Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What's Changed On Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies

Kumbaya, My Lord, Kumbaya!"

"I hope all you HoityToity's are safe from the flames and let's all hope those Santa Ana's die down fast"

It's snowing at the beach!!

oh wait, that's ash!

ashes to ashes dust to....

On 2003-10-25 10:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
"I hope all you HoityToity's are safe from the flames and let's all hope those Santa Ana's die down fast"

It's snowing at the beach!!

oh wait, that's ash!

ashes to ashes dust to....

Our "controlled" burn (in Monterey) yesterday, went out of control and burned down some poor guy's house, along with some other damage. Thanks ,but no thanks.
http://www.audioautographs.com/tiki/burnbaby.wma

E

On 2003-10-24 22:47, Al Malaikah wrote:
Follow the bouncing ball kiddies...
I wonder if Bong is a well paid scientist?

Welcome Al Malaikah!

So...you into Tiki?

:)
em

There was a Bong
A very strange enchanted Bong
They say he wandered very far, very far
Over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day Bong passed my way
And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings
This Bong said to me:

"Live the Aloha Spirit, or I KILL YOU!"

Looking back over this thread I come back to a few things. I think if our biggest bully on this group is Bong we are in very good shape.
I like the term "core Tiki", I think I'm heading that way;-)> I like Humuhumu's comments, I think I'm in Tiki love.
I think that this is a very cool place, unbeatable as far as message boards go and that's not just all the Mai Tai's talking, now back to building my Tiki Kruiser. hiccup.

Bong is a braddah
I have to admit
Glad to know cuz
He's so fulla.....????

I knew befo I met him
he wuz my kinda brah
destined from above
no one debate

If you don't know da' Bong
take da' time to
cuz if you don't meet him now
When gonna you foo?

He's a surf-cat-crazed braddah
tiki gone mad
so get on da' stick bra
and hoist one wit ohana

Jus cut thru da' crap
and get on wit da' show
cuz Bong gonna kick you
wit jus a love tap

Dats dee enda dis poem
so do not despair
cuz dale be mo comin'
wit plenty ta share

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-25 22:37 ]

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-01-07 21:49 ]

I like seeing that there are new members cropping up and I like reading what they have to say. I also like Bong. I haven't noticed a lot of mean-spiritedness, except when the politically-oriented posts appeared in the "Beyond Tiki" section.

I have been in the company of TCers at events where the discussion has strayed onto the topic of interesting flame activity on the board, stuff that I missed. Where was it? In the "Collecting" forum. No wonder I missed it. I don't go there. I figured that I wouldn't be tempted to spend if I stayed away.

I am curious what you all think about this, but is the "Collecting" forum where a lot of this infighting is taking place? "Beyond" had to have some boundaries established in order to maintain civility there, so it has calmed down quite a bit.

Anyway, I agree with Tiki Gardener. I don't notice a difference except that the background at Yahoo was white and here it is green. I loves my Tiki Central.

Yes Jade,
Things have changed and this collar is no longer in fashion.

Also, some of my favorite posters don't post anymore for who knows what reason, but some new ones have taken their places. Glad to see TikiGardner posting again and I've always pretty much agreed with TheJab's take on things. So here's a "me too" for his post on this thread.
Is it Friday yet? I'm thirsty.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-10-28 16:49 ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaaahhh...
that poor friggin' cat.

F

Yeah bong, I miss the party feel from back in the Yahoo days. But back in those days nobody really cared about each others tiki pedigree. Everyone was just so happy to have found an audience to discuss tiki. Anything tiki.

I am a fat ass, lower middle class, preschool teacher.

Am I punk? No.
Am I even cool? No.

I'm sick of worrying if my posts are "cool" enough or deemed useful enough to an elite self-designated few, so I seldom make the effort.

I never did well in cliques back in high school so I don't even want to try here.

hey i remember some of yr posts fondly (you used to have the luaus in yr classroom, right?)! i hope this is a sign of more posts to come!

Yeah, fonduie, aren't (weren't) you a step dancer or something? You wouldn't happen to have anything to add to my Celtic Hapa Haole thread wouldja?

B

Bump

Yes, I know there has been several of these posts started over the years, but this was just the first one I found. Lately I've started to "feel a great disturbance in the force" and thought maybe we could preempt a new thread.

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-01-19 05:26 ]

T

needs more Bong

Everything's better with a What Would Jab Do thong:

the "i miss bong" thing is one thing that hasn't changed

On 2006-01-19 08:00, Johnny Dollar wrote:
the "i miss bong" thing is one thing that hasn't changed

Me Too!!! Don't worry he's still TIKI!!!

Yeah, I miss the ol Bonger too. Somebody tell that guy Chongolio say Aloha. All my info for him is out of date.
As for changes in TC, More people = more friends. So long as your mind is open, your heart in the right place and you have more than a passing interest in tiki culture. I am cool with y'all

Braddah Chonz

WOW! This kind of thread kills me. I was a lurker for many years before I joined TC. Not knowing about TC is part of the reason, And posts like this is the other part. you can feel the divison. Let's take a look at some of these newbies, Bungy, daughter of the great ely hedley! Umeone, daughter of the creator of the kahiki. Hop louies, daughter of stockton islander creator. Who let them in? But they were born into tiki, Grandfathered in if you will. So what about the other newbies? Kaha ki'l or johnny p, how about this tiki beat by marcus thorn guy. They all make and sell tiki! (I love your stuff guys) What "we" need here. Can I say "we"? I'm a member, but have I joined yet? What you guys need is less divison. I've been to many tiki events, but have met very few TC hierachy. I have to get on a plane to get there! Only to be snubed. If you sell anything tiki you need newbies, If you are a hostest that is paid to give an event, If you want to keep buying tiki mag, tiki farm, or food/drinks at a tiki bars.ECT... you need newbies! These days it takes a large customer base to keep anything alive. Bringing more people into TC only helps tiki. I love reading posts from the newbies I listed. It makes me wonder how many lurkers have been scared away by threads like this!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-01-19 11:51 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-07-07 14:09 ]

On 2006-01-19 04:34, badmojo wrote:
Lately I've started to "feel a great disturbance in the force" and thought maybe we could preempt a new thread.

I guess I'm a little slow, but I haven't really noticed/felt that.
Unless, I'm the culprit! :)

Part two.. Bill sapp creator of the kahiki was at a tiki event. no one sat and listen to his stories! His stories would blow you away! But why would you? He dosen't even belong to TC. Did you ever stop to think trader vic was a newbie when he started? I'll bet some old time restaurant guy said."he will be broke in a year" Thank god for vic's fresh new ideas! Thank god for bungys wonderful stories! Don't scare them off. there is another bungy out there. And I for one want to hear what they say! My name is john I was in the restaurant biz for 10.5 years. If you see me at an event(I kind of look like fat elvis) Stop and chat. I don't bite that hard, and we both might learn something. Sorry for going on and on. Can I still get a membership card when they come out?

M

"feel a great disturbance in the force"

These aren't the newbies you're looking for.

"There's no mystical energy field that controls my Tiki!"
Obi Wan midnite

ps Them Sandpeople still give me the heebie-jeebies!

I just wanted to jump in on a topic where I decline to mention that Otto is my neighbor now. Oh damn, I did it again! Why can't I stop mentioning that Otto is my neighbor - DAMN!
Am I so insecure in my own valid Tikiness that I have to keep dropping His Holy Name in hopes it results in a free Mai Tai sometime somewhere? (Hmmm....if so, I'll take it...) Okay, let's try again....so....the topic is what has changed around here...one thing that has changed is that I'm not going to mention Otto is my neighbor again D'OH!...hey man, in general I stay clear of most chat rooms because they give me the creeps, too many faceless stangers peering into your soul, salivating at a chance to give someone they've never met some hostile crap. The only reason I hang here sometimes is because Otto is my neighbor (#!%!!) and I got Tiki comin' out my ears. Plus I feel somewhat comfy since I know most of the posters personally, who have been to the house I share with Otto (F***!).

Anyway, what's Tiki to some is not Tiki to others. Drink and let drink, I say. The more the merrier. Aloha means I Love You. Or maybe it doesn't. Who cares. Let's not get crazy here.

Otto's my neighbor, Otto's my neighbor, Otto's my neighbor, Otto's my neighbor, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bump

Yes, I know there has been several of these posts started over the years, but this was just the first one I found. Lately I've started to "feel a great disturbance in the force" and thought maybe we could preempt a new thread.

Badmojo, your bump seems a bit ambiguous. So what's really bugging you about TC these days? Just curious.

K

On 2006-01-19 11:12, tikiskip wrote:
Part two.. Bill sapp creator of the kahiki was at a tiki event. no one sat and listen to his stories! His stories would blow you away! But why would you? He dosen't even belong to TC.

Yes, we were blessed with a visit from Mr. Sapp and his family at the Hot Rod Hula Hop in 2005. I felt truly lucky to get a chance to chat with him, and the picture Tipsy McStagger took of the Sapp clan and myself was the highlight of my tiki summer. I asked him if when he started all those years ago if he could have imagined a bunch of kids would worship the Kahiki like we do. He said never in a million years.

My two great regrets are that I was so busy with the event that I didn't have the chance to spend more time chatting with him, and that while we tried to let tikiphiles know he was there, we must not have tried hard enough. Perhaps we will be two times lucky and he will come back to see us this year. Should that happen I encourage anyone who makes it out to take the time to speak to him and his family.

John, I agree with you on much of what you have said here.

See you Saturday.

Ahu

Bump

I dont know what the deal is , But when talented artist like Lakesurfer and Monkeyman stop sharing thier amazing art it sucks!!!!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.