Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

War of the Carvers

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

T

82tikis......best bet is to get hooked up with a tree service company. Barter out some tikis with the workers for them to hold the palm logs out for you.

Gotta let'em dry out really good before you start carvin' em'....or else they tend to be very stringy. Like 3-4 months.

Have fun strippin' the bark off. I figured out an easy way to do it, but I learned the hard way to start. You DON'T need a pull or draw knife like some use unless you just like extra physical work. That's way too much work. Why do it the hard way.

Not sure everyone is going to be willing to give up their secrets, but are they really secrets?

Have fun, start slinging and get dusty. Make sure sure your health insurance policy is up to date. Your gonna hurt yourself eventually......if you don't believe me, just ask.

If you can't find any palm logs up there in all that snow (I'm in Florida) I can hook you up with a supply of uncarved 4' logs at a reasonable price.....just let me know. Shipping from me to you would probably be around $40.00 a log......

I'll shut-up for now and let someone else add their two-cents worth now......

T.F.

S

this whole mai tiki thing is really ridiculous especialy because they are all the same , unlike other florida carvers who i would say have many different styles, . It would drive me crazy producing the same thing over and over and over with no real variation . .Oh ya! if all of you snobby tiki enthusiasts who say that every one copies mai tiki ,if you look in the book of tiki on page 244 you will see a photo of leroy schmaltz with a bunch of tiki poles that are very similar to mai tiki but the pic is from the 1960's and mai tiki started around 73 who copies who ? no one copies we all just sometimes need to see others works and try there style to improve and create our own unique style, artists have been studying other artists work since time began . lets not be so critical . if you don't like it don't buy it and keep it to yourself ,especially if your just some kook who has never had a splinter under there finger nail in there life.

[ Edited by: sosavage on 2004-01-08 20:00 ]

[ Edited by: sosavage on 2004-01-08 20:05 ]

S

this is for 82 tikis . why do they have to be palm carvings the hawaiians used koa wood or what ever was or is available!!!!!!!

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2004 6:15 PM

Yeah, Atlanta. There is a 5 screen vintage drive in there. Those at Hukilau 2002 know it. On Labor Day weekend, they have the Drive Invasion. Clouseau played there last year. All day long bands and vendors and bikini car washes and car show. Heavy on the rockabilly. We have been trying to figure out a way to have a tiki day and get the Hukilau bands to play that day. They will also show some appropriate movies at night. That might be a good venue, but it means all those FL guys would have to travel. A way to fund it would be $1 a vote. You carve the best, you get paid the best. And each vote counts as a raffle ticket too, and the end of the day, all carvings are raffled off and each carver keeps the cash. 1 dollar equals 1 vote! Could work. And it's a weekend event, so you'd have a couple of days and a night to work. A very fun weekend event, and planty hot!

B

Well, I'm brand new here,, Just moved to the Treasure coast(Waynes World?) from Ft. Lauderdale FL, and I find this "Battle" to be interesting.
I used to make a living carving in Deerfield Beach Fl about 10 years ago and carved a Lot of Tikis. Actually I learned to carve doing Ugly tikis and as I got better, my Tikis became more realistic and less cartooney. I had seen Waynes work many years ago and was impressed with his consistancy and his marketing(everywhere you look there was "May Tiki"). I never really copied anyones style and was always looking for REAL, Ancient carvings to get ideas from.
I also carved a lot of Pelicans , dolphins and indians.
Anyway, there was always a large market in south Florida for Tropical carvings and Coombs filled a hugh amount of those orders.
I no longer carve so will not be getting into any local "Wars" here.
A sample of my work:
Thanks,
Benzart

Beautiful work!

P

"I no longer carve?"

Too bad - that stuff looks great and reminds me of the tikis that BK and Geoff got from that place in Pompano... pictured in the Book of Tiki.

Post more shots if you've got them - over in Creating Tiki forum.

B

Where in Pompano?
I had my shop at Kraft Nursery there for several years. It was actually in Deerfield Beach, but Right next to Pompano on Powerline Road??

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-09 12:20 ]

D

What talent! I would love to see more pictures your work too!

B

Well, Thanks a Bunch,
I have a ton of photos to scan and upload.I was a stranger to computers and digital cameras back then.
I'll upload more to Shutterfly asap, meanwhile here is what I have done so far.
Thanks again
Benzart

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-03-13 19:04 ]

Benzart, the image on your last post did not come out. Were you the guy who carved all the Tikis at the Las Vegas Tropicana on site in the 80s?

B

Yes, That was me in '89 and '90.
The Trop Landscape Manager saw my work at a Plant show and asked me if I would be able to come to Las Vegas and do some carving for their gardens.
Of course I said yes and I was there a few months later. They sent me home for a 2 week vacation after 4 weeks and I went back in July and left in October.What a Job.
I Loved it there and they treated me like a Star, but I lived thru it. They changed the whole Theme a few years ago and they auctioned off All the tikis. When were you there and did I meet you?
Small World

B

Try this link to shutterfly-my Album
http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b3d459436520

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-09 13:54 ]

I was there in the mid 90s doing Tiki research (Aku Aku, Sahara Don the Beachcomber,) and could not avoid noticing the two HUGE Moais at the corner of the Tropicana. I really liked your work in the gardens and at the front, but since I limited myself strictly to vintage (up to the 70s) Tiki I could not include it in my book.

Wonder who ended up with all those fine hardwood Tikis, how many were there all in all? And did they really BLOW UP those Moais?

B

There were originally about 60 carvings. Some decayed beyond keeping since most were carved from Palm wood. They auctioned the remainder and most went to employees .
The 2 giants out front were just Hollow shells made of wirw mesh and concrete. I did not hear the specifics on how they were demolished.

D

DEMOLISHED :o What a shame. I am just happy you found Tiki Central! Welcome :)

B

Thanks again,
I may try to do some carving on a small scale sometime soon. I'll let you know

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 10:05 PM

On 2004-01-09 13:53, Benzart wrote:
Try this link to shutterfly-my Album
http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b3d459436520

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-09 13:54 ]

Damn you did some awesome carving! Seriously. You have a very unique style as well. I love the dolphin table especially the "through the glass" concept. Outstanding.

An old master emerges! Welcome.

F

See guys- I start a heated thread and then we get a new carver to introduce himself on the forum.. .

Seriously, cool carvings- glad you posted those pics! Got any left around? I'd love to get something from you..

I agree- his style does seem similar to the carvings from that Pompano restaurant- anybody got a pic of those? Maybe the source has been discovered..

On 2004-01-10 01:52, fatuhiva wrote:

I agree- his style does seem similar to the carvings from that Pompano restaurant- anybody got a pic of those? Maybe the source has been discovered..

I would estimate that Benzart was a young pup when those were made (in the late 50s/early 60s ?)

The tikis from the Harris Imperial (Imperial Luau) you'd just have to see up close...they're just amazing. There are two more postcards out there featuring them in addition to the one on page 24 of the BOT, but it is the most detailed view. Every time I get ready to do a carving I go downstairs and stare at the two I have to get inspired and conveniently put back in my "low-man-on-the-carving-totem-pole" place! Kailuageoff also has one. Two of the others escaped to some nameless nobody-nowhere in California (I'd love to track him down and make a good offer on the two of them) and the other one I knew about still resides with Sam Harris's family.

B

Good morning,
You all are too kind.
I'd Like to know the name or location of the Pompano restaurant. I know of a few Tiki Bars I did carvings for in Boca and Delray Bch., but dont remember any in Pompano though that is where I lived for several years.
Thanks again
(btw, I scanned about 50 pix last night and will upload them to shutterfly today)

I have a new hero, by the way, and his name is Ben Davis!

Here is a closeup of the two tikis I own from the Pompano Beach Harris Imperial:

B

Boy, those are Nice.
They are definately from before I started carving though. You are fortunate to have those two. I can't believe I never went to the Harris Imperial, though I remember it.
When I started carving I was about a half mile from the Mai-Kai and so influenced..

Thanks again for Too much honor

B

Good God, Ben...Astounding stuff..I am completely dumbfounded as to how you managed to slip through the tiki cracks for so long without getting massive props and recognition. Ladies and gentlemen, the East Coast has found it's Leroy Schmaltz (and we didn't even realize we had him!). You have got to attend Hukilau this year in Ft. Lauderdale at the Mai Kai/Bahia Mar (familiar territory to you). It's the biggest blast on earth. You'd be a king among men there...

B

Just maybe I will come on down.
Perhaps I can talk to Wayne about getting some logs.
Don't want to start another war, although I doubt I'll be any competition.

Ben, it's a pleasure to have you here. Your work is incredible. I especially love the Moari piece! Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here.

That whole "war of the carvers" event idea was meant just to be a way to get all of us together in one place for a party weekend and to see what we could create. A good way to meet other carvers, share stories and techniques, and just have fun in our element. There was really no "war" (as from a standpoint of angst).

S
SES posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2004 9:05 PM

WOW!
Those are impressive!
The detail on the Tropicana Moari.jpg is incredible.

B

Oh Wow! I can't believe how cool this is! I was just in South Florida, and in addition to another cool Witco Tiki bar I found an amazing 6 foot tall Lono Tiki. I had never seen that style before but was knocked out by the fine craftsmanship. Now I find that a new Tiki Central member is the carver responsible for our new Lono. How cool is that?!

Ben, we love the Lono, and your work is excellent! Do you have any other old Tikis lying around? If not, you should get back to carving– right away. I can personally attest to your skills and I'm sure other TC members would love to have one of your Tikis. Do you happen to remember this piece and what kind of wood was it carved from? Any suggestions for its care? It was in excellent condition when I got it, just a little dry, so I just cleaned off the dust and oiled it. If you are near Wayne at Mai Tiki, you should stop in and visit him. He's a great guy, and I'm sure you two could swap stories, and perhaps inspire one another! I hope I have the chance to make your acquaintance someday, We have family in Florida, so we try and get down at least once a year.

I've said it before, Tiki Central is a great thing!

Aloha!
-Duke

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2004-01-11 13:11 ]

B

Boy, the web has made this such a small world. Thanks for the flattery, I do remember that TIKI. It was carved fromFicus which is a member of the Rubber tree family. It really has a Nice grain and beautiful Spaulting. The finish on that was an Oil based Varnish so the oil you applied helped it.
Go to Home Depot and get a quart of their Urathane Spar Varnish. Sand the tiki lightly with 220 grit paper and apply at least 2 coats and it will be good for another 15 years. You may find a signature and date somewhere on the back.
I have no caarvings for sale having not carved for at least 10 years, however there is (Ihope it's still there)a Plant nursery called O'Donnell Farms in West Deerfield on Lyons Road2 blocks north of Hillsboro Blvd that ended up with 3 of ma last carvings.
He got them from the couple I carved them for.Here are 2 of them... ,

And to BK, I was also having fun with the "War" thing. I'd love to go meet Wayne, but for now I don't drive. Maybe soon.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-11 17:48 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-11 17:58 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-11 18:03 ]

S
SES posted on Sun, Jan 11, 2004 9:31 PM

Full circle! Love it!

Thanks for the varnishing tips I was wondering the best way to fix a few things of my own.

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies