Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

User name changed to "Tiki G." ....click here for link to that page....

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

B

Gary, Nice one. First time carving white pine? You are gona love it. Carves Better deeper detail and Finishes like glass if you want. Keep up the good work

Thanks Ben, Yeah first one. Kinda liked it, but do not like having to pay shipping to get them. Do you know of a supplier here in Florida that handles white pine? Yellow pine is plentiful, but yuck.

I'm not going to make the Hukilua this year, but plan on being there next year in full force. Are you going? Look forward to meeting you some day.....

G.

Gary, your tikis are hideous! And I mean that in a very very good way. I'm really impressed with your work.

Is it just me? There's about 20 or 30 blank posts here (same at work and at home computer). Am I missing something? I'm trying to figure out which ones are the white pine.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-08-26 13:27 ]

Aaron thanks. The only white pine is the first one pictured...the rest is palm.

All the blank post come from two things:

1. I deleted MY lengthy post to try and keep the pages to a minimum.

2. Everytime I post a new pic I hit reply to my own message to bring it to the top of the creating tiki forum, so it does not end up so far down nobody can find it. Too bad you cannot delete your own post all together. It would alleviate the blank spaces. Someone needs to talk to Hanford about that I think.

Cool man, thanks....

G.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-08-27 06:31 ]

T

Gary that wall piece is sweet. One of the things that I would like to see more carvers attempt. Can I ask what that piece runs cost wise?
Never mind, found it on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3927465381&rd=1

May the aloha spirit be with you in all that you do.

Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-08-27 10:20 ]

Thanks Tiki-Toa. Yes, I have four different styles of mask that I created to use for different things. Some go on bar fronts, wall hangings, door faces, cabinet doors... etc. Private e-mail me for prices if your really interested. I make a strong effort to not use this forum to sell my work. Others do, but that's them. I just show it. Never have I ever said anything was for sale.

Glad you like it.

Gary

Thanks Gary, and I respect your work and you for how you do your bizness, especially in light of certain occurences in the Collecting forum.

T
T

Great looking. We lost our pool and tiki bar to the last 2 huricanees. Starting over. Ill have to get one of yours when we get ready to rebuild....

Thanks, just private e-mail me if interested. I do not use this forum as a selling tool.

TikiG.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:48 ]

That is a very fine dartboard cabinet you've created. How much?

That is so custom looking I'd be afraid to throw darts at it. Especially after a few stiff mai tais! All this stuff is so good. You've got a real unique style, Tiki-G.

Thanks Jungle and Aaron..... Much appreciated.

G.

I love your work. Maybe if you get a chance could you post pics of a dart board or mask in progress? Just wondering what steps are involved and how long it takes you.
Thanks for the great photos as always

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-19 13:28 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:35 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-19 13:29 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-19 16:43 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-19 13:29 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-10-19 13:46 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-19 16:44 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-10-19 13:45 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:24 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-10-19 16:44 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:26 ]

Crazy Al isn't on your list. He is one of the best too. I dont carve, but I do agree with you.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:26 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-19 13:28 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:27 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:33 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-19 13:27 ]

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 05:33 ]

On 2004-10-15 07:02, tikifreak wrote:
Alrighty then......

Tiki G,

First of all, I like your work! Your style is definitely very unique and goes a long way in advancing the TIKI aesthetic!

Secondly, I respect that there are aspects of an artist's personal technique that may be considered "secret" or "proprietary". You've payed your dues in the development of your ability and style as well as any "trade secrets".

However...If I may quote the Tki Central Forum Index/Creating Tiki forum discription, "Carving, sculpting, molding, building, photographing, fabricating. Tikis, Tiki Bars, and "tropical" decor. Show off your work, ask questions, give and get tips." I don't believe anyone here is out to pirate your style or anyone else's. As a beginner I'm using this forum as directed to learn some basic carving fundamentals, help others when possible, as well as enjoy and support the work done by others in this community.

In respect to the nature of the forum, the cards are in your hands. One is free to submit (within reason) or not submit as he/she sees fit. "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers."

Happy Tiki'ing!-FB

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-19 13:27 ]

Aaron, the "hmmmms" and the "oops" are from when I post a reply to my own post to put it to the top of the creating tiki forum. Means nothing but something to myself.

Yeah your right, I'm done with all this once again....I'm also "over it".

Thanks for all the compliments everyone and the interesting conversation.

Aaron, my web e-mail has been down for two days. I did see that you e-mailed, but I did not have a chance to reply through the [email protected] address, so I will private e-mail you through this forum.

Anyway, here you go........

Sketch out your idea on paper. Draw it on the log. Use your BIG chisels to make your first deep cuts. Graduate to your smaller gouges and chisels. Keep'em sharp. Die grinders with good carbide bits for the detail. Palm clogs the bits and your sand paper unless it is super dry. It took me a while to realize this. Who wants to wait for a log to dry for three months...I don't. I switched to White Pine. It carves better to me and sands better. I could care less if I ever carved another palm log as long as I live. That's my own opinion. Air die grinders with big sanding sleeves for the larger sanding areas. Small mini grinders for the really small detail. Change from lower grit to higher grit sleeves. Stain with a small art/paintbrush to keep the lines from bleeding if you choose. I do not usually worry about it because I put both colors on wet and blend them in like I was blending a watercolor. No solid lines....Torch'em, paint'em...whatever. Polyurethane'em, varnish'em or whatever up with a couple of coats and let'em ride.....Sounds pretty simple to me.

That's how I do it.

Glad you like my tikis Aaron and your interest in my trade. Good luck with your future endeavor.

Keep up the good work everyone else.

Tiki G.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-10-19 06:19 ]

Thanks, Gary.

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-21 21:03 ]

T
O
Octane posted on Sat, Nov 6, 2004 9:17 PM

looks great, i like the bodies, i'm glad you started to add them to your new tikis, keep it up

Much Thanks Octane. Yours are pretty rad in their own right. Looks like you got your groove on......

Tiki G.

Hey freak - your full body tikis are looking great! I totally dig your style, and love the different pieces of furniture you've done. Your house must look pretty cool with all your merchandise in it...

Nice job, and thanks for keeping us posted with your carvings - they're very inspirational!

Wow your work is very inspiring. Is this what you do for a living? Also did you find a florida supplier of white pine?

T

Dragon, No it's just a side thing. "Fun" money. I have worked for the US Postal Service for 15 years as an Artist/Illustrator in our district marketing department.

Thanks for the compliment.

Tiki G.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-03 09:45 ]

R

Once again more amazing work, Thanks for sharing

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies