Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shag All About the Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

Hi,
We're selling off the last few remaining Shag items online at 6pm pst Wed., Jan. 28th. Due to the overwhelming mixed reviews from many on TC regarding Shag and the libel he's received here and due to the fact that he's my friend, this will be my last update to TC regarding Shag upcoming sales - it's my perrogative just as it is yours to post what you feel. For those of you who admire his work and appreciate his talent and our hard work, so much mahalo for your support... from a little ku in a big ku world.
Your amigo,
Holden

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:01 ]

Hey Holden,
Can you keep me posted as to Tiki Farm / Shag stuff?

I'm quite happy with my purchases from the IATT Night.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

That really stinks. But I can certianely see where you are coming from. It's ok though I check your and SHAG's site's both daily anyway, I'll keep the updates coming.

That rots, To heck with the naysayers, I love Shags artwork, and can barley afford to collect it. PLEASE continue to post alerts concerning his artwork.
Thanks Jay

T

Thanks for the updates. I appreciate the information as it seems, others do as well. It seems that there has been a lot less Aloha spirit going around here lately.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-01-22 07:13 ]

Thanks for the update Holden!! Hopefully we will be lucky enough to buy a mug!

Thanks for the notice Holden. I will try to pick one or two items up. Personally, I feel it is unfortunate that a few can ruin a good thing for everyone. I've always enjoyed both Josh & your own work and I will continue to purchase both. I understand where you are coming from & respect your decision....but it is a bummer. Thanks again for your continued hard work.

Yeah it is a bummer. I don't know what to say.
Mahalo,
Al

T

I don't know about anyone else, but the way I use these forums is to READ the TOPIC and then if I find it interesting I CLICK on it and then READ the post. If I find it UNinteresting to me then I DON'T click on it and move to the next topic.

Holden, please keep us informed in your Friends of the Farm emails. Aloha and Mahalo!

Hi,
Thanks for the emails and good words you guys, I really appreciate it! You can always get the Shag info from our opt-in email list, which you can subscribe into on our homepage at http://www.tikifarm.com/html/index.asp or you can access it by going to our main/splash page at http://www.tikifarm.com and then click on "enter tiki farm".
Mahalo!

smogbreather,
Always have enjoyed your posts and you shouldn't have to feel any deterrence here.
Hell, look at me.

This is painfully absurd.

I can see why Holden (and Shag) would opt out of here with the way people act sometimes, but how dumb is it that it would come to this?

It's like being back in high school and having your 'intentionally uncool' friends declare that something is suddenly crap, just because it got that horrible sheen of mainstream success.

I mean - oh the horror! Someone found a way to make Tiki appeal to the masses! They're even making money off of it!
Can't people be happy for them?

Tiki Farm and Shag are significant factors in tiki culture being something that is alive today, not just something we hoard from the past.

This is just depressing.

[ Edited by: Tikitronic on 2004-01-22 12:07 ]

It does suck.

I mean Holden is a salesman, and Shag is an artist. And in the terms of Shag and Von Franco, and The Pizz, it is art , not just a pack of chiki tiki ( the company not the person ) mugs.

I do think that Holden should still post here, and those who don't like his offerings, well, they've made their point.

Its just getting ridiculous. Can I be in the incredibly cool tiki-phile cabal that determines whats cool, and what isn't?
TG

I, for one, would still love to see TikiFarm & Shag postings here. Though I may not be able to afford anything at the moment, I still enjoy seeing what's new.

-Z

Hi Holden,

Thanks for posting your decision, it's been cool to get the inside scoop here. But it seems like all this will do is make the people here who do not like Shag happy, and bum out all the people here who do like Shag. That seems to be completely opposite of any desired effect.

~Hanford

A

I won't miss the news much as I get the e-mails, but it's always been cool when production shots were shown here first. It was often a glimpse into the creation of the items as well as an early preview. Hopefully you'll change your mind!

It's sad that one of the premiere modern Tiki item producers no longer wants to go to Tiki Central.
A

Holden,

I do really hope you change your mind. As you can see from this thread there are alot of supporters for Shag's work. I am on your email distribution list, but check TC more than I check my email. I think it's great that Shag has found mainstream success, the more items he creates the more choices I have. I don't always have the money when a new item comes out, so I love knowing that I'll have another chance.

BTW ... I received a shipment from you last week and really enjoy the items. They have found a happy home in my tiki display.

E

I was pleased as hell to have won an eBay auction for a Shag Enchanted Tiki Room neck pendant doohickey just this week! Shag is doing what I would much rather be doing than any job I have ever had. Shag is cool. Shag is A-okay with me.

aloha, em.

ah what the heck - okay, I'll keep posting Shag info. I never intended to stop doing Tiki Farm posts, those will always continue (and not an onslaught/spam style, just to give heads up). Friends and family are first, business is second. Having said that... may I present you all first officially with the long anticipated release of the illustrious Kevin Kidney's Miehana...

Kevin did this piece out of a pure passion for Tiki. Having founded the "Save the Tiki Room" coalition & also having been one of the original tiki curators... well, we're stoked to have this mug as a pinnacle piece in our line-up. The mug's featured with an exotic recipe in Beachbum Berry's most recent publication "Intoxica".

Be the first to pre-book. Call us toll-free at (800) 357-3360. Item Nr. BA704; price $11.95

Mahalo all!
Holden

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2004-01-22 20:28 ]

Let me be the first to say that that's pretty damn sweet. and in my post-Xmas price range too!

-Z

Glad to have you back

E

Damn, that is...damn! That's just right up my alley. You'll get a call from me soon Holden. The inside glaze, the shape of the top...I am speechless.

em.

Great item!!!

I for one am very pleased that you will still post updates!

Now I know I'm bound by the Grand Member Oath, but I would like to say that a little quip by a comedic magician I heard once sorta sums up how I feel about the Shag Bashers.

Just ask yourself everytime you go on some denegrating rant, if Holden comes down to where you work and slaps the d*&k out of your mouth?

I loved that phrase ever since I heard the magician use it when the guy in the audience revealed how a trick was done.

Maybe the equitable thing to do is The Shag Bashers can set up a thread where they grunt and groan about how much they hate Shag for being successful. And they keep their Mewlings in that thread, and out of Holdens updates on product?

And if you think it's overly P.C., its not about PC. It is about civility.

And please don't get on my back because of the anology I used. It is just that, and analogy to try and make ya think about why it's crappy to crap on Holden.

TG

edited for typo

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-01-22 22:33 ]

#
#54 posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2004 9:17 PM

Sweet Mug!

I LIKES!

That is a thing of beauty!

Forgive my ignorance, but what does Miehana mean/refer to?

Now that's more like it! Let's not ever go there again. I'd like to see Tiki Central remain an open forum for all tiki related material. I still get your friends of the farm E-mail, but occasionally I get lazy and miss stuff I pick up on later here. Keep up the good work Holden.

hey, its about time kevin has his mug out. nice work kevin(though i dont think you are a tc member) look forward to picking one of these up.
holden, is this a limited production run?

H

Tikitronic -- try saying Miehana backwards. :wink:

Holden, I'm very glad you've decided to continue posting notices when you have new Shag pieces. Hopefully the "Shag Sucks" nattering nabobs will realize their horse is dead already and just let the many, many people who love his work live in peace.

T

Miehana, Miewana, Miegotta! Thanks Holden. Looking to gettin' da Big Puka's mug when it is released!

That mug is awesome. Just pre-booked mine!

Sorry to arrive here late.

Holden is one of those wonderful, enthusiastic people who are great for Tiki in all its forms.

I'm sorry to see such a great guy feel like he was feeling. Holden, I hope this thread has served as official notice that the Tiki world would be much less great without you and Tikifarm in it.

Tonight, the Outrigger's mugs will take their maiden voyage and be hoisted in your honor.

Maybe that new Pizz Volcano mug, too! But that is a tall order, dude.

A

Thanks Holden for posting the pics. The mug looks great!

Geeky Tiki - That Outrigger Emperor mug ought to hold you over for awhile. It's freakin' huge!

A

C

On 2004-01-22 11:44, Tikitronic wrote:
Tiki Farm and Shag are significant factors in tiki culture being something that is alive today, not just something we hoard from the past.

Yup.

Holden, more than a few of us found TC because of Shag. I'm glad you changed your mind.

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2004-01-25 23:11 ]

K

Hi Holden. Just wanted to let you know that I found this board because of Shag and that I found Shag because of someone who frequents this board. I love his work. I say Poo Poo to anyone who is a naysayer. They can go create another board.

I love it here. Thanks for that.

Kdoo

Glad to hear from you again Holden, keep the posts coming.

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:02 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2004 4:09 PM

My wahine would be upset about that news too being she loves his work! besides Shagmart this is where she goes for sales info on Shag. I think that would be a mistake for Shag lovers. We cannot pleez everybody brah.

So please dont stop da Shag because you know ho da song goes "if mama aint happy aint no body happy"

oooo I hate being at work when something is going to sell out fast! I missed those three shag mugs by a couple of minutes!! Ahh well, maybe this wednesday.

That new mug is so cool! We just pre-booked. Kevin is the coolest! We keep hoping to see Kevin's Tiki Room mug appear. Everytime we go to Disneyland we hold our breath and walk into Tropical Imports hoping it will be there waiting for us and our Mai Tais. We love Shag and are glad that you will still post. Tiki Farm introduced Shag to us and now we are hooked!

Here's the link for the Shag sale information...
http://www.tikifarm.com/html/shag_all_tiki_sale_info.htm
Look through Copro Nason's "Shag: The Night of the Tiki" - these are the inspirations for the 3-pack. There is a 4th tiki "sentinel" type god that we considered, but he was a little stark so we opted to go with the Marquesan even though his overall look was different/more "rounded".

Wahaku Warrior stands guard with swizzle stick in hand (plus an extra if you lose it!).

Anybody remember ebachelorpad? Click on this link...
http://www.studio531.com/html/flashShowcase.asp
then click on the island on the right hand side. Check out my old tiki digs at "Club Swank"... be sure to click around (it's interactive) so you can get to the "Tiki Grotto" bar out back. This was the predecessor to the farm... believe it or not, I used to rep Bosko & Munktiki (when they had their one mug Bugeye).

S
SES posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2004 6:19 AM

On 2004-01-27 00:51, smogbreather wrote:
Anybody remember ebachelorpad? Click on this link...
http://www.studio531.com/html/flashShowcase.asp
then click on the island on the right hand side. Check out my old tiki digs at "Club Swank"... be sure to click around (it's interactive) so you can get to the "Tiki Grotto" bar out back. This was the predecessor to the farm... believe it or not, I used to rep Bosko & Munktiki (when they had their one mug Bugeye).

That's fun! Thanks for posting the link! Glad you decided to stick around. :)

C

Well, it took my order. Let's see what happens! It already says everything is sold out!

I probably took too long inputting my credit card info.

AAAAHHHH!!

M

Just placed my order. I cut and pasted my CC info so that it would be faster. I only ordered one item as adding multiple items to the cart takes time and we all know "a tiki in the hand is worth two in the bush!"

N

I made my order too! I hope I get the mugs, they are too cool not to have.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-01-28 21:55 ]

Darn it all, I missed the All About the Tiki sale due to the fact that I was picking up my Shag Big Mug print at the post office!
How ironic.

Love the print, that is one BIG mug!

TB

Hopefully i got in on time, do we find out for sure in 72 hours?

A lot of people were envious of Leeteg in his heyday, just like some are with Shag today. Says more about the character of the person in my opinion. Can't we just all Shag?

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies