Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The Official NW Territory Event Mailing List!

Pages: 1 2 3 132 replies

adding to the listing?

on the listing now? (:

please add my email:

[email protected]

thanks,

Larry

RD

Yay! I didn't know this list was here. Now I'm in "the know", as the kid's say.

[email protected]

Thanks, Tikimaxton.

Defintely add me to the list. There will most certainly be a Seattle Lounge/Tiki event and crawl next summer here, and I will be one of the organisers.

I'm aware that Seattle and the surrounding area has a lot of lounge and tiki fans whom I do not know and would like to get to know. When I was DJing my lounge nights in public in Seattle in the mid to late 1990s (anybody remember Shaken, Not Stirred at MOE's? My various theme nights at The Backdoor Ultra Lounge?) there was a terrific and large group of local regulars and supporters of lounge and tiki culture. Some of my friends and I also became fairly acquainted with the original line-up of organisers and performers for Vancouver, B.C.'s Blue Lizard nights at The Waldorf Hotel, and we had a good connection going between there and here.

I stopped DJing my Lounge nights sometime in 1998, and as a result nothing but the annoying neo-swing scene was happening in Seattle. Then I moved away for several years in 2000. I've been back just over 2 years now, and while I continue to DJ at and organise private parties round the area, and while there still is a core group of loyal lounge and tiki fans, the scene has dwindled considerably and is in a terrible rut; and this simply has to do with people not knowing the existence of each other, and the fact that nobody is doing much of an ongoing public lounge or tiki night anymore, in a decent venue (of which Seattle has very few) on a decently appropriate night.

In any case, I still throw theme/cocktail parties at my West Seattle home bar, The Shrunken Head Lounge, and my friend's Dan, Russ, and Evan (The Castaway Lounge, The Blue Flamingo, and Zanzibar) at their home bars (2 of which are also in West Seattle). I'm always up for entertaining and hosting and having visitors. If you're a fan of lounge and tiki culture, and you haven't met any of us, let's organise a night when we can meet and greet.

And for the surrounding area and people, please keep me abreast of any events of interest.

Cheers.

H

On 2005-06-27 17:57, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
...nobody is doing much of an ongoing public lounge or tiki night anymore, in a decent venue (of which Seattle has very few) on a decently appropriate night.

I have to heartily disagree here.

• Someone is doing very much -- Selector Lopaka is your man.
  • Ongoing -- Lopaka has been doing a kickass Exotica night every Tuesday at Fu Kun Wu for three years now. (god has it been that long already?)
  • Decent Venue -- Fu Kun Wu is themed as an old Chinese apothocary, and is gorgeous -- no surprise, as the design was done by Craig Graham, whose work previously touched Moe's & the Croc. Fu Kun Wu is one of my favorite bars on this planet, hands-down, with fantastic bartenders & drinks, and is the perfect environment for hearing Exotica/Lounge.
  • Decently Appropriate Night -- Tuesdays are perfect. Exotica is not dance club music, it's music for a sophisticated evening. When I lived in Seattle, I was at Fu Kun Wu every single Tuesday; if it were happening on a weekend night, I wouldn't have been able to make it nearly as often. How's that for appropriate?

I understand your root assertion -- truly, there are not enough venues for this kind of music in Seattle.

Point is -- if you want it, you've already got it. If you're not at Fu Kun Wu on Tuesdays, you're missing out. I know I miss it, and I schedule my Seattle visits around it.

T

Terence -

Glad to read your post here and it was good meeting you in Portland. Nice bongo beating with Lushy!

I would love to visit Seattle next year! Keep us posted on the event you're planning.

And if you know of anyone who wants to have an event at the Waldorf in Vancouver again please talk them into it, and have them announce it here on TC way before the event so we can plan ahead. I know several people who have never seen the Polynesian Room there and would love to visit it.

Bottoms up!

W

This thread should really be its own topic, but in reply to Humuhumu's reply to DJ Terence Gunn...

First, you're both right, it is a floor cleaner and a dessert topping.

Lopaka is great, an example of what a DJ should be, expertly moving from one cut to another, mood to mood. Fu Kun Wu is one of the neatest looking bars in Seattle (I'll hold comment on drink and staff until I visit again), but it seems to be pretty much unknown. Tuesday is a great night if you have nowhere to be Wednesday morning. (I've only managed to make it there once.) Unfortunately most clubs probably will not want to yield their lucrative FRI and SAT nights to a lounge scene. Apparently the clubs also seem to feel the cool kids won't go out before 9 PM. But swell new places have been opening somewhat recently (West 5...Which has a Tiki drink list, The Viceroy) and it seems from the design and focus of these places that the owners/managers are open to trying something, uh, "new".

On 2005-06-27 18:25, thejab wrote:

And if you know of anyone who wants to have an event at the Waldorf in Vancouver again please talk them into it, and have them announce it here on TC way before the event so we can plan ahead. I know several people who have never seen the Polynesian Room there and would love to visit it.

Bottoms up!

I have been nagging Otto for years to do something here!!! I remember a few years ago somone did a New Years event there and they posted the info about 4 days before New Years-not enough time for me to make plans and fly up there!

Sign me up!
[email protected]

Couldn't make the NW Tiki Crawl (this time) but I'd love to catch a future event(s) anywhere in the NW.
The Vancouver natives are getting restless too for a Tiki Night! That fabulous Waldorf is beckoning us to return!!!
Something may happen soon..... :wink:

Terence,
Please keep me on the list for any Seattle area tiki/lounge events. Also, try to swing by Pete's Monkeyskull Voodoo Lounge on International Tiki Day (Sat 8/13) along with any other TC'ers, of course. See the link in my sig for details.

WALDORF! WALDORF! WALDORF!

(Tiki Road Trip pages 226 - 229)

I'm also in west seattle and would enjoy meeting fellow tc members.

Ooh i want on the PNW email list! I'm in Snohomish Wa, quietly collecting for the past 7 years! It'd be nice to hook up with some local tiki hoarders!! Johnny

[email protected]

On 2005-10-20 16:15, Tikijohnny wrote:
Ooh i want on the PNW email list! I'm in Snohomish Wa, quietly collecting for the past 7 years! It'd be nice to hook up with some local tiki hoarders!! Johnny

[email protected]

Done! And Welcome!

D

hey tikijohnny! glad you made it online again! (i met John at an estate sale, hoping to butter up an employee to get the inside scoop on Tiki stuff... doh! i pick the one guy who collects the same stuff!

glad you're here. the folks are fun and friendly!

elicia

E
Eric posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2006 4:35 PM

sign me up please
[email protected]

On 2006-01-27 16:35, Eric wrote:

sign me up please
[email protected]

Done. Welcome to the list! Where are you located?

L
lomita posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2006 5:15 PM

Please sign me up:
[email protected]

Me too please. I have a swanky Tiki-Modern in west Seattle, just a couple of blocks from Mr. and Mrs. Riviera.
Thanks
Dawn Frasier
[email protected]

Keep me posted on the news, please. Looks like I might be relocating to Portland area in the near future and I gotta know what my choices will be. Thanks.

Betty,

I gotta know your email address so I can add you to the list...

On 2006-02-13 19:21, BettyBleu wrote:
Keep me posted on the news, please. Looks like I might be relocating to Portland area in the near future and I gotta know what my choices will be. Thanks.

TB

Please add me to the list:[email protected]
Mahalo!!
Anyone been to the Luau Polynesian Lounge in the Greenlake/Wallingford area(Seattle)? Great food(PuPu Platters, etc..) and some stiff drinks.

Done! Welcome!

You're in!

Please add me to this list! Thanks - [email protected]

Done deal. Welcome to the NW Tiki Event List. Now go buy your NW Tiki Kon tickets at http://www.nwtiki.com

Please add me: [email protected]

You're in! Welcome to the list!

On 2006-05-09 12:13, thehipster wrote:
Please add me: [email protected]

Me too! Me too! [email protected]

[ Edited by: QueenAlani 2006-05-10 14:18 ]

You're in! Welcome to the NW Tiki Event List. Now go buy your NW Tiki Kon tickets at http://www.nwtiki.com

Please add me to the list. Someday maybe my home bar will be on a tour. If you would like to see a picture send me an email.

Bothellbill

L

Please add me to the list.
[email protected]

Mucho mahalo!

Done! And welcome.

Aloha, moving to Oak Harbor, Wash. in July. Tiki Oasis here in San Diego was great, can't wait to see a Seattle Tiki get together, have heard of a Tiki Art show in Aug or Sept, can anyone point me to the ticket booth?
Thanx,
Stiki Tiki
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Stiki Tiki 2006-06-04 12:26 ]

Add me please. I have a "half" address in Portland. I'll be at the NW Crawl!!
[email protected]

[ Edited by: BettyBleu 2006-06-01 01:21 ]

P

Hey TikiMaxton,

I would love to be in on this too! Shawn and I are just across the bridge from you and the Mrs!

phynix13 @ comcast.net

Liza

KH

Please add me as well - [email protected]. I'm still on a rum buzz after the crawl this past weekend, and I don't want it to end.

I've added you both. It was great to meet you during the Crawl, and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

D

a bump for this thread ~ i'm pretty sure there's some new folks i met at Tiki Kon not on this list! ~ please add your email addresses ~

oh and Maxton, your email bounced back.. whats the correct one to use for you?

My new email address is [email protected]. I will change my entry in the mailing list...

blair at nwtiki.com

w00t!

My new email address is [email protected]. Please update my NW events listing.

Great to hear from you, John! Welcome back to the fold!

Pages: 1 2 3 132 replies