Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Jimmy Buffet Has Passed

Pages: 1 14 replies

Love him or hate him or have no opinion. Jimmy won't be doing any more Labor Day Weekend shows and that is sad news.

I hope they line the rim of his casket with salt, and hang a lime on it.

Okay, bad joke, I'm sorry, WAY too soon, I know...

In my defense though, some people say that there's a woman to blame.

It's my own damn fault.

MrBaliHai and AceExplorer you guys are bad! LOL
Jimmy and his fans got a lot of flak here back in the day for not being "Tiki". He definitely wasn't Poly Pop but he had a lot of great songs. Seemed like he loved what he was doing, that's a good thing.

On a side note, cause of death was listed as skin cancer. A good reminder that the sun is not your friend and there is no such thing as a "healthy tan" :(

Maddog, yep, I remember that controversy. I also remember learning the difference between tiki, "Florida tiki," "clown tiki," and Jimmy Buffett's "Island Escapism" as distinct genres.

You're right, the sun is not our friend. I was reminded, by Jimmy's passing, and the cause of his passing, that I have spent a large chunk of my life outdoors at high altitude where I got some killer tans and sunburns to the point that the skin on the top of my ears was truly "crispy" a few times. I'm more careful now, and at my annual physical, I always ask my doc to look at my skin just in case. Lucky nothing has developed (yet) on my ears. If they were to fall off, I would be one step closer to looking like a moai!

Yes, he was debated hotly back in the day when plenty of people showed up at any given one time. It feels like Jimmy got the last word in terms of Tiki Central. Where did everyone go when the Volcano decided to blow?

Didn't care for his music, but by all accounts he was a really nice guy. At least the stories I've heard from people who were his fans and/or ran into him. If true, then it's always a loss to entertainment.

But then again, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, so... For example, I met William Shatner and James Doohan, both with mottled reputations, as a kid, and Shatner was incredibly nice to me, where as Doohan seemed pretty annoyed by my presence and effectively shooed me away (he did give me an autograph, but very much in the "here, take this and go" kind of a way). Many stories have Shatner as a villain (perhaps in part due to the infamous SNL skit).

I'm not a huge celebrity person, but the few I've run into have been pretty nice (Drew Carey at an airport, for example), and most have been SF related.

Perhaps you need to drink both overly positive and overly negative depictions of celebrities with that rim of salt and lime, as Jimmy would have intended?

S

Capture

As per the About Page I've moved this to The Blige.

I disagree with moving this to bilge. Jimmy wasn’t tiki per say, but his impact on many who were about tiki is still note worthy and his death should have been more worthy of discussion than just a notice in bilge. This is why this site is failing to get back its traction. Disappointed for sure.

It isn't just a notice in bilge. It was a post in General Tiki that went against what this site is about and was moved.

This site was down for about three years. If the person who started it, Hanford, chose not to update the rules/about/criteria of this site to appease the current/modern 'take' on Tiki when the site was revived, then that was his choice. Sadly, the site was dying before the crash, when FB really became MUCH more popular.

The site hasn't failed to gain back its traction because a thread that goes against the core principles of the site was moved to somewhere it really belongs. The site is (sadly) dead because those who used to frequent here may not be aware the the site is active again, and/or they've moved to Facebook and feel no need to be active here. (Without checking, i'm not even sure if Sven has posted here since the site was revived).

The site is also dead because the current Tiki 'scene' is really just the Disney, and the "Tiki is whatever you want it to be", crowd, and neither of those have any interest in the history, or 'reason' of why this site exists.

Jimmy Buffet has nothing to do with it.

[ Edited by swizzle on 2023-09-08 06:01:17 ]

While I agree that Jimmy was not tiki, he certainly was someone who was well-known in the tiki world and the post did not espouse him as tiki nor did it suggest he was. It acknowledged his controversial elements in regards to tiki. We posted plenty of other deaths about less well known people who had even less to do with tiki.

When in doubt, double down. And by all means, keep the band playing.

After discovering this post: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12508

I've moved this post to "Beyond Tiki" where it is a better fit than Blige.

Pages: 1 14 replies