Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

DEATH smashed potatoes

Pages: 1 3 replies

Garlic Smashed Potatoes
(This is for about 20 people)
About a pound of potatoes per person
Cause I love leftovers

(The night before)
Take 1 stick of butter, melt it in a medium size sauce pan. When the butter starts to boil, add 20 or 30 cloves of garlic (no such thing as to much garlic) add a sick amount of salt at this point, and pepper to your liking.

Take the butter and garlic, stirring once in a while, to just burning (brown), then add an equal amount of heavy whipping cream, stir until it is also burnt

Now take the potato smasher and pulverize the bejesus out of it

Store in a tupperware until the event in question.

The morning of the event
I wake up and peel the po-tates, if you have white or red taters then peel 70% of the skin off, never leave
Russet (sp) skins I do use all 3 kinds mixed. This time I have 18 pounds.

After peeling, I cube the taters to make them cook more even. Then I put them in the giant pans I am going to boil them in, with some salt in the water already. Put them aside with rubber bands on the tops (for transport only).

About an hour to 1 1/2 hours before the blessed event turn the burners on full, (have a drink now, cause the work is coming)

About ten minutes after boiling, start to check with a fork, when it slides off the fork with ease, turn off and drain (time for you potato facial)

Now take a 16 oz. container of sour cream and split it between the two pots, do the same with another stick of butter. Take THE MIX from last night and split between pots also.

Grab your weapon
If you have a smasher that has sqiggles on it throw it away, now find one that is a flat disc with square holes in it.

NOW, smash like you never smashed before. If your arms don't hurt and your not sweating, smash some more!

After transferring tates to the serving container make a crater in the top and add one pat of butter for looks.

Make sure to tell your guests how low fat it is, or hand out heart pills with dessert.
For sure death add gravy.

Happy whatever the event is day!!!
Baxdog
Aloha

Anyone like potato(e) pancakes. Not the Southern was of just frying leftover mashed potatoes, but the German way of grating potatoes, mixing with beaten eggs and droping onto a hot skillet?

I don't.

mmmmm....butter poached garlic. Sounds good. I need to try that.

My variation to garlic mashed potatoes has always been to roast the garlic.

• cut the top third off the top of a garlic bulb (save the top third for other uses). Use more bulbs than you think is reasonable because roasting it really mellows out the flavor. So for 20 lb of potatoes, even 10 bulbs wouldn't be insane.

• wrap the bulbs into aluminum foil, but before closing off, drizzle with olive oil, sprinks with salt and pepper, and if you wish some dried herbs like thyme or rosemary. Wrap up tightly.

• put in a 375 degree oven at an hour.

• when it is done, let it cool, and remove from aluminum foil. The cloves should be golden brown and mushy. Squeeze or fork bulbs into the potatoes before mashing.

Anybody remember these.
I can't wait.

Happy Thanksgiving my TIKI friends and family.
I love each and every one of you.
Even BONG ?

Pages: 1 3 replies