Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does anyone make their own syrups?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I was just wondering if anyone tries to make their own flavoured syrups, for use in cocktails.

Also, which syrups consititute 'the full set', passionfruit syrup, orgeat, grenadine, mango, any more?

Does anyone go in for 'lemongrass syrup', or 'mint syrup'?

Thanks!

Porgy

[ Edited by: Porgy McNasty on 2002-07-27 17:11 ]

I have made my own mint syrup for use in mojitos - makes it a lot easier than all that muddling, and you can control the number of mint leaves you have floating around in your drink. Came out good, but make sure to keep it refrigerated or it'll spoil.

Trader Vic's Rock Candy syrup is the only one I make up
myself as it's so easy to make & rather pointless to buy.

The list of different syrups is probably too long to compile.
In a country like the UK, we can only buy syrups in specialty shops
and there's usually a selection of about 5 at most. In a French supermarket
there's usually a whole section devoted to syrups, with numerous brands
of the popular flavours, as well as a whole host of other weird & wonderful
syrups. I guess they use them for a variety of uses...over ice-cream, as a
drink with a splash of soda, etc, etc. They seem to sell a lot of raspberry,
strawberry, and blackcurrent, but also mint & anise flavours are popular.

I tend to stick with the ones I use the most of - Orgeat/Passionfruit/Grenadine
and try out the odder ones when I find them cheap abroad.

Trader Woody

I make some of my own syrups, it is pretty simple. Here is the way to do it: take a bout a cup of sugar and slowly add small amounts of boiling hot water, stirring all the while, until all sugar has dissolved. then you can flavor it with extracts available at any supermarket (usually in the "spices" section). For Orgeat, use almond extract. For Rock Candy syrup, a little Vanilla. Lemon, Mint, go wild! you are only limited by what extracts you can find.

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2002-07-31 09:02 ]

In the Grog Log it says that Sugar Syrup and Rock Candy Syrup are he same but Trader Vics RCS has vanilla in it.

Anyhow does any one know how much vanilla extract to add to a two pound bag of sugar to match Trader Vics.

On another note, you can make a bit of extra syrup(ratio of 1 sugar to 4 water) and feed it to the hummingbirds!
(replace every 3-4 days and don't forget to cool it first)

A local chocolate shop sells ginger syrup, it's almost the consistency of honey, and comes in the typical honey bear plastic bottle. I can't wait to try it in drinks!!

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-25 14:22 ]

I make my own sugar syrup and falernum. I still don't have a recipe for orgeat, passion fruit syrup, or grenadine so I buy those from Vic's usually.

Actually, I've been buying passion fruit syrup from Aunty Lilikoi lately that's really, really good (www.auntylilikoi.com) and also from Hawaiian Kukui (www.kukuibrand.com). Both are highly recommended.

TB

With syrups i would also sanitize your bottles or jars to help prevent mold & extend life of syrups.

On 2004-05-25 15:18, Tiki Bird wrote:
With syrups i would also sanitize your bottles or jars to help prevent mold & extend life of syrups.

Tiki Bird knows how to do this, but for the non-homebrewers on the board:

"In a large tub, or your kitchen sink, make a mixture of about 2 ounces of unscented bleach per 5 gallons of cold water. After sanitizing rinse thoroughly with plain water to remove all traces of bleach. For all items that will fit in the sink, let them soak in the solution for about 10 minutes and then rinse thorougly."

On 2004-05-25 15:32, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2004-05-25 15:18, Tiki Bird wrote:

Tiki Bird knows how to do this, but for the non-homebrewers on the board:

"In a large tub, or your kitchen sink, make a mixture of about 2 ounces of unscented bleach per 5 gallons of cold water. After sanitizing rinse thoroughly with plain water to remove all traces of bleach. For all items that will fit in the sink, let them soak in the solution for about 10 minutes and then rinse thorougly."

Thanks FFL, you can also boil your bottles, jars, & caps in 180+ deg. water as well.

Tbird

Should the syrup be refrigerated?

this recipe i developed for the drink Hawaiian Ginger Twist, but some folks have used it to cook with as well. also is good over vanilla ice cream.

Spicy Ginger Syrup

you will need: 4 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 4 cups sugar, 5 cups water, a large fine mesh tea strainer, and a metal mixing bowl. mix ingredients into a metal bowl and cover. refrigerate for at least 12 hours. stir mixture. empty the mix into a medium sized pot. bring to a boil on the stove, refrain from stirring. remove lid and continue to cook on high heat for 25 minutes. turn flame off and let cool in pot for 10 minutes. carefully strain into another metal bowl using a large handled tea strainer. let cool for 30 minutes and bottle. store in refrigerator. mix should last for at least 2 months.
Spicy Ginger Candy Balls
after you have made the syrup, remove cooled contents from tea strainer and press out excess liquid. on a plate, roll the mixture into balls the diameter of a dime. pour 1 cup of powdered sugar in a bowl. put 5 balls at a time into the powdered sugar and swirl bowl around until balls are coated well. once all balls are coated, place in another container and sprinkle more powdered sugar over all the balls. cover container and store in the refrigerator for a few hours to harden up the candy. eat alone or serve two with a Hawaiian Ginger Twist.

On 2004-05-26 17:34, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Should the syrup be refrigerated?

I don't refrigerate rock candy syrup or ginger syrup, but you must sanitize your bottles due to the sugars otherwise you will get mold.

Pages: 1 12 replies