai (though I still apologize for bursting in and messing up your date!) :)

[ Edited by TikiAno on 2023-07-02 14:35:05 ]

Looking great everyone.

IMG_0648

True story TikiAno, I'm allergic to spiders (along with all the arthropods including insects, and crustaceans) so a spider in my drink might not be a good idea.
Yup, I'm a spreadsheet kinda guy so I have a spreadsheet that shows the participants for every swap back to 2008 (You have 12)
It was so great to run into you and Bamalamalu at Bali Hai. It made our evening <3

Looking great BlackWater! in 15 years or so of running the Swap I've never "fixed" the outcome to take my choice of the prizes, but I might be tempted this time LOL

MDM: same, if only to freak out my wife who’s terrified of spiders LOL.

[ Edited by BlackWater on 2023-07-04 21:18:04 ]

LOL

T

Wow, everything is looking killer. Hang10, love it, send to San Diego. BlackWater, awesome- you, too, should also send to San Diego.

Mad Dog, love it, and the video of the spider box in action is amazing.

Since the theme is wide open- or, themeless, I suppose, I better start doing some research and sketching stuff out. I should have some time this weekend to dig in. Cheers and I hope everyone had a great 4th and still has all of their fingers!

Blackwater- niiice

Ano in the tiki hut 🛖

hang10tiki how many more days? LOL.

I had a little clearance wiith the lid sliding. So I put it on the tile saw and trimmed a slightest sliver off each side. Then reglazed both sides. Now it's a bit too small but I'll make it work.

20230705_192736

Next to get final operation of the spider mechanism

Mike, you might also consider apricot liqueur, maybe ½ oz if you're upping the lime. Plus, with that ingredient you'll be able to make my Thunder in Paradise (and other classic cocktails; I can send some recipes if necessary....)

IMG_8954

Also also, what if you rejiggered the grapefruit and cinnamon to the Don's Mix ratio of 2:1?

[ Edited by Hamo on 2023-07-05 20:02:53 ]

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jul 5, 2023 8:14 PM

Okay, I've been thinking about my contribution, and considering that this year is the 90th anniversary of the opening of Don's Beachcomber Cafe (and possibly also the renaissance of the brand), I remembered this advertisement from an old Hawaiian newspaper I picked up from a thrift shop a few years ago.

IMG_8955

IMG_8956

I've also pulled out my lino print supplies and am trying to decide between these two thrifted frames. The darker one is larger than the plastic "woven mat" one, so whichever one I chose will determine the size of my piece.

IMG_8957

Here's the mechanism with spider. All food safe and removable for cleaning. The black nylon string activates the spider.
20230705_201839

The axel pivots an a ceramic cradle, the string extends out the back of the box.
20230705_201928

The string rests in a slot in the lid. Now it needs a knot or bead at just the right point. As the lid slides back, it pulls the string, turns the wheel, lifts the spider. The string can slip backwards from the slot to remove it from the lid.
20230705_202014

That might work, I've visited a couple stores and came up dry on the apricot nectar. Thanks.

I like where your project is going!

Inspiration struck!

IMG_2763

We'll see how it looks once it has skin on it.

I like a guy who works with what ya got. Good job.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies