Okay, now for ones that you like!

Here are a couple my mom uses:

"Wilder than a ring-tailed tooter!"

"Tighter than Dick's hatband!"

& my dad was oft heard exclaiming:

"I swan to goodness!"

"What in Tarnation?"

"Well, I'll be John Brown."

An expression that I like to use when intensely needing to vocalize my frustrations but also needing to temper my language for whatever reason:

"Jiminy Crickets!"

Two from the New York area that I love:

"Abso-fuin'-lutely""Defin-fuin'-ately"

More?

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-11-06 08:18 ]

HAR! I say Jiminy Crickets too! On the rare occasion that I do watch my language, that is...
My saintly mom-in-law only says "Foof", or if she's REALLY stressed, "Hail Mary".

My Acadienne grandmother (and my mother) always called your rear end a "pate'" (as in goose liver pate') for some reason.

Having always heard "bum" used as a term for the rear in british parlance, I have wondered if "bum" has the same level of crudity (?) as "butt."

TC

On 2003-11-06 08:49, Johnny Dollar wrote:
Having always heard "bum" used as a term for the rear in british parlance, I have wondered if "bum" has the same level of crudity (?) as "butt."

i got the impression that "bum" is a little less crude than "butt".

My British cousins always get a kick out of "Fanny Pack." You have to know British slang to know why.

TC

On 2003-11-06 09:08, freddiefreelance wrote:
You have to know British slang to know why.

A fanny is (to use another British term) a "front bottom" (another endearing phrase!).

On 2003-11-06 08:57, Tiki Chris wrote:

On 2003-11-06 08:49, Johnny Dollar wrote:

i got the impression that "bum" is a little less crude than "butt".

In Canada we also use "bum" to mean "derriere" and indeed, it's less harsh than "butt", almost a childish word, like "poo".

"You drive like you have an anal fixation." Use in any situation involving a tail-gater. Careful with the road-rage variety though.

My Great-Great Aunt Grace used to say "Jiminy Christmas!" when surprised.

"hornier than a 3-balled tomcat"

-Z

Speaking of British slang, I always wondered what Brits visiting Calgary would think of one of our major roads being named "Shaganappi Trail"

It is to laugh!

[i]On 2003-11-06 10:50, Sweet Daddy Tiki
In Canada we also use "bum" to mean "derriere" and indeed, it's less harsh than "butt", almost a childish word, like "poo".

"Are you looking at my bum? Cheeky monkey..."

D

"You're shmoopy....no you're schmoopy"

Don't know if these are endearing catch phrases but I like:

"Ain't seen the ball since the kickoff" and "hotter than a whore-house on dollar day"

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-11-06 13:27 ]

T

Bum is a milder way of saying butt. Kids at school can say bum, but might get in trouble for saying butt.

Kiss my bum!

I hung out with an English friend in my youth, at Cherokee Day Camp, who would say "bloody", as in "oh what a bloody mess" and "that's a bloody shame". Well, it rubbed off on me and one day I said "oh that's a bloody shame"....and I got grounded.

It was ok, though, to say "damn".

Yeah, I know, I don't get it either.

Anyway, I think my 2 usual quips are a crossover of both endearing and annoying catch phrases:
"Holy Moly" and "just my 2 coconuts worth".

you meddling kids!

speaking of something tasty like brownies: "They're good enough to make you stand up and slap your grandma!"

T

I grew up with my father saying "Good Morning Breakfast Clubber" each morning when we'd arrive at the breakfast table.

Or, when he was upset we heard, "that just frosts my ass". As kids we didn't know what that meant so we'd ask Dad, "why is your ass frosted?"

My Gran'ma used to say "You can talk back to me when you can eat pie off my head!"

Of course I did as soon as I was tall enough.

My best friend in high school used to say, "F*ck me to the wall!"

Some classics:
"F*ck you and the horse you rode in on."
"I don't give a rat's ass."
"Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."

T

How about a little Newfie slang? 'Holy Snarpin' arseholes, ducky!' Or 'Lard Tundering Jaysus!'

I'm a big fan of 'Sweet fancy Moses!' myself.

Coronation street sayings:

"Flaming Nora!"

"Eee, I could murder a cuppa."

E

Hey Tikifish, I had the good fortune to play in a Newfie/Celtic band for a few years. There is a very vbalid reason there's a "Dictionary of Newfoundland English".

My favorite is that they use "Jesus" and "some" as adjectives denoting increase: "It's some Jesus f***in' cold byes!"

:)
em

T

Yes, my best friend is from newfie stock, and she has got me using Jesus as a modifier too. Come to think of it, my Irish friend does that as well.

Here's a few:

Colder that a witches... refrigerator!

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey...

The smell of that (whatever) could knock a buzzard off a shitwagon!

The whole fam damily!

Jesus H. Christ on a cracker!

Don't remember if I mentioned this one, from a braw Edinburgh laddie...
"Yer a bigger bum than ten arses!"

Pages: 1 24 replies