Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Quienes es mas Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

GT

The BCS is nuttier than a Macadamia encrusted Ahi filet.

We should be running that show!

So, I ask you, which is more Tiki?

LSU, OSU, or USC?

First, the esay one to eliminate: OSU.

Not Tiki.

What kinda Tiki name is "Sooners"??

Ya know what ya get if ya drive through Norman, Oklahoma REAL SLOW?

A diploma!

What's the difference between Oklahoma and yogurt?

Yogurt is cultured.

Ya know why OSU grad keep their diplomas on their dashboards?

So they can park in handicapped spaces.

A guy walks into a store in Norman, Oklahoma. He walks up to the clerk and says, "I want a dark red baseball cap with OSU embroidered on the front in white. I want a maroon polo shirt with a white OSU emblem where the little polo guy would usually go. I want a white patent leather belt. I want maroon polyester Sansabelts, and white shiney loafers."

The clerk looks at the guy and replies, "I bet you are an OSU fan!"

The man answers, "Yes! How did you know?"

The clerk says, "Because this is a hardware store."

LSU?

Partly Tiki.

New Orleans.

Open containers allowed in the Quarter.

Beads and boobs, not bad.

The Tigers - tropical theme, good party animal.

Home of the original Hurricane.

USC.

Los Angeles. A vibrant Tiki region.

The Trojans! What an optomistic name! Gotta give them an edge vs. The Tigers.

Makes for great TV announcing: "...and the Trojans have penetrated deep into the opposition's backfiled.....the Trojans really appear to be up for this game....Trojans easily make it into the end zone.....Trojans score again!"

USC is located in a nice, seedy part of town.

They play home games in a stadium with the world's biggest Tiki torch (honestly)!!!

So, for my money, USC is the most Tiki of the BCS teams, and we KNOW what that counts for...

:lol:

(...oh hell, why even bother...)

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-12-08 15:15 ]

T

I never cared for sports/watching TV...

GT

Sorry to hear that, Bong.

I guess it's more of a guy thing.

Keep me posted.

Hey Geeky,

I'm glad to hear that you think USC is the most tiki. I go to the other USC campus, which is also in another bad part of town and fortunately i'm only 15 minutes away from Tiki Ti.

T

On 2003-12-08 16:39, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Sorry to hear that, Bong.

Keep me posted.

Nah, actually watching TV is for losers son. I'd rather DO something instead of sit on my ass. If you're ever near Huntington Beach when a big swell is in (ah, that means waves), I'll take you out on an overhead day and watch you flounder.

Now, get you bag of chips and your remote (if it even ever comes out of your hand)

GT

Geez, so bitchy Bong!

Didn't realize I had offended you by replying to your non-sequitor post about your ever so superior lack of interest in TV.

I don't recall mentioning watching the tube, other than referencing events that have been reported on TV. Perhaps you could smugly state your disdain for radio and the print media as well!

I bow before your infinite self-reported "intellectual" credibility about abstaining from TV, but other than trying to be a wet blanket, it really had nothing to do with the topic. I guess not watching TV compels one to shout the fact from rooftops and keyboards. Try validate-me.com and you might find the right guy for you!

As long as we're here, how about letting us know if you are a vegan or wiccan, too, as those afflictions often coexist in persons who have to stoop so low to brag that they have to mention not watching TV in order to feel good.

I hope I'm not keeping you, there are probably other threads you need time to be a peckerhead on.

E

So tell me Geeky - what is it about you exactly that's "geeky"? You watch football and ridicule a guy that doesn't saying it's because it's "a guy thing", i.e. he's probably a faggot, right?

Hmm, I don't think you're a real geek at all! I think you're an impostor.

Yup, I do,
em.

E

P.S. it is football, right?

em

Who has time for sports when there's work to be done!

On 2003-12-08 16:39, Geeky Tiki wrote:

Keep me posted.

Geeky,
I'm a guy and I'm not into sports either. Actually, the word "sports" is rather taboo around tiki types. Thought you knew that...

In other words, this is the wrong place to talk about sports. You'll need to try another message board for that.

GT

On 2003-12-08 20:00, emspace wrote:
So tell me Geeky - what is it about you exactly that's "geeky"? You watch football and ridicule a guy that doesn't saying it's because it's "a guy thing", i.e. he's probably a faggot, right?

Hmm, I don't think you're a real geek at all! I think you're an impostor.

Yup, I do,
em.

Em, I made a non-main board post about Tiki and football, to which I got a reply that was no more than someone taking a chance to be negative, so I went with the spirit of his reply. I made my derisive comment based on him being an asshole, with no presumption about his sexual habits.

Emspace, methinks you doth protest too much! Feel free to find sexual references where you like, but don't put sexual innuendo where there was merely disdain for someone being a jerk.

TR

Geeky, its A guy thing huh? or maybe its something existential.
so if male doesnt care for sports/watching tv, he's not a "guy" and then if he sez he doesnt like it then he's a peckerhead? I dont follow the logic or reason for your verbal assault.
(And if I want to hear from an "asshole" I'll fart.)
Aloha :drink:

This is getting good!

GT

On 2003-12-08 20:40, PolynesianPop wrote:

Geeky,
I'm a guy and I'm not into sports either. Actually, the word "sports" is rather taboo around tiki types. Thought you knew that...

In other words, this is the wrong place to talk about sports. You'll need to try another message board for that.

Hey Pop, I guess I should have posted this on the "Beyond Tiki" forum, eh?

No sports?!?

Man, that's being too narrow:

Lennox Lewis - dreads, chess playing, British accent - Tiki.

Tony Hawk - effortless execution of moves that would split my spine, then graciously showing others how to try the maneuver - Tiki.

A good tail gate party with mai Tais and grilled meats - Tiki.

Life is a damn sport, most of it ya play, some ya watch happen. Collecting mugs is a sport if done with gusto. Hunting Tiki images is a sport. Many days, the commute to work is a sport and it's a bummer when it ain't. Making a great cocktail is a frigging sport! Bong being disdainful seems like an invitation to sport as well.

Geez, finding a new way of bashing Jimmy Buffet is a sport.

I guess being a topic guardian is a sport for you.

Pop, don't limit yourself.

Heck, I wasn't even talking about who would win games, just joking about the teams that were hanging out in January.

Declaring a conversation about sports taboo? Not Tiki, dude.

GT

On 2003-12-08 21:28, Tiki Rider Five-O wrote:
Geeky, its A guy thing huh? or maybe its something existential.
so if male doesnt care for sports/watching tv, he's not a "guy" and then if he sez he doesnt like it then he's a peckerhead? I dont follow the logic or reason for your verbal assault.
(And if I want to hear from an "asshole" I'll fart.)
Aloha :drink:

Well, since BambooBen is enjoying this, then I will continue, if for no other reason that to let him enjoy watching this sort of sport.

Seems we have a good crowd of people who feel threatened by the word "sports" or "football" here today!

5-Oh, my logic for insulting Bong was my way of returning serve (oops, cover your eyes, a sports analogy!) to Bong.

5-Oh, you'll notice, if you care to read my post, that I said nothing about required TV watching. Nor does not liking sports or TV make one a peckerhead - you missed my point, I was calling a certain person a peckerhead. That is independent of sports talk.

Go look up "existential", then we can banter about that topic.

I also suspect, if you wanted to hear from an asshole, you could forgo the fart and just play back the tape on your message machine..... :wink:

Ah, so, maybe now I see what the "sport" of the day will be.

I miss "Melrose Place".

On 2003-12-08 22:15, RevBambooBen wrote:
I miss "Melrose Place".

Ah, a TV watcher!

Thanks for your support! :lol:

More like big time wrestling (oops, watch out 5-Oh, another "sports" reference!)

It ended just as it was getting warmed up, too.

[ Edited by: Geeky Tiki on 2003-12-08 22:46 ]

On 2003-12-08 21:42, Geeky Tiki wrote:

Declaring a conversation about sports taboo? Not Tiki, dude.

Grow up Geeky. I was pointing out to you that you posted on a topic that some people passionately dislike around here. What kind of reply did you expect?

Grow up, Pop?

I can't believe a topic comparing the LA Coliseum torch to a giant Tiki torch could inflame your passion so!

Yes, I need to grow up so I know better than to harm others by posting a sports topic.

How juvenille it was of me to compare something as serious as Tiki to a sporting topic.

Passionate hatred of sports, eh? So why is it I should grow up when one post joking about (cover your delicate eyes) "football" is enough to send you into a tizzy about the "topic that shall not speak its name"??

I'm picturing you in a clown outfit, cruising Sunset, then bolting out of the car to do battle and screaming, "Mime!!!!"

Sorry, Shakes the Clown reference.

Apologies if clowns scare you as well.

As a secret aside, Pop, are you serious about hatred of sports? I don't mind if ya wanna hate me, but please explain why sports topics make you react so viloently.

Geeky,
Why the immature replies dude? All I said was some people here passionately hate sports. Haven't you figured that out yet?

Look at how long your replies are to my short posts!

OK, short reply: Why do you hate the topic so much?

I never said I hated the topic. I'm taking this conversation to PM.

My apologies for dragging everyone into this argument with GT.

Just as the series was getting good. They cancell the show! Tv, internet, it's all the same!

On 2003-12-08 23:43, RevBambooBen wrote:
Just as the series was getting good. They cancell the show! Tv, internet, it's all the same!

Yup, it seemed like it was headed into performance art territory.

We never even made it to the Joan Crawford / Bette Davis scene.

Rev, just start calling me names and we can pick up from there.

Hey wait a minute. There's a thread here in Beyond Tiki that's about football. I think it's just called "football". And now a word from our sponsers......eep!

T

Geek,

Let me tell you about sports and your 'guy thing'(as well as a concise description of you). 'Guys' most into watching TV/sports are those that don't really have any goals or accomplishments of their own.

Subsequently, they search for 'their own' accomplishments, vicariously through athlete's that DO have goals and HAVE had accomplishments.

They also have no thoughts of their own regarding their viewing of sports, but rather 'parrot' what they hear sports commentators say as they sit on their asses watching their life-giving TV.

No, I'm not a vegan. As a runner and weight lifter, protein consumption via red meat, chicken and fish is essential to building and maitaining muscle mass.

Now, get your bag of chips and find your ever-attached remote control.

I think this year the Michigan MaiTai Mixers with definitely have it over the Philadelphia Pupus.

E

[i]On 2003-12-08 21:42, Geeky Tiki wrote:

Tony Hawk - effortless execution of moves that would split my spine, then graciously showing others how to try the maneuver - Tiki.

Geeky, your definition of "Tiki" is WAY TOO BROAD!!! Dreads? Breitish accent, chess? Skateboarding? Tailgate party? I am gonna cry, man!

Try this: real or faux/kitsch Polynesian culture, esp. as practiced by non-Polynesians. Simple, straight up, no dreadlocks (what would Rastafarians think?), no British accents, no pickup trucks, and NO skateboarding. Just because you like it doesn't make it Tiki. What, "Blade Runner" is Tiki cuz I say so? Playing Quake 3 Arena till I go carpal is Tiki cuz I say so?

Fugeddaboudit!

em.

Wow, Bong, you must be a life reader!

Yup, anybody with any interest in sports must be a TV addled and addicted loser in a tank top t-shirt with chip grease on it!

Bong, there are many interesting things in life. More than your dogged pursuit of establishing credentials as "punker-than-anyone" and "tiki-er than anyone" that you so frequently obsess about.

You are right about parroting what my hypnotic cathode ray box tells me, too! I quoted my first post directly from "Tiki Sports Network" - you got me. They don't talk regular sports, just which thing is winning in the Most Tiki category.

I'll leave off on the goals comment, as you are just being your usual I-am-superior self.
I bet our goals are very similar. Raise good kids, have a career that is not onerous and is stimulating, and find as many things of interest as we can to do and learn about. I can't and won't blow up my TV, I love the Simpsons too much to do that to myself. From your disdain for anything that requires sitting still, I will admit to being an avid reader, as well. If I'm sitting still, I gotta be reading something.

Free your mind, Bong. Throw off the hatred of things that, since alot of people seem to be interested, must therefore be crap. Sports are a self contained story. Nice, concise beginning and end, they have numbers involved (I like numbers), they are a social movement that let's people from different areas have friendly banter about. They ones that I strive to always get better at catch my interest most. This thread had been about football locations rather than outcomes, by the way. I am the world's shortest power forward. Probably the shortest guard, too, but my brain says play the wing and hit the boards. So, I have a love for basketball. I enjoy watching professionals play sometimes. I am in awe that they can do the things they do. I try to learn how they do some off those things when I watch. I love cycling, too. I am interested in just how fast Lance Armstrong (famous cyclist, Bong) can go. Seeing some of the Tour De France on the tube is fascinating. Not three hours fascinating, but even taking 20 minutes to see how they move and pass and corner is killer to an amateur like me. Maybe sometimes you sit and watch surfers who are great. Strike that, knowing you, you call them crap and insincere and point out how you are the only true owner of surf spirit. Try looking at what others do that you enjoy doing, it can be fun.

Your point about turning watching into a lifestyle is well made, but too universally applied. I watch the news when I can. Doesn't mean I'm addicted to news and only parrot what the anchors say, it means the world and the people interest me because I realize my opinions may not be the ONLY ones that are valid. There is a lesson there, Mr. Bong.

Now, back to the topic at hand....

I heard a good LSU joke.

What is the difference between the LSU Tigers and the New Orleans Saints?

The LSU Tigers will be playing football in the Super Dome in January.

Ok, got a few more from a friend from Nebraska. he likes self depricating football humor:

Q: What does the "N" on the Nebraska football players' helmets stand for?

A: "Nowledge!"

Q: What do you do if you find a Nebraska grad on your porch?

A: Pay him for the pizza!

On 2003-12-09 10:26, emspace wrote:

[i]On 2003-12-08 21:42, Geeky Tiki wrote:

Geeky, your definition of "Tiki" is WAY TOO BROAD!!! Dreads? Breitish accent, chess? Skateboarding? Tailgate party? I am gonna cry, man!

Try this: real or faux/kitsch Polynesian culture, esp. as practiced by non-Polynesians. Simple, straight up, no dreadlocks (what would Rastafarians think?), no British accents, no pickup trucks, and NO skateboarding. Just because you like it doesn't make it Tiki. What, "Blade Runner" is Tiki cuz I say so? Playing Quake 3 Arena till I go carpal is Tiki cuz I say so?

Fugeddaboudit!

em.

Em, Tiki for me is more than kitsch object accumulation.

Tiki is sort of an anachronistic relationship to its time period.

You know, vibrant jungle scenes with primitive lodgings pictured with a jet flying overhead......the sounds of an exotica album played on a CD in my home....primitive floral images melded with synthetic fiber to make an aloha shirt.

Tiki is a feeling of time that is both in the present and out of it. A different synch, so to speak.

So, a chess playing heavyweight boxer or a world class athlete who takes the time to teach others the beauty of what he does on a board is Tiki to me.

Your playing first person shooter games until you are sore is actually quite in synch with the times and current character of society. I would not call that Tiki.

Watching Blade Runner on an old "Space Age" black and white tube TV while sipping Rum drinks could be very Tiki! Especially if you wheeled that TV outside on a warm night and watched in a lounge chair!

Hope that made sense, Em.

M
  • So, I ask you, which is more Tiki?

LSU, OSU, or USC? *

I am too biased having gone to USC once, and then gone back again for more high tuition bills. The BCS is the rule, even if it is stupid, so looks like co-NCAA Champs is a possibility. Still, never really thought of one university being "Tiki", not sure if that is applicable. Although, it's gots to be USC!

I like sports, I like Tiki, but I am wondering about Tiki Central any more. That makes me sad.

midnite USC Class of '87, '90

Wow and I thought for something to be "Tiki", there had to be an actual tiki involved, silly me.

Geekynottiki, Bong IS superior, he is a long-standing member of this board and its previous incarnations, commendable collector of tiki and Hawaiiana, not to mention great guy, and he deserves some respect from someone with so relatively few posts.

And your comment about New Orleans "beads and boobs" is all too telling about your intellectual level.

And I believe using the term "peckerhead" as you did violates Hanford's request that we refrain from name-calling.

Yep, I agree, Midnite. I wonder about it too, and it makes me sad.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-12-09 11:06 ]

T

On 2003-12-09 09:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Geek,

....'Guys' most into watching TV/sports are those that don't really have any goals or accomplishments of their own.

Subsequently, they search for 'their own' accomplishments, vicariously through athlete's that DO have goals and HAVE had accomplishments.

They also have no thoughts of their own regarding their viewing of sports, but rather 'parrot' what they hear sports commentators say as they sit on their asses watching their life-giving TV.

So people that like watching sports are shallow, unambitious, butt-scatching losers? For shame. Bong, I love ya man but this is way outta line. While I don't agree with GT's rants, your reply is just dumb. This comes across less as "what I think" than "this is how it is". Perhaps I'm missing out on the subtle indicator of sarcasm?

I conside myself to be pretty ambitious, artistic, a seeker of knowledge and fun, and a sports viewer. I'm sure there are many people, some even on this board, who are into sports and tiki. They may not ever talk about it here (which they shouldn't, this not being a sports forum), but now I can see why.

You are capable of more compassion than this, Bong, I know it. Prove me right.

Maybe the San Francisco Swizzlers over the Colorado Cocktailers?

(my argument is much more fun than what you guys are arguing about :P :P :P )

E

Leeds over Manchester United, every time. As for Tottenham...pffft!

:)
em.

On 2003-12-09 11:35, Tiki-bot wrote:

On 2003-12-09 09:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Geek,

....'Guys' most into watching TV/sports are those that don't really have any goals or accomplishments of their own.

So people that like watching sports are shallow, unambitious, butt-scatching losers? For shame. Bong, I love ya man but this is way outta line. While I don't agree with GT's rants, your reply is just dumb. This comes across less as "what I think" than "this is how it is". Perhaps I'm missing out on the subtle indicator of sarcasm?

I conside myself to be pretty ambitious, artistic, a seeker of knowledge and fun, and a sports viewer. I'm sure there are many people, some even on this board, who are into sports and tiki. They may not ever talk about it here (which they shouldn't, this not being a sports forum), but now I can see why.

You are capable of more compassion than this, Bong, I know it. Prove me right.

Tiki Bot, Shhhhhhh! I'm just having fun with the Geek. Come on! after 1,700 + posts you all haven't picked up on this yet?

Of course I will have to point you to my first reply to Geek's thread. In it I only stated "I never cared for sports/watching TV". This is my opinion. I never said anything about anyone else, as I don't care what others do.

I just decided to have a little fun with the Geek when he derided my for not liking sports. Get it?

On 2003-12-09 11:04, purple jade wrote:
Wow and I thought for something to be "Tiki", there had to be an actual tiki involved, silly me.

Geekynottiki, Bong IS superior, he is a long-standing member of this board and its previous incarnations, commendable collector of tiki and Hawaiiana, not to mention great guy, and he deserves some respect from someone with so relatively few posts.

And your comment about New Orleans "beads and boobs" is all too telling about your intellectual level.

And I believe using the term "peckerhead" as you did violates Hanford's request that we refrain from name-calling.

Yep, I agree, Midnite. I wonder about it too, and it makes me sad.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-12-09 11:06 ]

Jade.

Jade Jade Jade.

1. Choosing sides in an argument is great, no problem.

2. Using post count to call someone a superior poster is illogical. Not that Bong does, but by your logic, someone who spams more posts per day is not an indicator of Tiki-validity. Post count? You gotta do better.

3. Check out the thread about the Tiki paintings someone offered here. Check the thread about the Trader Vic's menu full of topless wenches and lusty men. Check the thread on the main board about the "topless" Tiki bar in NM. recall the Playboy spread someone posted? How about the pic some guy took of the naked chick with the Tiki?

Tiki is FULL of topless chicks who are topless just for fun or other's viewing pleasure. This site is full of people commenting on these images.

Mentioning that similar behavior takes place in New Orleans should not be such a (gasp!) offense.

1. I had no altercation going with Bong when I started this thread, I wasn't even talking about sports outcomes. I was joking about USC having a 50 foot tall Tiki torch. The only disrespect came when he waltzed and to act in a belittling manner. I don't care if he has "one milllllllllion" posts, I'll shoot back.

2. A collection of Tiki goods makes him the authority on whether or not someone can joke about sports? Please. I had not called on him to act in such a condescending manner, he took it upon himself, and we argued. Are you just full of "Yes, masters" for anyone with more posts than you?

3. There is much that is Tiki that has no actual Tiki involved. Rum, a predominantly Carribean beverage in your liquor stores has no ipso-facto Tiki involved. Is a tropical scene devoid of a Tiki image not Tiki? Tiki is moe than chotchkies.

4. I think you are just being disagreeable because I fought with a buddy. Fine, but some of your criticisms fly in the face of all the Tiki that goes on here.

5. Lastly, I posted this on Beyond Tiki specifically to avoid busying up the main board, Beyond Tiki would imply some leeway, eh?

I'd love answers to this if you like. I also belive I can argue like crazy on one thread and agree completely on another, so I won't mind your rebuttal.

Hanford?

And GT,

I've gotten private messages from people whose opinions I actually respect who thanked me for "getting" the true point of this board, and ALL the forums. I don't give a rat's ass what you think of me or my posts, OR my city, which could well do without the likes of you reducing it to what you have.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-12-09 12:35 ]

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-12-09 12:37 ]

...as the world turns...Hey! Tiki and sports do have a connection. Remember at Mondo Tiki when Tiki Barber was posing for pics??

On 2003-12-09 12:36, RevBambooBen wrote:
...as the world turns...Hey! Tiki and sports do have a connection. Remember at Mondo Tiki when Tiki Barber was posing for pics??

his name always made me think of how great a tiki barbershop would be. did such a thing ever exist? oops, getting off the subject... j$

E

BTW, what's the problem with admitting someone is more Tiki than oneself? Is John McLaughlin a better guitarist than me? Hell yes. Is Bong more Tiki than me? Hell yes - he plays steel in a Hawaiian group, he has been in the scene far longer than me, is a far more dedicated collector and attender of Tiki events than me, is a surfer, etc etc. Bong gets my respect as an aficionado of Tiki every time. Tiki "as attitude" seems to me an awful lot like the guru who got laughed out of the forum - you know, the dolphin wanker.

But maybe it's time to lock this one...

em

there's a Barber shop in San Clemente called "Aloha Barbers".

For what it matters, I also very much respect Purple Jade's manner of telling it like it is. So lay off desert boy.

H

On 2003-12-09 12:40, Johnny Dollar wrote:
his name always made me think of how great a tiki barbershop would be. did such a thing ever exist?

There's one in Seattle, on Roosevelt. A barber with a collection of tikis on display. I haven't been yet, but dogbytes has -- I think she's posted about it here before.

GT

On 2003-12-09 12:35, purple jade wrote:
And GT,

I've gotten private messages from people whose opinions I actually respect who thanked me for "getting" the true point of this board, and ALL the forums. I don't give a rat's ass what you think of me or my posts, OR my city, which could well do without the likes of you reducing it to what you have.

Jade, I have not attacted you personally, you hopefully can tell I am disagreeing with your points that you posted. Not replying is OK, please don't take my points as personal criticism.

Really, I would like the answers to my reply!

GT

On 2003-12-09 12:51, Tiki_Bong wrote:
For what it matters, I also very much respect Purple Jade's manner of telling it like it is. So lay off desert boy.

Lay off? And how did I attack her?

Disagreent is different than animosity.

Bong, point out any personal attack on her.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies