Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Pages: 1 39 replies

S

I just came across this Tiki Resort Dig those wahines by the pool!

I guess this kind of fits... Last night, Marian and I noticed Rock Hudson had a copy of Les Baxter's Ports of Pleasure album on his stereo in a scene from "Lover Come Back" with Doris Day, 1961. I think we'll skip the tiki party at that resort...

Maggie's comment was, "Remember when 'Resort for Men' simply meant 'Leave you wives at home'?"

T

[ comment removed. -- Hanford]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-07-24 01:39 ]

T

Actually, I would love to go to a fag tiki resort. At least the people there would be tolerant of others.

In case anyone is confused, that came from Tiki2000, NOT Biotron2000 (Patrick).
We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Where did that come from (tiki2000)? We don't need people like that in this group.

Homophobes seem to have such vivid imaginations regarding the sex lives of those they make such a big show of despising. That always puzzles me.

Trader Woody

W

Woofmutt Holmes took the Nording freehand out of his mouth and tapped the computer screen with the bit. "Hmmm-" he mused aloud, "Quite suspicious that this so called tiki2000 joined Tiki Central the very same day he posted his 'fag' freak out...And is that Watson in the red shorts? He said he was visiting his great aunt."

Folks, I contemplated removing tiki2000's post, but then I thought that, whenever I see a removed post on a website, I always wonder what it was, it always gets me intrigued. So then I thought about keeping it there.

But then I removed it.

I have no problem with censorship as long as it's me doing the censorning.

~Hanford

Go ahead and censor, Hanford -- I don't need to see that sh*t.

After seeing that nasty response I got to wondering if my earlier post could have been construed as mean or intolerant. I hope not, as it certainly wasn't meant that way, just an observation. Indeed, I have a number of good friends who would very much enjoy visiting such a resort. Personally, I was shocked at that outburst, given what a generally accepting bunch we have here.

Feel the love

A

Hanford,
I appreciate the editing you do. Remember when someone tried to sell cell phone minutes once and another gal pitched a porn website. You took care of those clowns. However, I took advantage of the DaVinci TC discount. I read with interest the "Hangover cure". I like when people post on business realating to Tiki. As a "censor" You do a good job. Keep up the good work
Al

And actually, now I think about it -- here am I saying in my lordly (ladyly??) way "go ahead and censor" -- I / we have no right to assume you'll take on those frankly distasteful duties for us. I truly appreciate the fact that you are there and prepared to do it, even though you don't have to. Let's hear it one more time --PROPS TO HANFORD!!!!!

Damn, I missed that Tiki 2000 dirt...
The guys that run/ran the Indianola actually started it as a straight Motel, but were advised to go exclusively gay to survive economically, because of the small "boutique" size of their Motel.
In a form of reverse discrimination, from my life experience, I view gays as supremely creative and talented people. Many of my best friends are gay, and have contributed to the book. Isn't it uncanny that the only Tiki places in Palm Springs that were saved/redone in Tiki style are run by gays?
The only other grouping that consistantly brings forth such creative talent are the Jewish. (My son's godfather is a gay Jewish production designer that won an academy award, so there!)
...not to say that there aren't a couple of straight guys out there that come up with some good ideas, every now and then, maybe...

Hey -
My friends at PariArts throw the best damn Tiki Luau's you've ever been to! I din't get the original response before Hanford took it out - but right on man - you are my hero today! (And I will honk in honor when I drive past the Lamoore Hanford sign as I make my way up to Oakland two weeks form now...)

T

tikifish wrote:
"Actually, I would love to go to a fag tiki resort. At least the people there would be tolerant of others."

I wish it were so! In 1999 I heard about this place and they advertised themselves as "gay friendly". That's fine with me so I called and booked a room for me and my girlfriend. I just booked a room for 2 and they didn't ask me who the second person was. On arrival the man at the front desk dropped a jaw when he saw my girlfriend. He nervously stated that it's a resort for gay men and he didn't think my girlfriend would feel comfortable there. Also, he said the other guests might feel uncomfortable with a woman staying there. We could have argued but damned if we wanted to stay there after that welcome. He called around trying to find us a room but they were all much more expensive so we found a room at the Best Western downtown ourselves. I usually try to avoid chain hotels but it was a great location and very comfortable; they even served complementary waffles and omelets at breakfast. I didn't know about the Caliente Tropics at the time but I hear it was in bad shape at the time anyway.

If you are gay and male I would consider staying there but forget it otherwise.

Best Western Rules! They are a unique hotel/motel chain because they don't own the hotels they market. The hotels are often older properties that affiliate as a method of gaining national marketing and advertising. My two favorites in Florida are the Tahitian Resort and the Aku Tiki. I try to stay at their other hotels when I can, so I accumulate points toward free room nights at both of these tiki properties.

T

I stayed at the Aku Tiki in Daytona Beach and enjoyed it very much. But we almost got kicked out because we were skinny dipping in the ocean in front of the motel. We donned our shorts and were headed for the pool when security caught us and exclaimed "The pool is closed!". Good thing we didn't try streaking (that's running around nude, youngsters) from the beach into the pool!

Vintage Girl and I stayed at the 'Terrazzo' Hotel in Palm Spring during the Tiki Weekend (there was no room in the inn.) It normally is an all male, clothing optional resort. We found our hosts to be so gracious and accommodating that we would recommend it to anyone. And it had the best coffee I've ever had in a hotel (at least in the states.)

Plus, if your a single Gal think of the action you can get there!!!!

On 2002-07-24 09:14, Alnshely wrote:
I read with interest the "Hangover cure".

The hangover cure people emailed me privately and asked if I would mind if they posted.

my answer was "post what you'll post and Tiki Central will decide if it's appropriate". I mentioned it sounded fine but it wasn't 100% up to me. it's up to everyone in the club, really.

~Hanford

K

i was hoping that for tiki2000 english was a second language and perhaps he was trying to make some sort of wisecrack that didn't end up sounding right... i'm big on giving people the benefit of the doubt, especially online. I just don't know what he meant until I ask him.

Censor me next, censor me next! Actually, can you censor my dancing at the next event?

Honestly Hanford, I think you should have left tiki 2000's post it (but your the modulator). Let people voice their opinions, then if we don't like it-INTO THE VOLCANO WITH 'EM!

Now can we get back to the drinking?

W

"INTO THE VOLCANO!" that's your solution to everything...And a pretty damned good solution. I have this '83 Ford Futura full of old newspapers and egg cartons in my backyard...Can you come over this weekend and help me push it in?

On 2002-07-25 02:32, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
then if we don't like it-INTO THE VOLCANO WITH 'EM!

What do you think I did with his post?

:drink: :tiki:
~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-07-25 03:02 ]

Like I said Hanford, your the moderator so ultimately it's up to you. Censorship just gives me the willies. Sure it can start with the unpopular ideas but hey, I've been known to stick my foot in my mouth many a times! And I think the board members gave him a pretty good trouncing anyway.

By the way, When I said "Into the Volcano", I meant them personally, not their post!

NOW, CAN WE GET BACK TO THE DRINKING?

Hanford, I just want to say that I whole-heartily support the way you are running Tiki Central. I was not on the yahoo group so I do not know how they compare. But it has been my experience that boards usually degenerate because they get dominated by a few weenies-that has not happened here and I don't think it will. This is the only board I post on because I like the frank discussion with other members. So there!

Just to back up my previous comments I will now post an unpopular idea:

"WE NEED MORE STRIP MALLS"

On 2002-07-25 11:05, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Hanford, I just want to say that I whole-heartily support the way you are running Tiki Central.

Thanks, to everyone who has said that over the years. It really means a lot to me. I'm glad Tiki Central has continued to thrive, and moving it from Yahoo to here has only increased my enjoyment in running and contributing to it.

I just want to point out something:

When a giant (religious) group wants a TV program or song banned because it offends them, the common, popular response to that is "If you don't like it, don't watch it. no one's forcing you to watch it".

This is why I was originally going to leave tiki2000's comment.

But then I looked at it the other way: Joke or not, I didn't want it here. Others didn't either. And although there's no written policy on it, comments like that are not alright here. This place isn't a soapbox for any issue one feels they need to speak up about. There's plenty of places on the web for that.

I want this place run like I would my very own open-to-the-public tiki bar. And at my bar Tiki2000 would have been asked to leave.

Other little things:

  1. With the exception of deleting spam, Tiki2000's post was the only one in the history of Tiki Central (yahoo and here) that I've had to remove. I don't think it's going to be something that is done often.

  2. I didn't ban Tiki2000 or remove him from the board. S/he's still free to post.

  3. Censorship by the Government or by the News Media gives me the willies too. But everywhere else, I don't see it as censorship as much as I see it as editing.

~Hanford

hanford_lemoore wrote:I don't see it as censorship as much as I see it as editing.

It was 'moderating', plain and simple. The comment was as out of place as spam for one of those sinister hidden cameras.

The idea that this forum should be run like a Tiki bar is wonderful. You'd eject pushy salesmen, people with mobile phones going off all the time, plus the odd drunken homophobe! It's not censorship when you tell a drunken gob-shite to piss off and annoy other people elsewhere.

Trader Woody

On 2002-07-24 11:43, thejab wrote:
tikifish wrote:
"Actually, I would love to go to a fag tiki resort. At least the people there would be tolerant of others."

I wish it were so! In 1999 I heard about this place and they advertised themselves as "gay friendly". That's fine with me so I called and booked a room for me and my girlfriend. I just booked a room for 2 and they didn't ask me who the second person was. On arrival the man at the front desk dropped a jaw when he saw my girlfriend. He nervously stated that it's a resort for gay men and he didn't think my girlfriend would feel comfortable there. Also, he said the other guests might feel uncomfortable with a woman staying there. We could have argued but damned if we wanted to stay there after that welcome. He called around trying to find us a room but they were all much more expensive so we found a room at the Best Western downtown ourselves. I usually try to avoid chain hotels but it was a great location and very comfortable; they even served complementary waffles and omelets at breakfast. I didn't know about the Caliente Tropics at the time but I hear it was in bad shape at the time anyway.

If you are gay and male I would consider staying there but forget it otherwise.

CC and I have our artwork at the IndianOla.His tikis and one of my velvets.The original owners were nice enough but I feel they were deceptive about the intentions of the place.Told us it was for everyone,straight and gay,then changed it to gays only(clothing optional no less).Then told us they could only allow gay men because the men would get too upset when they allowed lesbians there.Gays complain when they're discriminated against but what about the other way around?Where's the ACLU for straight tiki lovers?!The same thing happened when we did paintings & tikis for Toucan's Tiki Lounge in Palm Springs.They told us it was for everyone,then on opening night told us it was mainly gay,but they'd take money from straights who wanted to come!Last time I was in there,all there was were men.I guess they have a problem with women too,lesbian or not.The owners are also nice guys,but why can't they be honest?It's disappointing to us because we know not everyone will get to see our work.
Also,BigBro,there are PLENTY of straight guys I know that are very artistic.Most of the tiki carvers for one example.I think it's a stereotype to say that the majority of gays are artistic.I know lots who are just regular Joes too!

[i]On 2002-07-24 10:45, bigbrotiki wrote:

The guys that run/ran the Indianola actually started it as a straight Motel, but were advised to go exclusively gay to survive economically, because of the small "boutique" size of their Motel.

...not to say that there aren't a couple of straight guys out there that come up with some good ideas, every now and then, maybe...

Dear Anne-
Did you read my post, really? I am convinced that the decisions of all mentioned in your post were simply commercially founded, I know the Indianola owners were not DECEPTIVE, just inexperienced. That's why they ended up selling the joint. The new gay population in Palm Springs are simply the best paying customers at the moment, and in these times that spells survival.
And my end remark was clearly a joke, I know there are lotsa straight guys out there that do outstanding work.

Somehow I get the impression you are not a happy camper these days...

Sven,
We were friends with the original owners.They even brought their relatives up to see our place.They told us later they didn't want to tell us they were planning to have it go gay in the first place,because we were straight and feared we wouldn't want our stuff there.CC,his mom and his tiki buddy(We'll call him,'Tiki Mike') went to Toucans and got the,"What the hell are you guys doing here?"look.Not from the bartender or help but from the clientele.CC said,"Geez,I'm here with a guy and my mother and they still know I'm not gay!"
Just because I don't agree with what you say doesn't mean I'm not a happy camper.You should put a happy face:) when you're kidding next time.I had no way of telling with your dry humor.:):):):):)Anne

P.S.Jeff and Jon made a 1/2 million when they sold the place before they moved to Chicago.So I guess they weren't too inexperienced.Aloha,Anne

Gosh darn! When I talked to them they told me that they were SORRY that they had to go all gay in order to survive...
Well ya never can tell, can ya!

And Toucan's is actually not exactly a gemstone in that crown of gay Tiki creativity that I hailed so much, I mean did you see that MURAL!!? Jimmy Buffet here I come.

I really felt at a loss when the owners came up to me at the Tropics 2001 event and excitedly told me that they were going to build a Tiki Bar, and then proceeded to tell me they were going to call it TOUCAN'S.

Oh well, can't win'em all....

The owners asked me at the opening to tell the muralist that I had given them the paintings I did as a gift so I wouldn't hurt the guy's feelings.Toucan's is a bit '80's sounding,but at least they added Tiki Lounge to it.Are we still friends Sven?Aloha,Anne

Anne! Off course!
Tiki Central is the place to agree to disagree. I am very vocal about my convictions, but just because I have written a book (well, "pictured" a book) it does not mean that every written word by me is the last wisdom.
My trick is just to make it SEEM that way!

Hugs and kisses, bigbro

must be the full moon! Now, everyone sing the "Tiki Room" song 3 times real fast, slam a mai tai and get back to Tiki Central!!

I, for one want to see that censored post!

We're all adults here- I suppose

As for the now-manly tiki hotel, I'm glad I found out the easy way- I kinda had that place in the back of my mind thinking it was a themed hotel open to the public.. gays can and do act just as retarded as drunken jocks just in a more fruity way hahahaha

Too much gayness in my tiki kinda wacks it out for me, since it was such a "masculine" thing to begin with- getting uncomfortable that a woman has shown up on the premises seems so un-tiki to me.. God of the Phallus indeed!

On 2002-07-28 23:07, fatuhiva wrote:
I, for one want to see that censored post!

We're all adults here- I suppose

We all fart, too ... but no one wants the smell lingering on forever ... :wink:

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-07-28 23:17 ]

F

You can smell over the internet? :)

Pages: 1 39 replies