Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

rogain lawn tiki

Pages: 1 8 replies

N

I recently acquired a very crudely carved lawn tiki and was hoping to grow chia like locks on its round bald head. Does anyone know what kind of seeds to use for such an endeavor or what chia pets use for their heads?

Waikikian tiki garden tour
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

On 2004-02-03 16:11, naugatiki wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of seeds to use for such an endeavor or what chia pets use for their heads?

You should use CHIA seeds. Grass would probably work too.

Grass sounds like the ticket. Chia works best in a window sill and this is on the cold Pac NW tundra on an all weather tiki.

Moss would be cool, irish moss grows in a thick carpet... like this...

I think you can mix a bit up with milk in a blender, then smear it wherever you want it to grow. A bit of shade would probably be best if go with moss.

Aloha, eh
-Tikiwahine
"The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first"

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-02-04 12:09 ]

Here's some more info I found on the "moss" subject:
When rock is brought in from outside the property to construct a rock garden from scratch, it can look out of place. Its "newness" can stick out like a sore thumb, especially if there are no signs of weathering. Growing moss would solve this weathering problem, and, believe it or not, there's a trick for weathering rocks artificially with rock moss.

It's a job that involves strange bedfellows: namely, moss and your kitchen blender! Bring in some moss that you find growing somewhere -- this will be one of the ingredients of the "recipe." Besides moss, the other ingredients will be about 2 cups of yogurt, and about 4 ounces of potter’s clay to make the moss mixture stick better to the rocks. Puree the moss, yogurt and clay until you achieve a creamy consistency. Pour the moss mixture on your rocks. As the rock moss takes hold in your rock garden, mist it to keep it moist. And voila: you have instant weathering. Nothing gives rocks that "I've been here an eternity" look quite like rock moss.

N

Thanx, I'll give it a try since grass doesn't have that matting effect that moss does. And if I have any of that moss smoothie left I bet it's a good antitoxiant.

ewwww! I actually found a recipe for a pudding that uses irish moss...

Irish moss is a good source of carageenan, a thickening agent used in ice cream, salad dressing, toothpaste, and paints. It's also great for puddings. Try out this recipe for Irish moss pudding:

Ingredients

1/2 cup of dried Irish moss (or one cup fresh, washed Irish moss)
Three cups of milk
1/3 cup of sugar
1/8 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of vanilla

If using dried Irish moss, soak it in water for fifteen minutes. Add the moss to three cups of milk in the top of a double boiler and cook over boiling water for twenty-five minutes. Strain the milk to remove the seaweed. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir the mixture and pour it into individual molds. Chill and serve plain or with berries on top.

N

Or the tiki version would be to add two shots of Capt Morgan Rum and shaved ice to the mix then call it A "Seasick Pirate".

Is there a thread of bad attempts at homemade "tiki" cocktails? Personally I've given up mixing Tang with anything but for a breif moment I thought I was on to something.

hahahaha
that's hillarious!

We SHOULD post a thread of "don't try this at home" recipes! "Tiki Drinks Gone Bad"

Pages: 1 8 replies