Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2023 - Drawing Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies

Good to have Joshua Bell in the house!

I finally got my spider mechanism worked out
https://youtu.be/5OLUWKmERcw

Wow MDM that came out great. Racing towards the finish line myself.

Very cool MDM you made it work! So good to see old timers returning to the swap. I think cardboard is harder to work than clay. So much well done art this year.

Cheers, Wendy

Thank you BlackWater and danlovestikis

All done, here's some glamour shots

As it stands now we have 2 entrants finished, 4 others started, and who have expressed interest. [@Mrs.PennJones], Will carve, Dray1218, and TikiAno we have just under 2 weeks left.

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-10 20:27:28 ]

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-10 20:35:04 ]

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-10 20:35:30 ]

MadDogMike it's time to revise your list. I am entering the swap with a painting. I have now determined that I can be done in time. I will post soon. I'm going to see if I can get Swizzle to sign on too. Cheers, Wendy

PS that darling scary box turned out so well, you always challenge yourself

Whoooohoooo!!! Wendy is back! I'll revise my list and we'll look for some progress pic <3

Mike, I'm going to pick up a frond today & start my swap project. After seeing your effort I'm amping it up from a pendant to a frond. After encouraging you to take on that spider I'd better cone up with something good.

LOL, go Will!!!

Ok, looking good all

The field is growing

Awesome

Mad dog done. Sweet

IMG_7798

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jul 11, 2023 8:42 PM

Well, I started on my piece tonight, but I'm not very happy with it.

IMG_8966

I used a block of speedy carve, and it's really too soft the type of detail needed to carve the subject. (Also, I don't have any tracing paper, so I used a piece of tissue paper.) Anyway, I'm descending the mountain Thursday afternoon for a three-day weekend roadtrip, so I might as well stop at a hobby store and get some proper supplies.

Hamo sounds like a plan.

OK, I am reading to start posting my progress on my entry into the swap.

I went through my frames and picked one out. I decided to paint a Kava Kava Man from Easter Island.

I touched up the frame since it's been in my frame collection in my closet for decades. 0 summer TC swap (1)0 summer TC swap (2)0 summer TC swap (3)

I didn't have a lot of time to get this done so I picked out a subject that I had painted for myself. So I've had practice doing this guy. It is acrylic paint on black velvet. summer TC swap (1)

[ Edited by danlovestikis on 2023-07-11 20:55:42 ]

Interesting process Hamo!

Awesome Wendy! But your Kava Kava Man needs something to eat! LOL

MadDogMike I never thought that until now!

Painting on black velvet means one layer let it dry and then the next layer on and on. summer TC swap (3)summer TC swap (5)

When doing the layers I pull a pick through the paint so that it has the texture of weathered wood grain. summer TC swap (6)

summer TC swap (9)

[ Edited by danlovestikis on 2023-07-12 08:37:18 ]

Hamo - go go go

Wendy. Go go go! Love that we down loaded the same photo at sometime

Me wood

U paint

Send to Vegas

IMG_7886

hang10tiki are you sure I didn't steal that photo from you back when you started this carving? I think I did. Love the photo and your carving. Cheers, Wendy

T

Mad Dog, I know my mind cannot possibly be as creative or as wild as your mind is, but I feel very lucky that I can watch some of the beautiful madness you create. So cool- and impressive as well!

Hamo, I look forward to see what's next, looks killer to me.

Wendy, I'm so happy that you are now out of retirement and making art again! (Just kidding but I can't wait to see what you create).

I've been looking through a variety of books looking for inspiration- for a "theme-less" swap, I first wanted something that might have inspired everyone- but that was a little too wide. Then I thought back to what inspired me to get into tiki... but my memories of going to the Hawaii Kai back in 1985 is a little spotty...

So, I looked through a variety of books, from Sven's, to some that Wendy gave me oh so many years ago....

At first I thought about a certain fella from San Francisco...

IMG_1532

IMG_1531

Then a rather classic menu, with an image I'm rather fond of...

IMG_1534

Then to a classic Witco piece (as I've been hoping to find one in the wild, especially now as I decorate my new pad)

And then, I remembered my love of a certain fireplace in Ohio that I was never able to visit and see in person, but that I've always been attracted to.

IMG_1535

Way back when I did a few Kahiki fireplace inspired pieces out of clay, but this time it will be a routed wood piece, with (hopefully) red led eyes.... more to come!

TikiAno I love that fireplace too! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

TikiAno it is fun to not miss a swap. I've enjoyed them over the years. I would do the work and Dan would reap the benefits.

Time to post some more steps on my Kava Kava Man painting.

I mapped out the design and then started layering. summer TC swap (10) summer TC swap (11) summer TC swap (14) summer TC swap (16)

Time to dry. summer TC swap (19)

[ Edited by danlovestikis on 2023-07-13 09:10:29 ]

Looks great Wendy!

Ano- get that fireplace going

So will u be posting your new home bar in the home bar posts?

Wendy- good so far

[ Edited by hang10tiki on 2023-07-13 16:20:11 ]

Thank you men. It's sure fun to watch everyone make their submission. Great stuff.

In progress...

IMG_2780

All right, I'm on it.DSC02216

Wow, so much awesome creativity.

IMG_0678

T

Wow, Joshua, killer- I'm always so amazed by your work, great job!

Wendy, incredible work! Gorgeous.

Willcarve, awesome start (way better than mine, more on that mess below).

BlackWater, so cool!

Hang10, haha- well, it's a very long story- will catch you up soon- but I'm currently trying to give away the old bar from my old house- it will either stay here in San Diego or get chopped up- I thought about disassembling and moving but building a bar via nail gun and having a poured resin top, in retrospect, was not forward thinking re: potential of ever moving it! Haha.

I figured I had better start soon, so first I found an old board in the old garage, and sketched it out- my first version was all graphed out, but I wanted to make a few changes. Started routing it out- but forgot I wasn't using a piece of solid wood but some plywood... so some details flew away in protest.

IMG_1569

Added some texture- again, not the best idea with plywood...

IMG_1570

Took a wire brush to clean off the pencil and ....

IMG_1572

(I admit I haven't used my router since the last Swap, so I'm a bit rusty....)

Then I felt like Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles, my hand and its ability to rout straight lines had gone to hell... (reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzcgyk62cHU)

Took the torch to the wood so check texture (and this is what alerted me to the wiggly lines).

IMG_1573

Next up, jigsaw the piece out, add some color- still debating whether to all brown toned wood stain or go closer to the actual fireplace...

Also plan to drill out the eyes and put red LED lights behind it- but will leave it detachable so that if the recipient doesn't want to plug it in they can remove.

[ Edited by TikiAno on 2023-07-16 14:12:14 ]

[ Edited by TikiAno on 2023-07-16 14:12:43 ]

This is a wonderful swap and I am so glad to not miss it. Each piece of art shown here is wonderful. I'm excited.

Also, you all are the best tiki people ever. Thank you for the kind words. My painting is finished and here are the photos of the last steps. Somehow, I kind of jumped ahead from the last post but oh well!

Done and ready to frame. 5 (1)5 (2)6 (1) I have never liked to put my name on my art. I try to hide it in the bushes but there's none here so I primed a paint pen and wrote it along the edge where it will exist but not show up. 6 (2) Before framing I use painters tape to clean off lint on the black velvet. 6 (3) Since the frame is deeper in the center I decided to use a wire. I'm showing all the little steps I've learned over the years. First use a nail to start the hole. Then to screw in the eyes I use a nail, less stress on fingers. Then I hammer the eyes to the center so they don't stick out further than the frame. The rest is easy to see. 6 (4)6 (5)6 (6)6 (7)6 (8)6 (9)6 (10)8 (1)8 (2)8 (3)

Now all I need is the swap partner and a shipping address. Cheers everyone. Hugs, Wendy

[ Edited by danlovestikis on 2023-07-16 18:41:18 ]

Wow

Joshua Bell- I recognize your style 👍🏼

Will- I recognize your style 👍🏼

Black Water- killer, awesome!

Tiki Ano- Fire place on fire 🔥

Wendy- done! Awesome

Wendy, so cool! Great stuff, everyone!

OK, we have 4 done and 5 other started if I count right. We had a couple people interested that I haven't heard from and one who started but hasn't posted in a while. I will check in with those folks.

danlovestikis and BlackWater those are both awesome! TikiAno, Will carve and Joshua Bell - truckin' along! You got this

Hmmm...; having trouble finding a contact for Mrs Pennjones. And the link for [Dray1218] doesn't go through like it should?

anthonymaye any new progress? Your first picture didn't load :(

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-17 11:17:29 ]

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-17 11:18:30 ]

IMG_8030

Yo Mad Dog, I just noticed something, the swap deadline is very, very, very close to your birthday, are you going to say that you won all the entries and we need to send you all the art swap pieces ???

Ummm... hang10tiki, could you please keep that on the downlow!? I don't need everyone to know my plan!!! LOL

I was able to get ahold of David/Dray1218. He is working on a project but is having trouble with his account. If Leevi doesn't get him fixed up I will post pics for him

hang10tiki I say the same about your carving. I love your count down posts.

BlackWater we are so happy you joined in the swap. Your piece is great.

MadDogMike your piece is over the top!

TikiAno so happy to see you back here and working.

MadDogMike we know your address!!!

If you get a message like this BE VERY SUSPICIOUS!!!!

danlovestikis you swap with hang10tiki, his address is 123 Main St, Imperial CA
hang10tiki you swap with danlovestikis, her address is 123 Main St, Imperial CA
BlackWater you swap with anthonymaye, his address is 123 Main St, Imperial CA
anthonymaye you swap with BlackWater, his address is 123 Main St, Imperial CA
TikiAno you swap with Joshua Bell, his address is 123 Main St, Imperial CA
JoshuaBell you swap with TikiAno, his address is 123 Main St, Imperial CA

LOL

Some good news, anthonymaye has finished his art and will post this evening

I'm in the sand-patch-dry-repeat phase. Very close to done. After that some amber shellac and it'll be good to go.

Exciting to see everyone else's very unique skills being out to use. Cue the heist movie into sequence.

MadDogMike we are very suspicious!

anthonymaye that is good news.

Joshua Bell I see your name I think Green Tiki Bob that is back to its original colors.

Susan loves to tell our guests Green Bob's story! We never got a picture of him with original Bob before he was repainted back to vintage colors. I guess now he's retro?

Mike

Now that was funnnnny

T

Actually I think Mad Dog will be in San Diego, so to make sure he gets all of the Swap pieces, better send over in my care. I will make sure he gets them!

In any case, I finally jigsaw'd the fireplace out (reminder, don't use plywood, I don't know what I was thinking) and drilled out some eye holes.

Took some paint, lit the fire- and oops got my hand burned when flipping the piece over for the next part.

(time out to wash fire off of the hands).

Next, position the led lights, program them to go "red," and it looks like this:

IMG_1595

The led strip will be trimmed, of course, and the final piece will be sent with the remote so you can keep it red or go with whatever color yer feeling.

Next up, sanding and burning edges, some stain and wire brushing.

[ Edited by TikiAno on 2023-07-18 18:46:41 ]

TikiAno Looking great!

As for the rest of you Tiki Nuts... LOL

I got some progress pics from Dray1218
361923344_1316287129266502_2431259411147935663_n
361974257_760192992516664_6801579855803226619_n

TikiAno I love the lights, so cool. Dray1218 keep on chopping that wood!

My humble submissionDSC02218

[ Edited by Will carve on 2023-07-20 04:41:11 ]

So cool Will, rock on!

More pics from Dray1218

Done!

Dray1218 aka Witco Jr. Well done.

Will carve no need to be humble, awesome piece.

Dray1218 aka Witco Jr. Well done.

Will carve no need to be humble, awesome piece.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 199 replies