Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Indian food?

Pages: 1 25 replies

Anyone? (my favorite).

Yep...but Thai is my favorite, followed closely by Vietnamese and Korean.

ooohh, if i only still lived in london.

if anybody out there's ever in brixton, let me know. i'll direct you to khan's (best indian i ever had).

K
Kim posted on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 1:06 PM

Yeah, Indian food! I love Thai, too, but Indian is my favorite.

Tikitronic went to London a couple of years ago, and because I was tragically unable to tag along, he didn't eat any Indian food while he was there! He just ate sandwiches and things! I hounded him mercilessly when he returned home.

[ Edited by: Kim on 2003-10-29 13:06 ]

TB

The Clay Oven in Irvine, Ca. is damn good Indian food.

On 2003-10-29 13:38, Tiki Bird wrote:
The Clay Oven in Irvine, Ca. is damn good Indian food.

We have one here in Monterey as well. Excellent food. You get your yearly dose of curry in one seating.

M

On 2003-10-29 12:35, Tiki Chris wrote:
ooohh, if i only still lived in london.

if anybody out there's ever in brixton, let me know. i'll direct you to khan's (best indian i ever had).

My favorite indian in London is in Stockwell, just down the road. Hard to pick though- it's all so good. I had an Indian restaurant owner in London once tell me that you can get better Indian food in London than in India, due to the availability of some ingredients which are scarce in India.

On 2003-10-29 15:15, martiki6 wrote:

I had an Indian restaurant owner in London once tell me that you can get better Indian food in London than in India, due to the availability of some ingredients which are scarce in India.

i've had a few indians & folks that have traveled there confirm what your restaurant owner friend told ya.

funny thing, many (if not most) of the "indian" restaurants in london are owned by bangladeshi & pakistani folks.

i heard that the really good curries are up in birmingham (which is the only good thing i ever heard about that place).

lucked out as a kid, my chikdhood freind is indian and i had many a homemade meal at his folks home. the interesting thing is that i have eaten at many indian restruants since, and it is not the same; same style or flavor. he has explained to me that his mother's cooking is a vegetarian kind of "peasant" style. if thats what the lowest on the caste system eat, count me in.
as a side note, his mother had a metal cylindrical tin filled with many different colored spices. as kids, we got the bright idea to work our way around the tin sampling the spices on our fingers. we tried a few, they seemed to get a little hotter each time, but then denny hit this ruddy red powder. his face turned red, he ran to the restroom, where he remained for about twenty minutes. he said the spice was so strong and hot that he had diarhea almost instantly. needless to say, i did not follow suite in that sampling.

love it! cause it full of flavour and vege friendly...

Parus in Hollywood is a favorite - totally romantic garden setting and all vegetarian.

India Sweets and Spices in Canoga Park and Northridge is like turning off the Delhi-Jaipur highway into Indian video and vegie deli heaven.

Ah yes, BK. Indian (and Thai) are my favorites too.

The two places I go to here in SoCal are each about 2 miles from my house, and have very interesting names.

The Indian restaurant is:
"Punjab, Cuisine of India"

The Thai restaurant is:
"Phuket Thai"

I kid you not. I have had excellent meals at each of them.

S

Yes!!!! Ah, a mango lasse........Saag Paneer is my favorite.
(Japanese takes precedence on occasion)

K

The favorite condiment in my kitchen is Patak's Chili Relish - great in & on everything. My family would eat a dead possum if I put Patak's Chili Relish on it.

My family would eat a dead possum if I put Patak's Chili Relish on it.

Do you normally eat them live or something?

We definetly love Indian food. When we lived in New York we would go to the Jackson Dinner in Jackson Heights (Queens). I always had a mango lasse, it was a must. Jackson Heights has a relatively large Indian population. So much so that you could watch a Baliwood film on the big screen.

We definetly miss it - does anyone know of good Indian food in Chicago?

On 2003-10-30 15:24, SallyandJay wrote:
the Jackson Dinner

there ya go! YUMMY!

still, a far cry from london.

I love indian - I got turned onto it by my college girlfriend who was vegitarian. We would go to the local Hare Krsna place, called "Govinda's." It was dirt cheap back then. The propreitor, Chatur, made me some excellent tapes of sitar and shantoor music. Now, if only not for the mind-contol stuff they put in the food... :wink:

P.S. That Govinda's is in St. Louis, but I hear there are others out there. Any of you have Krnsa consciousness?

J-$

There's a Hare Krishna sect in Laguna Beach and the make the best tasting tortilla chips called 'Have A Chip'. They're a bit pricey for a small bag, but are really good.

(so good in fact I shaved my head and annoyed people at LAX)

P

I spent a great deal of time in Durban, South Africa over the course of 3 decades and completely enjoyed the cuisine of the Indian population there, which is significant - I think it's around a million now.

The homes I visited were always awash in those great essences of spice. The people who hosted me always said something like "ooooh, we heeer dat you like dee curdy vedy vedy hot!"

They tried to kill me but it only made me stronger.

Curried Barracuda was a good one.

Tampa has 2 decent places:
Angithi and Shalimar.

Hate the "music" though.
That whiny, stretched-out banjo thing has no joy within it's strings.

Edinburgh's Indian snack producer "Mrs Unis" makes "vegetarian haggis samosas", they are rather nice.

On 2003-10-30 16:32, Tiki_Bong wrote:
There's a Hare Krishna sect in Laguna Beach ...

Bong, have you been by their temple in Laguna Beach for vegetarian lunch? For a small donation, you get a great meal, no menu, whatever their kitchen prepared for the day. Usually curries, rice, and soup.

Damn...I just got back to this one. Not only do I cook Indian quite often (Had some killer Samuchi Loki, Biryani, and Pakoras the other night...we even make our own Naan and Paneer), but me and the wife are so obsessive about it that the first thing we do when visiting a new town is pull out the phone book and see if there are any Indian places to eat. Generally the small family run places are the most authentic.

Speaking of temples, has anyone here ever been to Sri Rangoon in the south of India?

On 2003-10-31 09:27, Basement Kahuna wrote:
...we even make our own Naan ...

is naan hard to make?

btw, there's a great indian restaurant in chattanooga (on brainerd rd). that's not too far from you is it?

F

CHICKEN KORMA

ONION KULCHA

uuuuuuuggggghhh im getting hungry

TM

Onion kulcha...mmmmmm good stuff. But dead possum korma, now that's the ticket...especially with just a dab of Patak's Chili Relish.

Pages: 1 25 replies