Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

What's the name of your home tiki bar or tiki space?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 269 replies

I have started construction in my basement tiki bar. I have been working on it whenever I get a little extra time which is rare. The work is slow but it is going well. I have been working on a fake lava rock fountain with waterfall in the corner of the room. Right now, the name I am calling my bar is "The Kava Lava Lounge". Not sure if it will stick or not.

tj

T

Mine is called "Kanna WishMa Wife waleme Makone" Well maybe 10 years down the road when the basement turns from kiddie playland to the adult playground.

Mine is called "The Stink Bog" until I can think of something better.

C

Mine is called The Shell Bar, an homage to Martin Denny.

My as of yet unborn bar is referred to as "The Kanaloa Lounge"

Here's some sketches of it:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13289&forum=7

My living room is what I call Pan Tropical with stuff from Africa, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, The Phillipines, Mexico and Brazil (or at least inspired by them) The rest (kitchen, bathroom, dinette, bedroom, and patio) is decorated with stuff I brought back from living in Hawaii or have collected since moving back to CA, some new, some vintage. So I named my whole apartment Miki Place after the street I used to live on in Kaneohe. And as I just posted elswhere, I have named our old apartment pool area (pool was filled in with dirt two years ago by managment and converted into a huge planter that I, as landscape manager, have filled with palms, bananas, bird of paradise, ect.) The Tiki Garden. Not very original, but I think anything more obscure would be lost on our residents.

I have been working on my for a couple of weks now. We had to move a lot of boxes but so far it have worth the effort. I will be calling my room the "That's Tiki Pilrim" You need to vision John Wayne when you say it.

S

"The Loma Loma Lounge"

Why? Seemed fitting since we moved to Point Loma (San Diego), home of the Bali Hai.

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 2:55 AM

Currently my tiki space is called "the top shelf", and consists of the top shelf of my desk. I am still studying at home, so space (and money) is not something I have a lot of.

When I get my own house, the tiki space will be "Hewey's Tiki Bar" or "Hewey's Tiki Lounge", depending upon the set up. Nice and creative isn't it? :) I like the way is sounds though.

I have the name ... but no lounge yet..
This has been a total work in progress for a long time now. Because of this years rains it's back to the drawing board.
I am calling it the TONGA TERRACE!!!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:07 ]

"The Granite Tiki Lounge" is the name I've chosen for my two tiki bars (indoor and outdoor) named after my home state of course, and pictures will be coming soon!
PS. If anyone knows where I can buy a Granite Tiki, any info would be appreciated. :)

"Spermy's Blowhole" when it's done!! Still working on it!!!

RB

Mrs. RB & I have finally settled on "The Aloha Deck" for our outside bar area. We have a small backyard that we completely decked over, and set up shop there in the summer.

P
pablus posted on Mon, Jul 4, 2005 4:12 PM

The Lagoon Lounge:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8863&forum=7

http://www.thehukilau.com/TCimages/139-4000_IMG.JPG

http://www.thehukilau.com/TCimages/140-4002_IMG.JPG

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5711&forum=7&vpost=53466

Always in flux, The Lagoon Lounge is currently sporting some terrific new pieces by Basement Kahuna and others.
I'm waiting to get my TIki Tony Tiki in before taking more shots. There are a LOT more plants. More bamboo. An active volcano and rum distillery.

Well.
Not the last two.

But it's still cool.

E

Hutikihi.

I've been working down in the basement and wrote "Git 'er done" on the lighted menu board (like it would actually inspire me). I changed it when the 4th of July came around:

Recently, Steve and I looked up "monkey" on a hawaiian-english online dictionary, (Mo'o and Lolo's Cyber Hawaiian Dictionary) and it said the translation for "monkey" is "Keko". So since we collect and love monkeys, and his nickname for me is "monkey", we have affectionately dubbed our tiki room "Keko Cove".

Now we just have to figure out how to pronounce Keko correctly. I say "Keh-Koe". He says "Kay-Koe". Anyone know? lol!

Steve & Lenore
(Proud parents of The Keko Cove! Even if they cant pronounce it yet!) :wink:

"The Little Grass Shack." Appropriate since my home is a wee one room studio.

On 2005-07-06 22:54, Exoticat wrote:
Hutikihi.

I've been working down in the basement and wrote "Git 'er done" on the lighted menu board (like it would actually inspire me). I changed it when the 4th of July came around:

That's just beautiful. Now I know why I started by basement tiki bar project. You're my hero!

E

Oh, thank you so much! It all starts with a dream...then be
prepared to lose hours and hours and hours of your life...
(but it's well worth it!)

Way back as a Marine brat in Okinawa in the 1970s, there used to be a couple of places that inspired me for naming my Tiki space.

On Fort Buckner (later Camp Butler), there was a restaurant called 'The Outrigger'. The place was run by AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service), and used to sell burgers, grilled items, etc. Anybody else who was a military brat will probably never forget the taste of AAFES chocolate milk. Anyway, I digress.

The decor was strictly 1960's (AAFES) cafeteria style, with a metal artwork that looked vaguely like an outrigger. IIRC, the colors were that 70s burnt orange and yellow/gold color... and probably some avocado green thrown in as well.

The other place was called 'The Lantern'. It was a snack bar and arcade on the north side of Camp Butler. The arcade was not a video arcade (this was early to mid 70s), but an assortment of non-video arcade games, like pinball, electronic bowling games, and the like.

Like the great Tiki places of the past, the Outrigger and the Lantern are long gone and forgotten. When I left the island for the last time in the early 80s, they were replacing the Outrigger with a Burger King, or some such thing. The Lantern was long gone by that time.

So, in honor of these places, I named my Tiki space 'The Outrigger'. 'Lantern' doesn't really fit in with Tiki decor, but I've dedicated my lava lamp to the joint.

Sorry to drone on for so long. This got me on a nolstaga trip... but anybody who lived/was stationed on Okinawa at the time may remember these places.

My bar is named The Lava-Flow-Inn. The only pics are on myspace.com under my name.

Our tiki space is pretty much the entire backyard. We have affectionately named the whole space the Big Woo Bar 'n Grill.

Soon the Woo will welcome one and all! Soooooon!

M

Just bought a new homestead and have started on a tiki bar extending off our built-in outdoor kitchen in our pool area. It's going to take a while.
It has affectionately been dubbed "The Imbibatorium"

8T

"The Imbibatorium"

I'll drink to that!

T

Currently, The Lahaina Lounge. I really liked the feel of the entire island of Maui while we were honeymooning there, and the name just sort of stuck.
My wife and I are talking about a bit of a change though, probably something a little more fiery sounding since I like using Volcano Bowls and flaming 151 whenever I can. We're thinking right now about something like Pele's Oasis or possibly Kalua-Pele (the pit of Pele) in homage to traditional hawaiian mythology.

M
F

The Leeward Lounge

The Name was generously donated by one Mr. Pablus.

C

Official name is "Mata Rani Lounge"......according to Thor in Kon Tiki...Mata Rani is Rapa Nui
for "The Eye of Heaven"...I think.....unofficial name of course is the Congatiki Lounge.....

S

'The Lani Lounge' is one of the name's on the shortlist at the moment, although seeing as it's mostly confined to the corner of a room perhaps it should be 'The Nani Nook'?

H

On 2004-01-23 13:05, Kentiki wrote:

The pool is called The Pool of Love

The pond is called The Pond of Mystery.

Carl Spackler: This place got a pool?

Ty Webb: Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.

Many of us have gone to great lengths to name our home Bars I know I did. I knew I wanted to name my bar even before we began to build it. My reason was to "Set a Mood" "Keep in Theme" My Home Bar Name? "The Kapu Cave" (Thanks Trader Tom)

"THE KAPU CAVE"

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-18 10:36 ]

Ours is the "Luau Cave" (you know, like how at the Polynesian Resort they call the showplace the "Luau Cove," well this is in our basement so it's the Luau Cave).

Since we live in Oakland, we named ours in honor of Mr. Bergeron...

Hinky Drinks!

Just like Hinky Dinks, it started it's life as not much more than a little wooden shed. When we put in the "serving window", we made the outside facade look similar to the glass brick windows of Hinky Dinks.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-03-18 13:13 ]

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge (see pictures on Flickr at the link I included in the thread posted earlier or go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/).

I was given the Dr. Zarkov nickname by friends at the University of Maryland because I wore glasses, smoked a pipe and read a lot. The original Dr. Zarkov was Flash Gordon's sidekick. We all used to regularly attend a film series on campus that included the old Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials.

I later used the Dr. Zarkov moniker as my on-air name for broadcasts on Radio Free Burning Man and later on the official radio station of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, where I hosted Tiki Lounge shows.

I think the name also fits well with the mixture of retro sci fi and Tiki in my home rec room.

my favorite place on earth is hala kahiki, my last name is buldak, thus hala bullhiki

8T

On 2008-03-18 18:03, hala bullhiki wrote:
my favorite place on earth is hala kahiki, my last name is buldak, thus hala bullhiki

I always wondered about that name. Thanks for explaining.

T

Aren't tiki bars always under construction? Mine is in the basement, so I named it "The Forbidden Grotto".. Off to one side in the next room is what I like to call "The Laundry Room" and the other two rooms are called "The TV Room" and "The Garage"... All of which currently resemble a "Train Wreck".

I freakin' build counter tops for a living, and I still don't one on my bar.

Thanks 8ft for changing the thread name it will be easier to find. I love all the great names people have come up with:)

see ya at "The Kapu Cave"

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-18 23:39 ]

My basement is modeled after a salvaged shipwreck. It is called 'The Kona Luanii'

T

Wow, it's finally done...I remember when you started the thread for it's construction. Congratulations, it looks great !
Nice use of the great, but lesser known Alex Keack for the soundtrack in the video.

Nicely done, Mike, gotta drop in sometime.

Our place is "The Haole Hut", named by Tikiwahine

B

My tiki space:

Hale Nalu.

It is a mix of late 50's, early 60's surf culture, traditional South Pacific and hints of Polynesian Pop.

Our new bar is called the King Kamehameha Lounge. Gotta post some pics too!

T

Holy Crap you guys have some sweet setups! Lake Surfer, I especially like your lighting and wall covering.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 269 replies