Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

What's the name of your home tiki bar or tiki space?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 269 replies

A

Currently under construction, our tiki bar lounge's name (at least for now) is Bambooze Lounge -- stealing the name from a Thor mug.

lake and zulu your rooms are amazing!

[ Edited by: hala bullhiki 2008-03-19 16:09 ]

There are some really incredible rooms posted here. I'm don't have a basement yet, so I've set up a corner in the little upstairs loft of our condo that acts as our den. I haven't been working on it very long, but the lack of space limits what I can do (or what my wife will allow me to do). Hey, we all have to start somewhere, right? Here is... (after extensive research) Lani Huina, which apparently means "Heavenly Corner".

By the way, all the booze is tucked away in the bar (actually a bookshelf upholstered with beach mats and bamboo strips). It's a work in progress, like most of our home Tiki bars.

[ Edited by: brandomoai 2008-03-27 19:57 ]

Okay, still gathering "stuff" and material as the the bar is "in the works", so no pictures yet, but finally settled on the "Lilo Lounge" (Lilo meaning "Lost")

S

Well, all the way back on page one of this thread, OakTiki and my space, the "Lounge of the Seven Pleasures" was mentioned, but I guess I never got around to posting the explanation in this thread or any pictures.

The short version is that the Original "Lounge of the Seven Pleasures" was one of several rooms in New York's "Hawaii Kai". Here's a wonderful four frame postcard I stumbled into-

and specifically this frame (close up)-

The postcard describes the frame as the "Lounge of the Seven Pleasures, Featuring Authentic Native Entertainment".

Even though neither OakTiki nor I ever made it to the Hawaii Kai, we named our little space such to honour the memories of Tiki Treasures now gone, as a way of keeping those torches lit (which is why among other things our bar features a 'shelf of honour' filled with mugs from Kahiki- 'my' Tiki experience that led me here, and a small 'altar' of sorts with artifacts to the memory of the Kahiki.)

These days, our home space has sort of expanded to take over yet still more of the basement, so recently we've come to refer to it as 'The Lounge of the Seven Pleasures and Kapu Gardens' as there's now sort of an indoor 'garden' area under development as an entryway and transitional space to the Lounge proper. In winter, the shadowy gardens filled with plenty of fake flowers are a wonderful antidote to external gray gloom.

Unfortunately, I don't have many recent pictures of the Lot7P, but these capture the mood of it;

The entrance the Lounge from the Kapu Gardens-

An ancient picture of OakTiki behind an early version of the bar from the first ever "Night of the Seven Pleasures". (The bar itself, the Rum collection and the mixology have all improved greatly since then!)

Your Mai Tai awaits!

The Lounge has a permanent gallery on my sevenpleasures.org site- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/MD-LOTSP and a folder of pictures from the lounge here- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Pictures-of-the-Lounge-itself where from time to time I've posted pictures of recent developments. Clearly, I'm WAY overdue for an update.

The bar itself is vintage, 'imported' from EXOTIC New Jersey. There are also a wonderful old Hey-Wake sofa and loveseat with end tables that round out the seating area. The Lounge is part of a walk out basement with a small kitchen area and full bath nearby. All of which makes indoor Lounge /outdoor Tiki torch lit gatherings possible during the warmer months.

It still needs a ton of work, but it's our little piece of bamboo basement paradise.

[ Edited by: Sabina 2008-03-27 18:17 ]

H

Sabina, you have always been a great contributor to this website. Nice to see you posting again, your bar and the name fit just perfectly.

H

The Jungalero Room (or lounge). Named after the Les Baxter tune 'Jungalero'. Not necessarily my most fave exotica tune-but a damn fine one none-the-less and I just like the 'ring' of the name 'Jungalero Room'-(or lounge). It's still a work in progress but the meat of it is done--just need some carvings, clubs, gope boards, maybe-other art, etc. to go on the empty spots on the walls. Soon!

Dang Howland... That's a mighty fine spread ya' got there!
Love the bar! Can you tell us a little more about the tiki pole on the bar and the canoe carving?
For what it's worth, I think "The Jungalero Lounge" has a better ring to it. Really rolls of the tounge.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Holy Crapoly Howland!! That's some awe-inspiring work you've done there!! Love it love it! Any more pics?

H

Thanx, TR and DD. I should've attached a link to my thread in 'other crafts'. I have progress shots of the inside and outside. I did the carvings myself TikiRoyale and they're on my 'carving' thread which I haven't posted on in so long that it may be hard to find.

Here's the thread for 'The Jungalero Lounge' and my yard hut/outdoor bar/patio project (tentatively called 'The Hukilau Hut')
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20343&forum=18&168

What a fun idea! My hawaiiana/tiki room is not finished..but I will start dreaming of a name...any suggestions?

tanks and aloha ~tiki butt

WOW! That's it...WOW!!! Maybe...HOW? But mostly WOW!!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a MAI-TAI in The Jungalero Lounge!

Don't have the Tiki Bar & Lounge finished yet, but we've named it The Ku Ku's Nest!

H

At the Hakalugi household we're considering the following:

The Salty Spittoon
The Pakalolo Lounge
The Sunken Mess
The Garbage Grotto
and the very untiki; The Sh*tHole

So far it's a fiveway tie. Ideas please...

WOW! what a awesome space you have! really cool! i would love to sip a Mai Tai there..

T

Ours is the "Ohana be gonna lounge"
Nice to have you back sabina!

I was thinking about "La'iki Lanai" which seems to translate as "narrow patio". However the English to Hawaiian dictionary also listed "pakele mahunehune" which isn't as easy to say but means "narrow escape" which is so fitting.

On 2008-04-14 16:58, bamboo stu wrote:
I was thinking about "La'iki Lanai" which seems to translate as "narrow patio". However the English to Hawaiian dictionary also listed "pakele mahunehune" which isn't as easy to say but means "narrow escape" which is so fitting.

This turned out nice....
Good going !!

My space is called the Freeki Tiki Bar. I just moved and my wife isn't too wild about redesigning/repurposing one of the rooms just yet. I did get a custom sign made for the bar. It is a Derek Yaniger original.

....once again, having moved, i am starting to build a new tiki bar....actually 2 bars.....the first one is on the enclosed backporch, to be called "TINY'S PYGMY HUT" .....I will be starting a separate thread shortly to view the progress.....

The other bar, which will be the main bar, is in the finished attic....it's called the "HEADHUNTER HIDEAWAY" and South Seas Lounge......

again...later this year i'll post a thread to view progress on that one as well.......

Here is the tiki bar on the side of my home in Orlando Florida.

The bar was supposed to be called "Mahoe Lama" which is Hawaiian for "Twin Torches" since
the bar has two torches installed on the awning. I ordered the sign on the Internet and the lady
got the words wrong and it actually says "Mahoe Lana" which loosely means "Twin Peaks" or "Twin Boobs".

I did not notice it at all. My wife noticed the error after I had already mounted the sign. It was so funny and made such a good story we decided to keep it. Here are a few pics.

There are more pictures here: Mahoe Lana Tiki Bar

I think the name of my tiki bar is going to be " kalinaKona Lounge ". That is my fathers name in hawaiian and he presently has lung cancer and is trying to fight that. What you guys think, sound good or no??

TT

My bar was always referred to as "The Tiki Bar" or "The Bar" or "Down the Back" or "The F#@king Bar"... pretty creative i know..

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Apr 21, 2008 3:14 PM

On 2008-04-21 14:50, TikiMeplus3 wrote:
I think the name of my tiki bar is going to be " kalinaKona Lounge ". That is my fathers name in hawaiian and he presently has lung cancer and is trying to fight that. What you guys think, sound good or no??

I think that is a great way to remember him, every time you have a drink it will be in his memory.

Hi Everyone :)
I'm new to TC (What a GREAT place!)
I've been working on my backyard Tiki Lounge Bar for about 6 weeks and I am almost finished. I really haven't thought of a name for it. Maybe you guys can help me think of one. Here are some pics to give you an idea of what it looks like. As you can see, my dog Barlow has already moved in.
Thanks!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 8:52 AM

Seems like it should be called The Barlow Lounge.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 8:53 AM

P.S. Welcome to T.C.

A

Tiki BarLow?

I never thought to use my dogs name. Hmmmmmmm now I'm starting to get some ideas

S

Tipsy, I hear ya. Working on Hapa Haole Hideaway 3 now. Here is a progress pic:

Tearing out the old closet and found lots of water and termite damage. If it weren't for siding, we'd have no wall! One day, this will be the Tapa Room, and no more cat door in the window...

On 2008-04-22 08:53, GROG wrote:
P.S. Welcome to T.C.

Thanks for the Welcome!

T

Well, I HAVE been leaning toward "The Friki Tiki Bar".
I just saw a name VERY close to that posted here so
I MAY be changing it, we'll see.
Other possibilities:
Kalika's ? (Chris' ?)
The Lala Lounge (tribute to Lala of Tiki Bar TV fame)
The Taco Tiki Hut (mentioned in the new B-52s
single, "Funplex", it's a made-up "food court eatery")
The Martin Den(ny) (tribute to... you'll figure it out)
others that I haven't thought about yet

[ Edited by: tikigik 2008-04-22 19:29 ]

The name of my tiki bar is The Kahiki Klub. I built it in 2001, last year I redid the bar in mahogany and this year I'm re-thatching the roof and replacing the "Klub" pool. Here are a couple of photos, and you can watch a live web cam of the renovation at http://www.kytrakennels.com/cam
Cheers

[ Edited by: Kahiki Klub 2008-05-02 12:23 ]

[ Edited by: Kahiki Klub 2008-05-02 12:24 ]

[ Edited by: Kahiki Klub 2008-05-02 13:46 ]

8T

That place looks awful. Awful sweet that is :)

• poof *

?

[ Edited by: Paddy O'furniture 2008-05-05 03:53 ]

T

Pool & Tiki...ain't nothin better..
Might want to change your pool to the salt system... less chemicals... I throw a bag of 50 lbs of salt every 2 months and every friday 16 ounces of acid into the pool.... salt system computer tells you if there's a problem...

COMING SOON:

MOKU DOOM ( the island of doom)

T

The Ohana Be Gonna Lounge.

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2012-02-01 10:12 ]

The Atomic Tiki Lounge of course!

In Honor of a great man

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2010-02-10 23:10 ]

The Long Beachcomber Room

"The Boom Boom Room", it just kinda stuck. It may not be that tiki, but it souinds "exotic" enough, and has some history. But now that the Standard in NY uses the name, I may need to re-name it.

W

The Wayfarer Pan-Pacific Lounge

It's still in the conceptual phase but it'll happen.

The Lei Inn

(signage to be made)

C

I'm probably a couple of years away from getting enough done on mine to be ready to name it, but it'll probably be either Cottesloe Beach or No Worries. Either way, it'll feature lotsa mugs, lotsa coconut rum, and a mixed tiki/parrothead/beach bar/surfing/sailing/Caribbean style.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 269 replies