Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ren Clark Severed Head...ebay...Get your checkbook

Pages: 1 33 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3250915527&category=29460

Although i know I won't win this, at least I was the first in line to lose the auction.

BigBadTikiDaddy~

Is this your auction?

The picture on the above ebay page seems to be the EXACT picture in the tikiroom.net gallery...

Take a look and compare.

S

Good gawd!

I never thought I see the day!

I don't think I'm down with this one but thanks for alerting us, TG. Very sporting of you.

Aloha,

Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-11-05 21:05 ]

T

I won't win either, but I have my moment in the sun right now....!

:tiki:

Not anymore! :)

dammit Pop! You'd only break it, you know!

S
SES posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2003 10:24 PM

Don't you guys want to know if it's the same one as in the photo before you bid? If it's not BigBadTikiDaddy's why are they using his image? Hmmmm...

F

yes that image thing is VERY sketchy.

it IS the exact same photo.

that being said, how many "will you close the auction and sell this to me now?" emails do you think this dude is getting flooded with right about now..

T

Should I buy it or not? Poly Pop, what's it worth to you?

Here is what I found out. I first sent the following email to the seller:

*Hello!
Can you tell me about the difference in your picture that you show on ebay and the picture on the following website?:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/marked/aes

They seem to be the exact picture. Any further information you can provide will be helpful.

Thank you in advance,
Frank
Huntington Beach, CA*

I then get the following as a response. It is copied EXACTLY as I received it:

*Frank , no difference ,Mine has no defects , I used their photo becasue looked like crap , my camera can not do the close work . My has just a tiny bit less red blood .

Kevin

Americana & Collectibles
Kevin & Laurie Lynn
Manchester MD 21102*

Personally, for the amount that these mugs go for, I would like to see detailed pictures of the actual mug that I would be bidding on.

You may come to your own conclusions on this one.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-11-06 11:34 ]

S

It is funny that he can't make his camera work on a close up, specially since all the other auctions are for small things, and all the pics are detailed close-ups.
hmmmmmmmmmm

F

let me just say this.. a few months back i won an item, was a little slow getting the check out. the seller was emailing me constantly about sending payment.. awright awright already, i send it out.

the tramp cashes it, and never sends the frikkin item. That was like 2 months ago. I email her 1000000 times, suddenly shes nowhere to be found. had to neg feedback her and report her to ebay.

today i got an email from some other dude she did the same thing to.

what would be stopping this guy from posting that pic, getting it up to $600, grabbing the cash and dashing?

i'd want to see visual PROOF he really HAS that mug

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-11-06 15:41 ]

DZ

...and did you notice that the text of his auction is VERBATIM from Mike's comments about the mug in the TikiRoom?? Obviously he doesn't know jack about what he's "selling" either, but seems to be pretty good at ripping off other people's work!

Bidder beware!!

T

I would still ask the seller to send his own pictures so if you happened to be the high bidder you'd have something to compare to. There are no 2 things exactly alike in the world...

If it were me, and I'm bidding or interested in a high ticket item, I want to see original pictures of the item I'm bidding on and not someone elses item. I'd have no problems emailing the seller and asking for "true" pictures. If he doesn't send them or respond, I wouldn't bid.

That's just my philosophy on eBay. If a seller doesn't take the time to answer your question or send pictures, then I don't waste my time bidding. No matter how much I would want the item.

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-11-06 16:51 ]

T

Yep, looks like Buyer Beware big time on this one! Hope it does look as good as BBTD's photo!

T

I do agree the seller needs to post actual photos of the item. But I don't think there is too much risk of a scam from a guy that has 4000+ positive feedback, and only 1 negative.

Simply ask the seller for actual photos, or just don't bid if you think it seems fishy.

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 7:42 PM

On 2003-11-06 13:55, sweetpea wrote:
It is funny that he can't make his camera work on a close up, specially since all the other auctions are for small things, and all the pics are detailed close-ups.
hmmmmmmmmmm

I notice this a LOT in auctions where the seller explains the lack of photo due to trouble with (blah blah blah - any excuse they can think up) but then you see photos for every other item on their list. That sets off my BS red flag. I just won't bid on it. I don't care what the item is. The trust issue is out the window.

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 7:45 PM

On 2003-11-06 16:50, tikichic wrote:
I would still ask the seller to send his own pictures so if you happened to be the high bidder you'd have something to compare to. There are no 2 things exactly alike in the world...

If it were me, and I'm bidding or interested in a high ticket item, I want to see original pictures of the item I'm bidding on and not someone elses item. I'd have no problems emailing the seller and asking for "true" pictures. If he doesn't send them or respond, I wouldn't bid.

If they are out to scam people, then all they would have to do is steal different photos and email those on the potential bidders request. Doesn't guarantee those are the real deal either.

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 7:48 PM

On 2003-11-06 17:50, TikiHula wrote:
Yep, looks like Buyer Beware big time on this one! Hope it does look as good as BBTD's photo!

If I discovered that someone stole an image of mine to misrepresent something in a sale I would make a complaint to ebay.

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 7:53 PM

On 2003-11-06 18:24, Traderpup wrote:
I do agree the seller needs to post actual photos of the item. But I don't think there is too much risk of a scam from a guy that has 4000+ positive feedback, and only 1 negative.

You are unaware of the recent scams of stolen account info and feedback then? People have been hacking into other's accounts, stealing their golden feedback and using it as their own to rip off unsuspecting buyers. Usually they stick to easy money items and insist on being paid by cash/money order/etc.

T

If you are concerned about it being a feedback scam.... just ask ebay about the seller. Ebay does a good job at answering questions and eliminating any scams that are brought to their attention. And they do accept paypal, which in itself has some improved buyer protection policies.

D

I have gotten stung by a seller on ebay who had a good rating. Ebay did nothing to fix the problem, it's been over a year and I have heard nothing from EBay about the fraudulent transaction.

Buyers beware Nya-a-a

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-11-06 22:57 ]

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 10:04 PM

On 2003-11-06 21:08, DawnTiki wrote:
I have gotten stung by a seller on ebay who had a good rating. Ebay did nothing to fix the problem, it's been over a year and I have heard nothing from EBay about the fraudulent transaction.

Me too! I'm dealing with some seller now that outright lied in the description. I emailed to get them to respond and work out the situation and now they respond like I'm threatening THEM. I'm saving ALL correspondence to prove otherwise. I think they are baiting me to react so they can use that against me. I even discovered a similar complaint in his ancient feedback that proves my experience.
I WILL file a fraud case if he doesn't do anything about it soon. It's the principle to me more than the money! I bet that they rip everyone off and just plays the negative feedback retaliation fear to get away with it. Pathetic!

Good tiki God! That thing is hideous!

J

The guy has great feedback, 4201 with 1 negative, he may be ripping off pics and text but he is apparently delivering the goods

M

Auction Interruptus.

It's always better for both parties if the act is completed.

midnite

F

looks like somebody went backstage and snaked this one..

S

I wonder if they took it down because someone made a big offer, or they weren't truthful? It's so hideous looking.....

BUT their feedback was excellent........

D

After seeing what they have sold for on EBay they might not have been getting the bids they were hoping for and just ended the auction early so they wouldn't have to sell it at a lower price. I think the seller can end an auction at anytime, even if there are bids on the item and that voids the whole auction.

My hunch was right. After seeing the photos of the acutal mug that he owns and had up for auction, it has much more paint loss than you would be led to believe looking at BBTD's photo that he "borrowed". The red blood is important and BBTD's is almost all intact- this guy's clearly is not....even the one I own has more red paint left on it!

Case in point- even when a seller has a really high feedback rating....it's still buyer beware when you can't see an actual photo of the item!

mahalo and 135 to everyone!
Mike
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2003-11-12 10:45 ]

After putting in an "up to" of $200.00 I'm glad I did not have to end up spending the money. I dig the mug, but I'd rather have a new mug filled with good rum for the money! I just got to stop placing bids after mixing up some drinks.

Cheers,

KT

One realization I need to come to grips with is that in my lifetime I will never own a Ren Clark Severed Head. Even if I trade in a hundred of my Trader Dicks peanut mugs I still will not have enough. By the way hello everyone again! I have been away for a bit as I turned 40 and almost immediately my eyes went blurry, seems I may need glasses. I had perfect vision until that birthday passed. I have not yet accepted my fate. I can only stay on the computer for a few minutes and I get a headache. I may buy reading glasses. This is even harder to accept than not having a severed head.

Fartsatune,

At 43, I can tell you this - Don't worry, it only gets worse!

I havent been online in months, so i missed this.
I HOPE that wasnt my mug, I havent seen it in a while....
It's SUPPOSED to be in my too-expensive storage unit with all my other crap!

Pages: 1 33 replies