Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Speaking of TIki music, how'd this happen

Pages: 1 41 replies

I never would've put the 2 together. Can someone explain this.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-13 11:00 ]

This was Kathie Lee Giffords first big break from Regis. She opened a big extravaganza tiki review at Her Majesty's Queen Ann bowling alley on the west side of London.
The Damned was her back-up band.
The show went well until a bowling pin "accidently" struck her on the left side of the face, and the tour was cancelled due to visual reasons.
The Damned "picked up the pices" and went on to record a line of successful CDs. Kathie Lee is now pursuing a career in bowling shoe repair.

Unga,
That story may not be anyway near the truth, but as far as creativity goes...I'll accept your explanation as fact. that is unless someone else can do better. Bong?

I'd like to post something of humor, but I'm in a quiet, reflective mood this week.

(I think someone died, or is dying, or wants to die, or would like to be dead)

The Damned's new drummer lives in San Diego. He & his Girlfriend are slightly tikified.

Well captian sensible did record a version of "happy talk" from "south pacific" (2 weeks at No.1 in the UK charts), so either the band long time tiki-philes or are cashing in on the growing tiki resurgance in britain to make a quick quid or two.

The Tiki/Psychobilly/"Goth" connection doesn't seem like such a mystery to me. Island-themed "B" movies...witch doctors, virgin-gulping volcanoes,etc. The Cramps Psychedelic Jungle (THE quintessential Halloween album in my book) says it all.

Score! The Damned are coooool.

"I said Captain... I said wot!"

T

"Wot you want?"

T

I'm with you PurpleJade - this makes trotal sense to me too. Then again I stuck up for the tiki goth girl who joined a while back then got run outta town by youse scoundrels!

A further goth/tiki/Damned connection is that the new bassist for the Damned is Patricia Morrison who used to be the lady in "Sisters of Mercy", there is a reveiw of the DVD of the concert here..

http://www.unionsquaremusic.co.uk/title.php?ALBUM_ID=402&LABEL_ID=10

I used to know a rebellious outsider Goth who called himself a "Sunshine Goth" because he wore all black apart from a bright Hawaiian shirt, had crimpted Blonde hair not black and he allways could see the positive side of things (i think the outlook was chemically assisted but like a true goth its all about apperance.

I used to think she was so hot. circa 1987

On 2003-10-14 06:59, tikifish wrote:
Then again I stuck up for the tiki goth girl who joined a while back then got run outta town by youse scoundrels!

TikiFish,

I think our light 'ribbing' of new members is only a test of sorts. If they can stand the heat - they gets to stay in the tiki kitchen.

The ones that couldn't wouldn't of lasted a day in trials such as Tiki Oasis!

A

Personally speaking, I have no interest in any sort of TC rite of passage to get the keys to the "tiki kitchen". Others may feel differently, but they certainly aren't speaking for all of TC. Sometimes I wish that fact was more clear to newcomers - just because some TCer may implicitly say "Render unto Caesar" to a newbie, doesn't mean the newbie has to pay any attention to that individual TCer at all. Everyone was once a newbie.

-Randy

I made out at an after-show party with the little short-term keyboardist(I think?) for The Damned in the mid-'80's. Does that count as a tiki/Damned connection?

Yes, I'm sure that's it.

I hereby claim full responsibility for any and all tiki interest on the part of any members of The Damned, all based upon a 20-yrs-ago post-show-snogging incident.

Roman Jug?

Well put, aquarj.

On 2003-10-14 15:20, freddiefreelance wrote:
Roman Jug?

Quoting Dave Vanain from the Final Damnation Video/lp

"Roman has got quite a lovely nose..."

Who woulda thunk it, the damned, and sisters of mercy mentioned on tiki central.

Here I'll crack open the seal of the impending apocalypse further and hope that Fields of the Nephilim / Tones On Tail / And Also The Trees join the tour...

Somebody ran off a goth girl?!? Uncouth scoundrels! Happens again, somebodies goin down!

Tiki Gardener ( married to a goth girl )
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-10-15 01:10 ]

Yeah, well I just hope it was Roman Jug & not, Gods fobid, LU! No, No! Kapu!

A 'goth' that gets their feelings snubbed and runs away is an oxymoron. Besides being pure poser, isn't/wasn't 'goth' supposed to be 'in your face with my weirdness' type BS.

I always thought that crap was lame anyway...

Gee, & I thought it was the OC punks that pulled that "in-your-face-then-run-away" pose... ;})>

I hung out with Roman in both Texas and London, and I think he would've been "willing" (to more than snog), but it was actually a kid named Brynn, I think. I actually can't remember if we ever got around to making out. May have just flirted, come to think of it. But Roman's cousin, their roadie, was smitten. Named Jan ("Yan"), I think? I, however, was not.

In fact I spent the most time with the drummer, listening to his girlfriend's children's music tape. He was very proud of it. It was a tad incongruous, listening to "Mr. Tiddlywinks" or something with a guy named Rat Scabies. Extremely nice fellow, BTW.

Sigh I love The Damned. Have every album.

Yeah, Mr. Millar is an interesting person. Rat could be both the nicest & biggest, most violent bastid of the group, usually overlapping the two.

On 2003-10-15 08:57, Tiki_Bong wrote:
A 'goth' that gets their feelings snubbed and runs away is an oxymoron. Besides being pure poser, isn't/wasn't 'goth' supposed to be 'in your face with my weirdness' type BS.

its spelled poseur.

and pose is the central element to any scene, goth or tiki or california raisins collectors.

as to what goth is, was, and might become, it'd take a day and a half to tell the story. and this isn't the forum for it.

Running people off is bullshit. pure plain and simple.

its like pain pills, just because you can do them, doesn't mean you should.

TG

On 2003-10-15 15:57, TikiGardener wrote:

its spelled poseur.

and pose is the central element to any scene, goth or tiki or california raisins collectors.

as to what goth is, was, and might become, it'd take a day and a half to tell the story. and this isn't the forum for it.

TG

Jeez, since you're the English teacher, why don't you use caps to begin a sentence, and you should really understand the proper use of commas...

The term "poser" is what I meant and what I used; its definition: a person who poses; a "poseur" is an affected or insincere person.

Now, go play your Cure albums will ya!

P.S. Speaking of running people off, how's the Tiki Garden memorial going?

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-15 16:52 ]

On 2003-10-15 16:18, Tiki_Bong wrote:

On 2003-10-15 15:57, TikiGardener wrote:

its spelled poseur.

TG

Jeez, since you're the English teacher, why don't you use caps to begin a sentence, and you should really understand the proper use of commas...

The term "poser" is what I meant and what I used; its definition: a person who poses; a "poseur" is an affected or insincere person.

Now, go play your Cure albums will ya!

P.S. Speaking of running people off, how's the Tiki Garden memorial going?

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-15 16:52 ]

I wouldn't know, having been told I "didn't fucking deserve" to be on the project. Barkin' up the wrong tree on that one.

As to The Cure, not my cup of treacle. More of a Nephilim man myself.

S

Don't forget BauHaus, Sex gang Children, Southern Death Cult, and Christian Death !
I don't know if they do it anymore , but MTV2 used to play all kinds of cool spooky vintage goth videos around halloween time.

On 2003-10-15 19:18, seamus wrote:
Don't forget BauHaus, Sex gang Children, Southern Death Cult, and Christian Death !
I don't know if they do it anymore , but MTV2 used to play all kinds of cool spooky vintage goth videos around halloween time.

Death Cult, Cult, Love and Rockets, Mission UK, Heck that Batcave comp was the one that pretty much started it all. Well the club did, not sure of the release date on the lp, great comp.

The oddest thing I saw in that regard, and my introduction into goth was an article in Penthouse covering the Batcave club. Yes people do read the articles.

Best show ever (sorry Damned) was the Bauhaus reunion a coupla years ago.

Tiki Gardener
goth-adelic-mod-garage-island-denizen
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

S

I don't know, 45 Grave at Fenders Ballroom was pretty damn cool. Saw alot of good bands at that place including Sisters of Mercy.
....I had alot of goth friends.... really.

On 2003-10-15 20:47, seamus wrote:
I don't know, 45 Grave at Fenders Ballroom was pretty damn cool. Saw alot of good bands at that place including Sisters of Mercy.
....I had alot of goth friends.... really.

Man!!! 45 Grave, Dinah Cancer was pretty hot. Forgot about them, TSOL before they went hair band.

TG

T

...TSOL before they went hair band.

TG

...and way before the lead singer ran for Gov of California.
I was really into industrial back in the day so 1/2 the bands crossed into the Goth area. One of my favorite shows was Skinny Puppy, Halloween 1988. Opening act was NIN, no one knew who they were and they didn't get the warmest reception considering they were a little too "dancey" at the time. @ one time wasn't Depeche Mode borderline Goth?

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-16 04:39 ]

T

You all should go back and look at my pic in the embarassing photo thread just for fun...

Yes, I still have my cape in my closet.

Even better, my mom made it for me!!!

About 4 months ago, I got an email from the Damned's drummer's girlfriend, a neo-burlesque dancer from San Diego, who also dances on stage with the Damned. She told me that all of the guys in the band, but especially she and her boyfriend, were big into Tiki and even had a copy of TRT on their tour bus.

This, of course, made my week, since I was a big fan of this band in my wasted youth.

She set me up with passes to the show - I was quite surprised to find that they still sound good after all these years (last time I saw them was in the 80s).

The drummer isn't Rat anymore, it's a new younger guy.

Remember the Young Ones episode with the Damned singing "Nasty" - good stuff! Also: best Dmaned song ever (as opposed to best damned song ever) is one they didn't even write: "Alone Again Or...".

Oh yeah, and New Rose. And Neat Neat Neat. And Nasty. And Generals. And...

Way cool, tikibars! How nice is that, when your heroes tell you that YOU're their hero! (OK, maybe not "Hero", but you get the idea)

(And it IS a good manual to have on your tour bus! Wish it had been around in my touring day!)

On 2003-10-16 10:53, tikibars wrote:
About 4 months ago, I got an email from the Damned's drummer's girlfriend, a neo-burlesque dancer from San Diego, who also dances on stage with the Damned. She told me that all of the guys in the band, but especially she and her boyfriend, were big into Tiki and even had a copy of TRT on their tour bus.

This, of course, made my week, since I was a big fan of this band in my wasted youth.

She set me up with passes to the show - I was quite surprised to find that they still sound good after all these years (last time I saw them was in the 80s).

The drummer isn't Rat anymore, it's a new younger guy.

Remember the Young Ones episode with the Damned singing "Nasty" - good stuff! Also: best Dmaned song ever (as opposed to best damned song ever) is one they didn't even write: "Alone Again Or...".

Oh yeah, and New Rose. And Neat Neat Neat. And Nasty. And Generals. And...

The new drummer's name is Pinch. He slagged Rat pretty bad on FM949 in San Diego, saying that Rat's arms had fallen off due to "Saturday Night Palsey" during a 3 day bender, among other things.

Ya know, now that Rat's quit the band that means that every single member's quit at 1 time or another.

On 2003-10-16 04:38, Turbogod wrote:

...TSOL before they went hair band.

TG

...and way before the lead singer ran for Gov of California.
----edit---
@ one time wasn't Depeche Mode borderline Goth?

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-16 04:39 ]

The lead singer of TSOL ran for governor? I thought that was Jello Biafra of The DK.

Well when Depeche did "Blasphemous Rumours" they certainly swerved hard into gothland.

Aside from that song I always thought of them as more of a dance band. With some fetish dancers in the background maybe.

TG

Rat was very cool when I saw the Damned years ago, but he wouldn't sign the Naz Nomad and the Nightmares 45 I had, claiming that Nick Detroit had died.

On 2003-10-17 00:31, TikiGardener wrote:
The lead singer of TSOL ran for governor? I thought that was Jello Biafra of The DK.

Jello ran for mayor of San Francisco.

Yep, held a spagetti dinner to raise money, had a Metro Whistle-stop tour, and promised to make all the lawyers, bankers, & brokers wear clown suits to work.

H
Hina posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2003 11:51 AM

This was enough to make me delurk.

The Damned definately still have it and I was surprised to see that TSOL can still play as well - now that Jack is the lead singer again. I saw them about a year ago at a dive bar here in town.
It warmed my heart to find out that punk is not dead.

~H
who totally gets the tiki-goth-punk connection

On 2003-10-17 10:25, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2003-10-17 00:31, TikiGardener wrote:

Jello ran for mayor of San Francisco.

Thats it, its all becoming clearer....

Pages: 1 41 replies