Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Food Challenge - Themed by Colour

Pages: 1 27 replies

T

I am hosting a dinner party soon, in which my challenge to myself is to create a delicious meal, entirely of one colour. I have chosen purple as my first challenge. The trick is, you cannot use any food colouring, and the food has to be of gourmet quality - I can't get away with serving my guests grape kool aid and pickled beets. Then, the guests will have to take up the challenge, and host a party of their own colour (pink, orange, etc). Also, we may show a movie with the name purple in the title, and listen to music about the theme of purple.

I thought this was just the kind of freaky thing you cats would dig. I have several recipe ideas, but if you have any purple food notions, I'd love to hear them. I also have the added handicap of being vegetarian, so no rare roast beef...

S

Eggplant... (the outside is purple!)
Misssss you!

T

Imiss you too Sweetpea! Mwah Mwah mwah!!!

(shameless girlys stuff inserted here)

Think eggplant... purple cabbage... radicchio... red wine... squid ink pasta... purple basil... plums... blueberries... purple potatoes... purple onions...

If you have access to a filipino bakery, there is an awesome purple cake, made from purple potato starch.... I know, sounds kinda gross, but it is just like a regular yellow cake, but purple!

T

I have heard of these mysterious purple potatoes... apparently they are showing up in specialty food markets lately. Not just the outside is purple, but the inside too! I have also heard of something called Thai purple rice, but no idea if it is really purple or not...

First, may I commend you on your colour choice (spelled in Canadian so you can read it, ha!). Don't know where you'd find it in Toronto, but poi is on the purplish side.
And parfait amour.
I remember seeing squid ink pasta in an Italian import shop here, but I don't know what color it is after it's cooked.
There's a variety of purple string beans, and some kind of dried bean with purple spots, the name of which escapes me.
I know I saw a purpley cheese last year, but I can't remember what that was either.
You can get purple potato chips, too, I've seen several brands.
And my favourite (again in Canadian), which gross most people out, violet candies.
And if you want to colour something naturally, boil up some red onion skins, like Martha Stewart does Easter eggs.

D

poi is purple and vegetarian! not sure how gourmet it is...

steamed taro turns out purplish.

taro chips have a mottled purple tone. try Terra Chips.. mmm tasty!

good luck with the party..i love the concept ~ will suggest it to my friends..

elicia

T

Hey Traderpup, I will check out that purple pastry. There is a filipino bakery near-ish to here, called 'DA BEST PILIPINO BAKERY' so I figure I'll go there, since they are da best and all!

Blue corn tortilla chips as munchies before dinner.

-Z

(Purple eggs & Ham, Sam I am)

Movie& Music: Purple Rain
Food Source: Barney, I doubt he's vegetarian but he really looks like he would taste like poi.

D

POM Pomegrante juice(yummy stuff), Edible purple flowers, plums, mushrooms turn purple when theyr'e cooked, some figs are purple, this sounds fun! Let us know how it turns out :) Your song list could include Purple People Eater, I heard it through the Grapevine, Purple Haze. America the Beautiful lyrics...purple mountain majesties :D Good luck!

Peruvian blue potatos look purple & keep their color if you ice bath'em after boiling.

You can add a little pickled beet juice to food to color it (it's not food coloring, it's adding colored food). I've done this to hardboiled eggs for deviled eggs & it looks...interesting.

Isn't there a kind of egg that looks blue/purple? I'm going to look for it.

I found the blue eggs! Unfortunately only the outside is blue. Araucanas are a South American layer hen & lay blue eggs. You could possibly find their eggs in a Peruvian specialty market.

I also found a recipe for the purple eggs with pickled beet juice.

M

I just made some raspberry and blueberry scones the other day, and when the berries were mashed through the dough and baked, the scones were plenty purple! And tasty!

K

Baskin Robbins sometimes has a delicious grape icecream.

Alfred Hitchcock once hosted a dinner party where all the food was blue. He just sprung it on his guests with no fanfare or explanation. Kind of an odd duck he was.

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:14 ]

T

What's that? What's your favorite purple condement? Why Funky Purple, of course!

Sorry wrong thread!

Purple Pesto Penne Recipe

Purple Potato Salad Recipe

Here's a link for Purple Thai Rice

T

That filipino purple cake is known as 'ube'.... and the traditional cake even has purple frosting...!

http://www.goldilocks-usa.com/us-specialtycakes02.htm

Tikifish, Traderpup is right. That purple cake is known as ube. Ube is actually a purple yam. The cake however, is not made of such but is flavored as such. Actually, there's quite a few things that are ube flavored in a Filipino bakery. Might be cool to put together a desert tray with it all.

Ask for:
Ube Cake
Ube Polvoron
Ube Tarts

You can even buy Ube Ice Cream. Any Filipino market should carry it. The most popular brand is CocoBanana. Get the Ube Macapuno flavor -- Macapuno is coconut. The ice cream is bright purple in color too!

These are all delicious deserts that your guests should enjoy.

At our halloween party, one of our cocktails was a raspberry liquor "martini". It actually turns out lavender.

-Z

M

On 2003-12-03 15:06, PolynesianPop wrote:
Tikifish, Traderpup is right. That purple cake is known as ube. Ube is actually a purple yam. The cake however, is not made of such but is flavored as such. Actually, there's quite a few things that are ube flavored in a Filipino bakery. Might be cool to put together a desert tray with it all.

Ask for:
Ube Cake
Ube Polvoron
Ube Tarts

You can even buy Ube Ice Cream. Any Filipino market should carry it. The most popular brand is CocoBanana. Get the Ube Macapuno flavor -- Macapuno is coconut. The ice cream is bright purple in color too!

These are all delicious deserts that your guests should enjoy.

See lower left hand corner:

See also Jollibee thread elsewhere! :)

On 2003-12-03 15:06, PolynesianPop wrote:
You can even buy Ube Ice Cream. Any Filipino market should carry it.

Mitchell's Ice Cream in the Mission has several Southeast Asian fruit flavors, including ube and durian.

what a fun idea!

i highly recommend serving parfait amour as your drink of the evening. It was originally made in France - is is light purple Curacao flavoured with rose petals, vanilla and almonds and made in France. I served violet colered 'martinis' in martini glasses for one party - it was a hit!

just don't play "the Purple Rose of Cairo" i love woody allen, but that movie is totally depressing. :(

i recall a french exchange student gave our family purple candies that were actually violet blossoms crystallized in sugar. kinda vibed me out.

mon dieu! j$

A fine purple beverage is chicha morada, a Peruvian purple corn punch that's sweet and spiced. Could be good spiked? I've seen powdered mix for it in latin american markets. Yum!

-Weird Unc

S
SES posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 6:46 PM

Parade of pleasurable purple posh party presentations happens when?

T

OK, went and found purple poatoes today... had a bit of a jolt when I got to the cash and realized I had just purchased 30 bucks worth of potatoes, for what amount of reglular potatoes would be about 4 bucks. OOPS! Ah well, it's all about the novelty right?

I am making a terrine of purple potatoes, purple swiss chard and fancy pants cheese... like a layered casserole type thing. It's really good, I've made it with regular potatoes and green chard before, to rave reviews.

Salad will be radicchio and shredded purple cabbage with some sort of blueberry or backberry flavored dressing. Red wine, the most purple-colored that I can find, and then a dessert of ice cream with some warm blackberry compote on top.

Now all I need are some guests, ahah!

UJ

mushrooms turn purple when theyr'e cooked

all the good ones turn purple when picked :wink:

Pages: 1 27 replies