Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hawaiian Inn: Who's In?: post here

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

Excuse me for saying this, but screw Stonewood! They opened right next door to Julian's in an obvious attempt to compete with them. Stonewood is just another trendy psuedo-sophisticated uptight restaurant without a clue. Someone far wiser than I once said if you want fine dining, skip the tiki bar. If you want atmosphere, skull-numbing tropical beverages and a license to indulge your primitive erotic fantasies, step inside. Well, they might not have said it exactly that way, but I was stung by a Scorpion at the time.

Aloha from the Sunshine State!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-12-01 14:14 ]

TB

On 2003-12-01 14:14, Kailuageoff wrote:
Excuse me for saying this, but screw Stonewood!

Ditto!!!!!!!!! The best part of Julian's is that they have the same chef and menu since 1969..yes the cusine is seriously dated but that's what makes it so special!!!! But if you have enough of their Mai Tais--it doesn't matter.....
Anyway, back to the itinerary; I getting a bit confused....when are we doing what???
Unfortunately, I cant take a vacation day...my clientele depends on me; so I'm restricted to Saturday and Sunday for out of town jollies.

To answer Bree's question and help tighten the schedule, here's what I'm reading:

Florida tiki gathering at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach, Saturday, Jan. 17th.

Come early to enjoy the ocean, pools (indoor or outdoor) and the poolside tiki bar.

Meet in hotel lobby around 5 pm for happy hour at Julian's before the show. Bree and Tristan as tour guides.

Return to Hawaiian Inn for Teauila's Hawaiian luau and show at 7 pm.

I'm going to ask Wayne and Teauila if they wouldn't mind talking with our group about the history of their show and the Hawaiian Inn after the show. We would probably do that in the bar.

All tiki carvers regardles of style are welcome. :lol:

Let me know if this sounds like an acceptable plan.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-12-05 10:26 ]

I love that idea. I'm glad to see some kind of schedule so everyone knows what is going on.
Everyone needs to make reservations for their rooms as well. Got's mine!

Can't wait.

P

Wellllll....

Since AlnShelley have set the standard for "room bars" and I purloined the name "Lagoon Lounge" and subsequently was granted license to use it...

...I feel it's my duty to uphold their other traditions here on the Atlantic side.

I copped an ocean front suite - and will be setting up bar there for the top-shelf crew.

I know at Caliente Tropics, they have a number and a name for that special room where the elixers are concocted...

...you can call this room:

The East Coast Tiki Revival Room.

Just step over me and Flounder on your way to the punch bowls.

Regarding the schedule - I think that will work just fine. Sounds like a blast to me.

When I find out what room number I'm in I'll post it. I plan on being there about noon on Saturday or whenever they'll let me in.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-12-06 19:43 ]

Pablus

Just step over me and Flounder on your way to the punch bowls.

Why do you keep trying to involve me in your wild drunken shananigans? I'm an upstanding straight laced gentleman of society!

TB

On 2003-12-06 09:59, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Pablus

I'm an upstanding straight laced gentleman of society!

Yeah-h-h.........ri-i-i-ight..............

TB

Let me know if this sounds like an acceptable plan.
KG

Splendid!!!!! You are a superb social director, KG!!!!

OK, maybe not upstanding, straight laced, or even a gentleman for that matter, but I belong to society.

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-09 07:15 ]

Pablus,
Opening your room up sounds cool. I may bring a decoration or two.
KG

If your opening your room, i'll bring some decor as well. Let me know?

P

Just upgraded the room to an oceanfront
suite.

Wahine can sleep.
We can drink.

I'll have my Uke and a CD player for the Hawaiiana music I'll also bring along.

They couldn't give me the room number until I get there - they said. Maybe you could get it written in stone Geoff, so we could post it.

If nothing else, TC'ers can just look for the ground floor room facing the ocean that has the door open and some kind of art or something Tiki in the doorway...

....maybe even the pole-mounted head of the Michigan snowbird who complains about ... "those drunk idiots in their Hawaiian shirts and their voodoo music shit goin' on."

They also mentioned no knoweledge of a 20 person party for the show with "Tiki-Geoff." Bummer. I'll call 'em again after Christmas.

East Coast Tiki Revival!
I'm gonna write a song about that.
Premiering January 17th.

I wish I could surf.
Fatuhiva, you got any boards like 18 feet long?

They take show reservations at the desk and in the showroom. I'll just tell Wayne to hold a big table up front for us, so there's no need to worry.

Alright...so this is an event now and me and the wife should go? January is the single brokest month of my fiscal year....could I pay with hacked wood?

I'm going to see if I can do it...I'll be coming off of a serious rock 'n roll weekend (Guided By Voices and Brian Jonestown Massacre at the 40-Watt) but pending recovery of my stamina and pocketbook I may make it.

P

I believe, O' Kahuna, as a Special TIki Agent - or is that TIki Special Agent - that you should attend to make sure everybody's dress and rum to blood ratio is according to code.

Also - we need a Californian here to help us preach the East Coast Tiki Revival. A covert convert, so to speak.

Brethren, can we get a witness?

The right Rev. Bamboo Ben perhaps?

Pastor K. Geoff will be speaking and deacons Flounder and pablus will be passing the plate... of pupu.

Yes Kahuna should be there, there is no excuse.
I'm herby taking the "rum to blood ratio" burden on to my own shoulders or should I say liver. Actually you would probably have to add blood to my vains to even out the ratio already.
I need a witness!
EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL

T

OK, got my reservation, Oceanside Studio w/King Bed.

Do we need reservations for Julian's...?

P

No reservations for Julian's.
Bre-elle gave me her word that Julian's was a MUST SEE.

It is: Out Of Time.

Which should be a 'gloss' thing - OOT.
The Mai Kai is OOT.
Kinda like a "TiPSY" factor but without the credibility.

Bring the acoustic.
I got your rum covered.

Looks like oral surgery for me. Three adult wisdom teeth. Gotta go get a panoramic x-ray this coming week. Sucks. Like I'll be sucking pain killers and blood for the next month.

*On 2004-01-02 23:31, pablus wrote:*Bring the acoustic.

Are we gonna have us a jam session (and what's the Hawaiian word for "jam session"?)?

On 2003-12-15 10:52, Kailuageoff wrote:
They take show reservations at the desk and in the showroom. I'll just tell Wayne to hold a big table up front for us, so there's no need to worry.

Geoff, did you talk to Wayne about this?
Also should everyone be making reservations for the show now?

Yeah Flounder, everybody better start making reservations for the show asap. I talked with Wayne about all of this around Thanksgiving and he was hip to the whole thing. If you reach the hotel desk, ask to speak with Wayne or Pat in the showroom. They'll know you are with me if you say "TikiGeoff". Due to the holidays and the fact that my convertible got creamed two weeks before Christmas and is still in the body shop, I've been getting around by motorcycle which has kept me away from Daytona. Fortunatley, the car will be out the end of this week and I'll try to take a run out to Daytona and make sure everything is firmed up. Sorry about cold temperatures almost everywhere else in the country right now, but the weather has been unfreakin' believably awesome here the last two weeks.
Hopefully it will be the same for our little luau.

P

The weather states 4 degrees with a violent wind from the northeast and calls for fire and hail.

Nahhhhhh.

It's gonna be beautiful - just like always.
EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL!!!!

OK - I've decided on three punch bowls for the Revival Room.

Beachbum's Own.

Trader Vic's Scorpion.

Pain Killers.

If these will just not do - make sure you log a complaint with Thor Heyerdahl Dot Org and they'll take care of it in 8 to 10 years.

My voice is still not back to normal - so don't expect any Tiny Tim songs.

Has anyone spotted TikiMon?

Please do not bring your Jimmy Buffet CDs. I'm bringing my whole collection.

Has anyone spotted TikiMon?

Please do not bring your Jimmy Buffet CDs. I'm bringing my whole collection.

Yeah, what did happen to TikMon? He was all over TC for a while there.

Pablus, what about all the bootlegs and imports from Japan? Want me to bring them?

Flounder,
Is that a picture of you without your hat?
You look kinda familiar.

Pablus,
Should I bring my mint copy of High Cumberland Jubilee...

, or do you already have that one? I find there's nothing like listening to vintage Buffett and knocking back a few cans of Old Milwaukee before a hula show.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-07 12:51 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-07 12:54 ]

Florida Tiki Tribe,
Just got off the phone with Wayne from the Hawaiian Inn and he told me he has been getting alot of calls for our event on the 17th and he and Teauila are really looking forward to our visit.

He has a table of 20 reserved for us, but please call 386-255-5411 ext. 186 to make a reservation if you want to be sure you will be seated with our group. Wayne said he can increase our reserved seating, if necessary, but would like to know sooner rather than later. Also, if you made a reservation and for some reason are not coming, please be a good member of the Tiki Central Ohana and call to let them know that as well.

Also, please know you can video tape the show if you want to(most other places don't allow that). Also, I'm going to try to figue out some way to do name tags for our group so we'll be able to keep faces straight after we've had a few mugs full. We'll probably put sign up in the lobby telling folks where to go to get an official "aloha".

BK, we're all very sorry you can't make it. Im sure everyone was really looking forward to meeting the East Coast's champion weapons carver/relic hunter/and tiki central poster. Oh well, maybe we'll be able to visit your island at some point. I've been itching to do a Georgia Mountain motorcycle trip when it gets warmer...

Meanwhile, fire up the volcano and shave some ice, 'cause the Florida Tiki Revival is just around the corner.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-08 11:41 ]

S

Should I post to the Hukilau list about this? I have been debating it n my head. I suspect there are plenty of FL area folks who do not know.

Swanky,
Sure. It might also be a reminder for those that made a reservation before Christmas and don't realize this is sneaking up on them. The more the merrier.
KG

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2004 1:07 PM

It's gone out. I just copied some of your words and put them in there.

Swanky, are we going to be seeing you at the Hawaiian Inn?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2004 4:33 PM

I'm afraid not, but I have asked Pablus to imbibe my share for me as well. ; )

From what I hear he could imbibe for us all and still be standing.

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2004 7:30 PM

Hey guys - you're wounding my delicate nature.

I don't drink any more than any mythological Norse diety would on an off day.

Actually - I want to remember the whole day right up until the show is over and I make it back to the beach. Once there I can always pass out in the sand and wake up to the familiar taunts of youth... "Look Mom - that whale needs us to help it back in the water."

sob

EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL!!!

C

The word that springs to mind to describe Pablus' ability to absorb liquor (as I observed it at the Mai-Kai) is "superhuman". The Sidewinder's Fang is about a half-gallon of rum, fruit juice, and (more) rum. The man was working on his second one after sampling just about every other drink on the menu, including some that normal human beings would never even consider ordering ...

In my own brain damaged state today, brought on by a vain attempt to make sense of my employer's total inability to provide me with meaningful work (meaning that Mai-Tai's generally start at noon), I had completely forgotten that Tiki Central consists of multiple forums ... hence my frantic messages to Flounder and Pablus to find out the details on this event.

I'll be up with my wife (Joelle) and my daughter (Christina) who is already asking if she gets to dance. We look forward to meeting everyone - I'm sure it'll be another great time!

Paul is the only man I have of yet been unable to phase under the spell of the KTPR drinks. Paul became my Legionnaire compatriot at that point. Paul is not a tiki enthusiast, Paul is a tiki officer and gentleman.

TB

Ok, could we have an updated list of who's attending this festive convergence?

KG, when I made my reservations for dinner the sweet person on the phone didn't know who or what our group was.....
Do we need to call Wayne as a reminder or are we good to go?

TB

"cybertiki Posted: 2004-01-08 20:16   
I'll be up with my wife (Joelle) and my daughter (Christina) who is already asking if she gets to dance."

Hey, are you the adorable family I saw at the Mai Kai New Year's eve?????

H

Hey, you guys have room for an intruder from the wrong coast?

I just checked air fares & the ol' piggy bank on a whim, and I think I can sqeak by.

I haven't really thought this out yet, but the fares I'm looking at are for flying in to Orlando, is this the way to go? Unless there's an easy shuttle deal from Orlando to Daytona, I'll plan on getting a rental car.

I would be taking the red-eye arriving Saturday morning -- would any of the locals be willing to show me around before the festivities start?

Before I book my reservations at the hotel, are there any chicks who would like to share a room with me?

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 2:10 PM

I would think your title would be "High-Tiki Ambassador."

C

On 2004-01-09 09:58, Tiki Bree wrote:
Hey, are you the adorable family I saw at the Mai Kai New Year's eve?????

Hi Bree, good to see that you remember us!

I think the adorable may apply to Joelle and Christina. Personally, I've been called a LOT of things in my life, and can't recall 'adorable' as one of them! That's OK though, it's been a long time since I rode a horse into a building, and I sorta learned my lesson last time I pulled that stunt at a party, so I'll be on my best behaviour this time around - maybe (or maybe not - I tend to change my mind rapidly once I get in the right company)!

BTW Pablus, I got something special coming in just for you ... remember BK mentioning the antique bottle of absinthe he had? I can't find one that old, but if I get it in time, I'll be bringing along the next best thing. What was it they said? Let the green fairies in ...

H

On 2004-01-09 14:10, pablus wrote:
I would think your title would be "High-Tiki Ambassador."

Nononononono... let's just stick with "humble visitor."

FYI, I called to make show reservations, and the fellow I spoke with knew exactly who Geoff was and all about the get-together, but said I didn't need to make reservations; he didn't take my name. It sounded to me like they are counting on Geoff to keep track of the headcount.

Cyber-I never said my bottle of "La Fee Verte" was old, but it is the real thing, (Deva, 70%) brought back for me by our friend Formikahini from Spain, the only european country that never bothered to outlaw the stuff. When you come up we'll whip out the slotted spoon and the sugar cubes. Paul-wish I could, I really do. I do, however wanna get this shit over with.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2004-01-11 10:08 ]

Ahhh ... I thought you had a 'vintage' experience! What I'm bringing up for Pablus probably isn't as good as the European varieties, and is somewhat experimental in that I can't get honest info out of the distillery that produces it, but we'll see. As far as the European products, I've been working on obtaining a regular supply source, and may have something in the works ... I'll let you know in a week or so!

FOUR DAYS my friends!

Pablus & Cybertiki.

Beachbum's Own.
Trader Vic's Scorpion.
Pain Killers.
Green Fairies
Brownies

You realize it's only one night. Right?

I think we need more.
I'll bring a Crack pipe kicker! LOL

Okay Florida tiki gang... I want everyone to understand I have no idea exactly who is coming to the Hawaiian Inn. I do hope everyone and more who said they will come, does show up. But I'm basically clueless about it and in true beachbum fashion can only take responsibility for myself; and even then not do it very well.

I know Marian and I will be there with a few of our tiki-worshipping friends and like someone once said, wherever two or more are gathered in Martin Denny's name there will be a tiki party. Also, please keep in mind the Hawaiian Inn hosts a luau and show four nights a week and all we need to do is arrive with a credit card.

That said, let's all have a great time, but be sure we get invited back as well. To help out, here's a few tips and things you might want to factor into your thinking.

1. Pablus is setting up a hospitality room with a little help from his friends. If you see smoke coming from under the doorway and hear yelling, that's probably the right room.

2. The pool tiki bar -- with actual tikis on the bar -- usually opens about 10:30 am. The bartender is named Dave. Please be good to him. He looks like a pirate and could be dangerous. He also makes a nice Mai-Tai. Not Trader Vics, but the stuff doesn't set your teeth on edge either.

2)The bar in the showroom opens at 5:00 - 5:30 pm. That's where the full tropical drink menu is served. The main bartender is Frank. He may or may not be Dave's father, but he's meaner than Dave so don't ask him about it. Also, stay out of Frank's way when he's throwing booze bottles and juice containers around. You don't want any broken glass in your volcano bowl. Also, be sure to tell him how much you like the Hawaiian Inn mugs behind the bar and that they should make those again and sell them to guests. Say "Tiki Farm" a few times.

1. Be polite to Tofi and Evalani. They're Wayne's daughters. Enough said about that.

4)Teauila is queen of the Hawaiian Inn and the guys with the fire knives and spears are her palace guard, so be servilely obedient and respectful in her presence.

5)If you are going to Julian's with Bre-elle and Tristan, but plan to enjoy the luau at the Hawaiian Inn -- you need to be back at the hotel no later than 7:00 when dinner is served. The show starts promptly at 8:00.

1. Don't carve your initials into the Witco. Some of it is not in the best of shape. If you fool with the woodwork, you will not be in the best of shape either.

On a sad note, I talked to Beki Coombs a few minutes ago. Unfortunately she and Wayne can't make it. They just got back from a five-day trade show, plus she's afraid Wayne might kill a couple TCers with his bare hands. (Not really, I just thought I would throw that in.)

If this Florida Tiki Revival / Hawaiian Inn thing sounds a little rough and tumble, just remember this particular piece of polynesian paradise is located in the same beach town as bike week, Black college reunion and speed week. I'll leave it to everyone's imagination as to which of these activities presents the greatest risk to visitors.

Aloha and book'em Danno,
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-13 12:48 ]

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-01-14 18:46 ]

My wahine and I will be in attendance. A friend of mine who attended Hukilau and his wife will be coming as well.

So ... not everyone is going to dinner at Julian's ...?

TB

It's my understanding that we're just going to Julian's for a cocktail to enjoy it's retro decor (a must see)......then we'll promptly return to the H.I. for dinner.
It would be nice to actually leave the H.I. at 5 so we have enough time to squeeze it all in...so, could we meet in the lobby at 4.45pm-ish?

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies