Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

how many Zombies?

Pages: 1 20 replies

exactly how many Zombie recipes are there?

I keep finding Zombie recipes that bear no relation to actual Zombies!

Has the name Zombie become a generic name for a strong rum punch?

George

Doesn't the Trader Vic version of the Zombie have gin in it also?

The problem is that the inventor of the Zombie, Don The Beachcomber, has come up with different versions in his life time. For example, the one Jeff Berry dug up for the new INTOXICA is definitely authentic Don's, but very unlike any others, which always dazzle with multiple rums. Nevertheless, it makes a DELICIOUS cocktail.
Trader Vic amended his Mai Tai recipe over the years several times, as certain old rum vintages ran out.
So I recommend to stick to the originators, and pick your own favourite version.

W

Vic himself wrote "Don the Beachcomber originated the drink and since then there have been as many different formulas as there are for Planter's Punch." He wrote that in 1946 so quite a few more Zombie recipes probably have flowed under the bridge since then.

I have at least 7 different Zombie recipes in various cocktail books and most of them seem to hover around the recipe in Vic's books. One recipe (from "The Gentleman's Companion" by Charles H. Baker Jr) is entirely different than all the others and, according to the author, was originally published in 1935 "...Whereas the high-proof so called Zombie known to most bar men did not raise its dizzy head until two years, or better, later." For curisoty's sake here's that recipe:

1 & a 1/2 cups coconut milk
3 jiggers cognac
2 ponies Maraschino
2 or 3 dashes Angostura

Put in shaker with lots of very finely cracked ice, shake hard and turn ice and all into small, chilled goblets.

Of the Zombie the Brittish drinks writer Michael Jackson writes "'A Joke drink,' says the bartenders of Britain, through their professional guild. No doubt their counterparts elsewhere in the world agree. The object is to get as many different rums as possible into one drink, like students in a telephone box."

Jackson's comments are mild compared to the following by David A. Embury from "The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks" (1952 edition):
"(The Zombie) is undoubtedly the most overadvertised, overemphasized, overexalted, and foolishly feared drink whose claims to glory ever assaulted the eyes and ears of the gullible American public. Actually, as a drink it is not bad at all; but the claims made for it and the advertising by which it has been touted, as well as one feature of the formula, offend my sensibilities in three respects.
First of all, I am allergic to secret formulas for mixing drinks at a bar or in the home. The Zombie formula is supposed to be the jelously guarded secret of Don the Beachcomber, of Hollywood. One of the rum distillers, however, states that they devised the original formula. Charles Baker Jr., states that he invented a quite different formula some two years ahead of Don the Beachcomber. All this mystery, of course, is calculated to inspire curiosity and thus advertise the drink.
Second, I am also allergic to any fear-inspiring slogan such as "Only two to a customer." Everyone, of course, comes back for a third just to pit his personal prowess against the allegedly devastating power of the drink.
Third, the multiplicity of various rums and other ingredients is an offense against the first principles of drink mixing and adds nothing to the flavor or other values of the drink. Two rums would do as well as four or five. The 151 Demerara adds nothing to the flavor of the drink, and the quantity used is too microscopic to add appreciably to the alcoholic strength. The mere mention of 151-proof liquor, however, is sufficient to add to the mental hazard of the unsophistcated consumer of the drink.
Twenty different bars serving this drink will probably put up eighteen to twenty different versions of it."

T

**** PUBLIC WARNING ****

This public notice just in from Americans Stopping Stupid Weak Ass Drinks (ASSWAD)-

Do not order the Zombie at Li's restaurant under any circumstances!!!

The drink has been determined to have less alcoholic content than Morman urine.

Thank you for your attention to this public health warning.

BUY WAR BONDS

GOD BLAST AMERICA

I'M A DANKEE YOODLE DANDEE

E PUBIC UNUM

ANNUIT COITUS

S

On 2002-08-09 13:42, Tiki_Bong wrote:
**** PUBLIC WARNING ****

This public notice just in from Americans Stopping Stupid Weak Ass Drinks (ASSWAD)-

Do not order the Zombie at Li's restaurant under any circumstances!!!

The drink has been determined to have less alcoholic content than Morman urine.

Hey Bong,

I just went back to Li's for the first time after our amazing OC Pub Crawl and I gotta say that I wasn't too impressed with their Lapu or Fogcutter! Is there a drink there that you would recommend? Tina and I really enjoyed the Scorpion we had but we were already primed from the Lapus at the Royal Hawaiian!

Please advise. My public health depends on it!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

T

Uncle Arty,

I would order any of the drinks at Li's as long as you have the official 'Al and Shelly Emergency Weak-Ass Drink Modification Kit' (AASEWADMK) aka a big bottle of Myer's rum.

I have found that there is a major problem with having my own tiki bar and with said item, making my own tropically-influenced drinks - and that is: ALL OTHER BAR AND RESTAURANT DRINKS SUCK!

On a side note however, feel free to contact me and mine (or just me) and will do something or other, as I found you and yours, as well as all other crazy-bus occupants great folks to hang with.

S

On a side note however, feel free to contact me and mine (or just me) and will do something or other, as I found you and yours, as well as all other crazy-bus occupants great folks to hang with.

Excellent!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Al smuggling in the Myers! You going to Big Bro's party?

By the way and slightly off topic, I know you are a HUGE X fan. Did you hear about the Inland Invasion featuring X, Social D, Circle Jerks, et. al. and the return of the Sex Pistols (minus one Sid Vicious, of course)? 25 years of punk rock at Blockbuster Pavillion on Sept. 14! It's almost seems to good to be true. Tickets on sale tomorrow. You going? Unfortunately, I will be in NYC. :(

A

YES, THAT'S RIGHT NEVER BE CAUGHT WITHOUT YOUR "ALNSHELY'S WEAK ASS DRINK MODIFICATION KIT". IT COULD BE THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE WEAK ASS DRINK. BE PREPARED TO DEAL WITH WEAK ASS DRINKS WHERE EVER YOU MAY ENCOUNTER THEM.

Bong, you crack me up, that is too funny. Here's my favorite Zombie recipe:
From "Hawaii, Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine" by Don the Beachcomber.
3/4 OZ Lime Juice
1/2 OZ Grapefruit Juice
1/2 OZ Fallernum
1/2 OZ Simple Syrup
1-1/4 OZ Light Puerto Rican Rum
1 OZ Lemon Hart Demerara Rum
1 OZ Meyers's Dark
1 OZ Appleton Estate Rum
1 OZ Ron Zacapo Rum (or MT. Gay?)
2 dashes Pernod
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 Dash Absinthe, Pernod
3 dashes Grenadine
3/4 Marashino Liquor
1 Kitchen Sink
Pour all ingredients (everything exept the Kitchen sink) into a blender with a handful of cracked ice. pour into 14 OZ glass with a few ice cubes. Garnish with spear of pineapple, orange, cherry and sprig of mint. serve with straw. Use Kitchen Sink if stomach is upset.
A Tribe Called Tiki,
Al

[i]Alnshely wrote: "1 Dash Absinthe"

Hell, why not go the whole hog and add an ounce or 2 of Absinthe.....after that unholy mixture you'll be glad of the hallucinations.

Trader Woody

S

WOW, AL!

NOW, THAT'S A ZOMBIE!!! LAGOON ROOM, HERE I COME!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

T

Hey Uncle Arty,

Me and Madam Bong cannot attend Big Bro's gig, and for the only Tiki-Central approved reason possible: we are having our own tiki-spiced luau. I am bummed but I know that we we all hook up again at later dates. Be it the Tiki Farm bash, Bamboo Ben's 'Gathering of the Tribes', next year's Tiki Oasis, or the H.B. P.D. drunk tank.

Regarding the inland empire (who the hell ever thought up that one?) gig with X: yes we are huge X (I guess I could also say capital X) fans, but I'm afraid to go to the inland empire after years of haranging inlanders cause they might whoop my ass!

I remember (barely) going to an X gig in L.A. in about 1981 when 'Wild Gift' came out. I jumped up on stage and planted a big kiss on Exene and then got knocked off by some security guy.

S

I'm afraid to go to the inland empire after years of haranging inlanders cause they might whoop my ass!

Not too mention THE HEAT -- MY GOD, THE HEAT! Haranging inlanders! That's hilarious!

Man, I am so bummed I can't make it to Gathering of the Tribes at Bamboo Ben's! I have to work a double shift that day!!! Of all days!

To get back on the subject -- yes, the Tribe will all meet again and we WILL DRINK THE REAL ZOMBIES!

Cheers,

Uncle Arty

T

Oh come on now boys, the heat out here just makes you thirstier. Not a big deal when you have the proper attitude and fixin's. Unfortunately the whole world can't be a beach town. Some of us have to sit out here and bake our asses off.

p.s. Trustar and folk will be gladly attending any and all of the galas by the shore this summer.

See you there

Trustar

Trustar,

I been on both sides of the thermometer. I used to live in the middle of no where in the Mojave Desert in the sh%# hole known as China Lake Naval Weapons Center.

And I once thought that the Navy meant tropic bases and hula girls not blast furnace heat and horny toads!

Hey Trustar,

I grew up out there and the wife and I still commute inland daily to work. I gotta give you credit for seeing the tiki mug half full, bro! I'm quite certain that the cool beach breezes have made me soft, but after seeing the weather report this morning for the Inland Empire...104 degrees!!! Yikes!!! I'm never coming back baby, but I am sure I speak for Bong and the rest of the OC Tribe -- you are always welcome here, man!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

T

Hey Bong and Arty

Thanks for the cool breeze posts.
We needed every little bit we could get today. I lost two pair of flip-flops in the melting, bubbling asphalt! We always try to have a cool tiki day but this one made us a
"sufferin' bastard". It's pretty bad when I wish I was back at work in East L.A.!

Can't wait until next weekend till I can soak the feets in the surf. We are going to bring down the RV and stay the weekend. We'll try to hook-up, maybe Saturday night?

See y'all then.

Trustar

Trustar,

Are you going to the Gathering of the Tribes at Ben's?

T

Bong

Would not miss it for the world.
We are trying to get the whole Trustar tribe there in all their glory. Hope to see you and Debbie there with all of the usual suspects.
Trustar

Hey Bong and Trustar (et. al.),

I can't tell you how bummed I am that I'm gonna miss you all at "Gathering of the Tribes." This is the one Sunday out of the year that I have to work (happened last year at this time with Tiki Oasis I)! This is especially painful since I'm close enough to ride my friggen' bike there!!!

So drink an exotic for me and mine and we'll be there in spirit! Hopefully we'll catch up with you at Tiki Farm or the Shag event in Brea.

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-08-14 11:36 ]

A

I've recently started a 'how many published Zombie recipes are there?' thread

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45967&forum=10&start=0

I spotted this thread while checking there was nothing similar to what I intended to start = I'd like to bump this thread for having the same topic, going off topic & being hilarious :)

Pages: 1 20 replies